SpaceX doing anything today? (Sep 19)

Old September 19th 08, 09:53 PM posted to sci.space.history
Rick Jones[_3_]

Default SpaceX doing anything today? (Sep 19)

So, for the last few days, Wikipeida, that bastion of accurate
information has had a message box up at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcon_1

claiming:

This article contains information regarding a rocket that is
scheduled to launch in the next day.

[the last part changing based on how close to today one was...]

Details may change as the countdown and ascent progress. Launch
details: SpaceX will conduct a test flight of a Falcon 1 rocket,
launching from Omelek Island at Kwajalein Atoll. If successful,
this will be the first time a privately funded and developed
liquid-propelled rocket will reach orbit. Launch is believed to
be scheduled for 19 September 2008. See 2008 in spaceflight and
the Spaceflight Portal for further details.

Given how it will soon no longer be September 19th anywhere on the
globe, and there hasn't been anything from SpaceX I'm inclined to
think that wikipedia is in error but thought I'd toss it out there
lest someone else have (much) more credible data.

rick jones
Old September 19th 08, 11:58 PM posted to sci.space.history
Rick Jones[_3_]

Well, not long after the initial post, I see that SpaceX's website has
an update:

Posted September 19, 2008

Flight 4 of Falcon 1

As mentioned in my update last month, we do expect to conduct a
launch countdown in late September ? as scheduled.

Having said that, it is still possible that we encounter an issue
that needs to be investigated, which would delay launch until the
next available window in late October. If preparations go
smoothly, we will conduct a static fire on Saturday and launch
sometime between Tuesday and Thursday (California time).

The SpaceX team worked hard to make this launch window, but we
also took the time to review data from Flight 3 in detail. In
addition to us reviewing the data, we had several outside experts
check the data and conclusions. No flight critical problems were
found apart from the thrust transient issue.

Flight 5 production is well underway with an expected January
completion date, Flight 6 parts are on order and Flight 7
production will begin early next year. We are now in steady state
production of Falcon 1 at a rate of one vehicle every four months,
which we will probably step up to one vehicle every two to three
months in 2010.

--Elon--

In the picture of vehicle 4 on the pad there are two red bands on the
second stage I do not recall seeing before.

rick jones
Old September 20th 08, 04:07 AM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Rick Jones" wrote in message
So, for the last few days, Wikipeida, that bastion of accurate
information has had a message box up at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcon_1

Why do people whinge about Wikipaedia and then continue to cite it in
references? It's not perfect, but it's good for general knowledge. Best of
all, it's mostly easy to read; far surperior to most text books on any
subject listed.

Old September 20th 08, 06:55 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 03:07:48 GMT, "Alan Erskine"
wrote:

Why do people whinge about Wikipaedia and then continue to cite it in
references?

....Because you can't rely on admins to keep the trolls and vandals
from corrupting articles anymore. The reason's simple: get three or
four trolls and vandals together, have them create 3-5 hoze accounts
each - which isn't difficult when you have free wireless access in
different hotspots around town - then get one of your ilk granted
admin rights. Then your ilk owns whatever topic you choose to destroy.
Someone complains, bring the schill admin in, and the complainer gets
permabanned. Appeals don't work because if admins go against one
another, it destroys the authority of the legitimate admins. It's why
I've felt there needs to be an minimum age limit on admins, and an
immediate appellate process that forces at least five admins to
investigate any appeal with the one doing the appeal automatically
assumed to be innocent and in the right, with the burden of proof
being on the admin.

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old September 20th 08, 12:48 PM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_2_]

wrote:

Why do people whinge about Wikipaedia and then continue to cite it in
references?

...Because you can't rely on admins to keep the trolls and vandals
from corrupting articles anymore.

Nevertheless, people _still_ quote from Wiki and whinge about it. If they
don't like it, why quote from it?

Old September 22nd 08, 06:23 PM posted to sci.space.history
Rick Jones[_3_]

Alan Erskine wrote:
Nevertheless, people _still_ quote from Wiki and whinge about it.
If they don't like it, why quote from it?

In this specific instance at least, it was the only source known to me
with that information.

rick jones
Old September 23rd 08, 02:46 PM posted to sci.space.history
Eric Chomko[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

Who is to say that you can't get trolls and vandals doing the appeal
process? Your logic hasn't solved anything.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * OM
--
* *] * OMBlog -http://www.io.com/~o_m/omworld* [
* *] * * * *Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* * * * * [
* *] * * * * *an obnoxious opinion in your day! * * * * * [

SpaceX Launch Today Craig Fink Space Station 0 August 2nd 08 11:05 PM
SpaceX Launch Today Craig Fink Policy 0 August 2nd 08 11:05 PM
Westchester, NY, Weather today, reports Twittering Fl Today G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_] Misc 3 April 21st 07 02:23 AM
Westchester, NY, Weather today, reports Twittering Fl Today G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_] Misc 3 April 10th 07 10:04 PM
SpaceX - Why Not RS-27A? Ed Kyle Policy 50 October 11th 05 04:31 PM