info about SGP4 and traking gps satellites

Old January 17th 04, 06:38 PM
Giorgio

Default info about SGP4 and traking gps satellites

hi,
(excuse me for my bad english, i'm italian :-) )

i'm looking for SGP4 information, also for SDP4 ..
who can explain me what are SGP4 and SDP4 (used for tracking
satellite?)
i'm using a program "predict" for satellite trak on linux, that use
SGP4 & SDP4, .. i'd like to trak GPS navstar satellite, so i've
changed the database to do this, but is correct the use of SGP4 and
SDP4 for this kind of satellites ( distance 20.000 km) or there are
other kind of SGP that i've to use?

Anyone know a satellite tracking freeware software to use on linux?
link me

thanks!

Old January 17th 04, 10:22 PM
Ed Cannon

says...

i'd like to trak GPS navstar satellite....

Anyone know a satellite tracking freeware software to use on linux?
link me

On this page there's a freeware version of Highfly for Linux, and
it should be appropriate for tracking GPS, Glonass, geostationary,
drifting geosynchs, and highly eccentric orbits -- any with mean
motion less than 8:

http://users2.ev1.net/~mmccants/programs/index.html

It only gives text output, but for slow-moving satellites that
should be good if you're good at using RA and Dec for aiming your
telescope.

Here's another page that lists quite a few prediction programs:

http://www.satobs.org/orbsoft.html

Clear, dark nights --

Ed Cannon - - Austin, Texas, USA

Old January 18th 04, 12:57 AM