Cannot redshift from distant objects be interpreted as gravitationalredshift, if the universe is wrapped around itself?

Old April 11th 08, 12:33 AM posted to sci.astro
N:dlzc D:aol T:com \(dlzc\)[_185_]

Default Cannot redshift from distant objects be interpreted as gravitational redshift, if the universe is wrapped around itself?

Dear Zanthius:

"Zanthius" wrote in message
On 10 Apr, 23:50, (Steve Willner)
wrote:
For the rest, Greg's answers all look correct to me.
In particular, cosmological redshift has nothing to
do with gravitational redshift.

Yes, Greg is a very knowledgeable person, and I
am starting to believe that he is right myself.

But I am still feeling quite certain that the universe
is not expanding. There must be some other
reason the redshift, not currently known to me.

You could try "bound systems are shrinking, along with their
clocks running faster to keep the constant distance
relationship". It is inherently wrong (or at least unhelpful),
but another way to look at it.

David A. Smith

Old April 11th 08, 12:43 AM posted to sci.astro
Zanthius

It is like if we are missing a very essential domain in our
astrophysical understanding of the cosmos.

It feels almost like if the current understanding of astrophysics is
like mathematics before they invented negative numbers.

It is something seriously wrong with the way we perceive the cosmos
today, it is like a whole domain of the cosmos is excluded from our
conceptualization.
Old April 11th 08, 01:23 AM posted to sci.astro
N:dlzc D:aol T:com \(dlzc\)[_186_]

Dear Zanthius:

"Zanthius" wrote in message
It is like if we are missing a very essential domain
in our astrophysical understanding of the cosmos.

It feels almost like if the current understanding of
astrophysics is like mathematics before they
invented negative numbers.

It is something seriously wrong with the way we
perceive the cosmos today, it is like a whole
domain of the cosmos is excluded from our
conceptualization.

We don't have a bible to tell us how Nature works. We rely on
those that "feel the burn" you are feeling, and who can find the
way out, to help all Mankind. Are you up to the challenge?

Because we have tried the obvious. We have tried the almost
obvious. We have tried the obscure and arcane. We have tried
the dead wrong. We are stuck with bailing wire and chewing gum,
strung between sculptures of fine gold as support (QM and GR), to
describe all that we see now.

So far, the way is trial and error. Likely will be until Mankind
is dust.

David A. Smith