Ronald Reagan mostly responsible for the space shuttle challenger tragedy. Gotta beat those Ruskies

Old June 16th 04, 09:51 PM
You Gonna Get A Spankin'

Default Ronald Reagan mostly responsible for the space shuttle challenger tragedy. Gotta beat those Ruskies

Let history show that it was Reagan who said that the show must go on,
that the challenger (aka Skytrain #1) had to go up come hell or high
water so the Ruskies would not leapfrog the Amerikkkans in the space
competition.

Their blood (well, dust, actually) was on his hands. Another thing to
remember the great communicator for - another negative legacy to
remember him by. A tribute to Reagan's true motivations and
character.

Posted to all these groups because all of you have been discussing one
and/or the other of them and I just thought I would reiterate it for
youse.

And this I do pray in my God's name,
(Your) diddy
Old June 17th 04, 12:01 AM
Scott Hedrick

"You Gonna Get A Spankin'" wrote in message
m...
Let history show that it was Reagan who said that the show must go on,
that the challenger (aka Skytrain #1) had to go up come hell or high
water

LaToya? Is that you? You and "scott" and Stuffie look alike these days.

Old June 17th 04, 01:09 AM
OM

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 19:01:53 -0400, "Scott Hedrick"
wrote:

"You Gonna Get A Spankin'" wrote in message
om...
Let history show that it was Reagan who said that the show must go on,
that the challenger (aka Skytrain #1) had to go up come hell or high
water

LaToya? Is that you? You and "scott" and Stuffie look alike these days.

....And they all sound like Paul Maxson in drag, too.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old June 17th 04, 01:11 AM
OM

On 16 Jun 2004 13:51:01 -0700, (You Gonna
Get A Spankin') wrote:

Posted to all these groups because all of you have been discussing one
and/or the other of them and I just thought I would reiterate it for
youse.

^^^^^^

....Not just a yankee, but a Damnyankee. Get a rope.

OM

--

"No ******* ever won a war by dying for |
http://www.io.com/~o_m

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old June 18th 04, 01:31 AM
Stuf4

From LaDonna Wyss:
Brian Thorn wrote
Get A Spankin') wrote:

Let history show that it was Reagan who said that the show must go on,
that the challenger (aka Skytrain #1) had to go up come hell or high
water so the Ruskies would not leapfrog the Amerikkkans in the space
competition.

Ah, summer! The long, warm days. Children playing in the park,
Baseball on the tube...

...and the crackpots start posting to sci.space again!

Brian

STOP THE MUSIC!!! I HATE like you-know-what to be a NASA apologist
here, but Control makes that final go/no-go for launch. NOT the
President, not God. I wish I knew the name of the stupid
son-of-a-b**** who gave that final "go", because he (at the VERY
least) launched against protocol that morning. If he allowed
political pressure to force him into making a wrong decision that is
on HIM--and as much of a die-hard rah-rah NASA person as Gene Kranz
is, I'm sure he would agree with that assessment. Forget for a moment
about o-rings and other theories. IT WAS TOO COLD!!! There are
procedures for launch, and they are there for a reason. Lift-off
should have been scrubbed.
So, blame the right person. Like it or not, Challenger is on NASA.

That's what's so shocking, LaDonna. MOD has never been held
accountable for their failure to scrub 51-L.

Management has been cited. Thiokol has been cited. But the Launch
Director, Flight Director and others with operational control
authority have been...

*PROMOTED*!

The very people who called -Go- for launch on that icy morning are
today *running NASA*.

Did you know that Gene Kranz himself was in the MOCR during the poll?
His book about the wonders of Mission Control read to me like it's
missing a few chapters. Total hypocrisy when he stresses
accountability for decisions on other missions and then side-steps any
owning up to his sitting there watching the trigger get pulled.

While astronauts die, the teflon shield around MOD keeps certain folks
well protected.

Just now an idea came to me on how to help ensure crew safety...

For every launch, place one of the Ascent Flight Director's children
in the spacecraft as an additional crew member.

How many Flight Directors would have launched 51-L knowing that it was
their kid? For that matter, how many Flight Directors would have
launched -107 ?!

For the anniversary of STS-107, Wayne Hale, one of the *very few*
people in the history of NASA who have been Ascent Flight Directors,
wrote a very powerful message about owning up to mistakes.

....except he never owned up to the one mistake that was the most
fatal: launching Columbia.

Recall that two launches prior to -107, a large foam chunk broke off
during the launch of STS-112 and it damaged the vehicle. NASA pressed
ahead. No one in MOD halted the program. Wayne Hale himself did not
stop STS-113. He did not stop STS-107. No mention of any of this in
his otherwise bold letter.

~ CT
Old June 18th 04, 02:20 AM
Scott Hedrick

"LaDonna Wyss" wrote in message
om...
I HATE like you-know-what to be a NASA apologist
here

But you're so *good* at being an apologist- just ask Betty!

Forget for a moment
about o-rings and other theories. IT WAS TOO COLD!!!

At the time, there was no data that it was too cold to launch, and without
such data that would not have been a good reason to cancel the launch. What
*would* have been a good reason, and in fact was the reason why some
engineers pushed for the cancellation, was that there was no data (not even
test data) that supported launches under the existing temperature
conditions. In short, it's not that there was no data against it, it was a
bad idea to launch because there was no data *for* it. If, for example, it
was humidity and not temperature that was the issue, there would rightfully
have been less concern, because humidity hadn't shown itself to be a factor.
There *was* data showing the effects of differing temperatures, but there
was none for as low as the temperature was that morning. Perhaps it's the
engineer in my soul, but with the launch conditions outside of the known
range of success, if the boring eggheads had been in charge, Challenger
would still be flying. Whoever said "take off your engineering hat and put
on your management hat" should have been forced to personally crawl from
whereever he said that to the home of each of the relatives of the
astronauts and personally deliver an apology. Something you might seriously
consider spending some time contemplating, LaToya, is that changing hats
doesn't change the data. *That* is why we ask for verifiable references. We
want to see the data *without* your spin. A refusal to consider the evidence
against the preferred result then killed people, and in your case, it makes
you look like a kook.

Like it or not, Challenger is on NASA.

And some of it was on the beach, and some of it was in the water, and some
of it is on the sea floor...

Old June 18th 04, 04:36 AM
LaDonna Wyss

(LaDonna Wyss) wrote in message . com...
Brian Thorn wrote in message . ..
On 16 Jun 2004 13:51:01 -0700,
(You Gonna
Get A Spankin') wrote:

[...]

LaDonna

I was scanning through to see what other "intelligent" posts have been
made in the past 24 hours, and I notice NO ONE has posted to this one
since I wrote this reply.
Amazing how the Peanut Gallery shuts up when they can no longer defend
NASA....
LaDonna