OT South African Mystery Spheres

Old March 4th 05, 04:58 AM
Pat Flannery

Anthony Frost wrote:

...Pia Zadora is to the pre-Gen X'ers what Charro was to my
generation. Just exactly *what* that is, alas, is still being debated.

"She's in the attic"

Which deserves to be true dammit...

Hey, this little girl helped Santa Claus fight the Martians, I'll have
you know!:
http://www.badmovies.org/movies/sant...santamars3.jpg
That's Pia on the right; she was 22 at the time. ;-)

Pat
Old March 4th 05, 05:28 AM
pctech

I'm trying to get laptop in time for church camp summer job. Please
help if you can by using my referal link:
http://www.pctech4free.com/default.aspx?ref=59054

Thanks in advance.

Old March 4th 05, 09:32 AM
Damon Hill

Pat Flannery wrote in news:112fm3gs57s3u19
@corp.supernews.com:

Terrell Miller wrote:

Pat Flannery wrote:

I just took a bath, and Archimedes-like, had an inspiration: If you
were to entirely cover Pia Zadora in chocolate mousse, except for her
knees...

so how much water did you splash onto the bathroom floor, Pat?

Almost the whole two gallons it takes to fill the tub when I'm sitting
in it. :-)

Which is why I take showers.

--Damon There are no skinny people here. (saltines and lemon drops?)

Old March 4th 05, 05:42 PM
Pat Flannery

Damon Hill wrote:

(saltines and lemon drops?)

Try it, you'll like it. The trick is to try to keep them from rolling
off the saltine. :-)

Pat
Old March 4th 05, 06:11 PM
cyrille vanlerberghe

Henry Spencer a écrit :

No, Earth rocks go back to about 3.8, possibly a bit more if recent finds
have pushed things back further (I haven't kept current on this). Hmm,
"The Planetary Scientist's Companion" (a very useful reference), which is
copyright 1998, says that 4.1 is now the age record.

Yes, and the oldest know earth crystal is a zircon form Australia, age 4.3 -
4.4 byo (Nature 2002).

it sounds a little odd to me that a layer of pyrophyllite in South
Africa would date out at 2.8 - 3 byo.

That's not even exceptionally old by Earth standards. And some of the
oldest known Earth rocks *do* come from southern Africa, if memory serves,
although I couldn't tell you type or location.

Sedimentary rocks from the Barberton Greenstone Belt, east of Pretoria in
South Africa are 3.5 byo.
Cyrille
Old March 5th 05, 12:30 AM
Terrell Miller

Pat Flannery wrote:

Accidental taste sensation find: Saltine crackers and lemon drops.

heh.

When I was a kid we used to get a moutful of Fritos, then hold our
breath while we ate them underwater.

Why? because we were kids and it's summer g

--
Terrell Miller

"Every gardener knows nature's random cruelty"
-Paul Simon George Harrison
Old March 7th 05, 04:19 AM
Peter Stickney

Pat Flannery writes:

Damon Hill wrote:

(saltines and lemon drops?)

Try it, you'll like it. The trick is to try to keep them from rolling
off the saltine. :-)

Interesting idea. Does Night Train make a Tequila to go with it?

--
Pete Stickney

Without data, all you have are opinions
Old March 8th 05, 07:47 PM
Andrew Gray

On 2005-03-04, cyrille vanlerberghe wrote:

No, Earth rocks go back to about 3.8, possibly a bit more if recent finds
have pushed things back further (I haven't kept current on this). Hmm,
"The Planetary Scientist's Companion" (a very useful reference), which is
copyright 1998, says that 4.1 is now the age record.

Yes, and the oldest know earth crystal is a zircon form Australia, age 4.3 -
4.4 byo (Nature 2002).

[pokes a bit]

"Evidence from detrital zircons for the existence of continental crust
and oceans on the Earth 4.4Gyr ago" - Nature. 409(6817):175-8 (2001)

No crustal rocks are known to have survived since the time of the
intense meteor bombardment that affected Earth between its formation
about 4,550Myr ago and 4,030Myr, the age of the oldest known components
in the Acasta Gneiss of northwestern Canada. But evidence of an even
older crust is provided by detrital zircons in metamorphosed sediments
at Mt Narryer and Jack Hills in the Narryer Gneiss Terrane, Yilgarn
Craton, Western Australia, where grains as old as ~4,276Myr have been
found. Here we report, based on a detailed micro-analytical study of
Jack Hills zircons, the discovery of a detrital zircon with an age as
old as 4,404 +/- 8Myr-about 130 million years older than any previously
identified on Earth. (...)

--
-Andrew Gray

Old March 8th 05, 10:18 PM
Pat Flannery

Andrew Gray wrote:

No crustal rocks are known to have survived since the time of the
intense meteor bombardment that affected Earth between its formation
about 4,550Myr ago and 4,030Myr, the age of the oldest known components
in the Acasta Gneiss of northwestern Canada.

Isn't the latest theory that it wasn't an intense meteor bombardment,
but that Mars sized planet hitting us and forming the Moon?

Pat
Old March 8th 05, 11:27 PM
Henry Spencer

Pat Flannery wrote:
No crustal rocks are known to have survived since the time of the
intense meteor bombardment that affected Earth between its formation
about 4,550Myr ago and 4,030Myr...

Isn't the latest theory that it wasn't an intense meteor bombardment,
but that Mars sized planet hitting us and forming the Moon?

Two separate issues. Over and above the giant impact which formed the
Moon, *everything* in the inner solar system, including Earth, got pounded
hard in those first 500Myr.
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |