best places to live for amateur astronomers

Old July 18th 08, 08:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
callisto[_2_]

Default best places to live for amateur astronomers

I am an amateur astronomer and have recently retired. I would like to
know where I could retire in the US to maximize my enjoyment of this
hobby. I know there are many considerations such as seasonal sky
conditions, having an astronomy club nearby where it would be possible
to participate in many activities (e.g., see telescopes of others,
hear talks, go on trips including star parties, etc). Another of my
interests is participating in outreach and giving PowerPoint talks to
people of all ages.

I would be willing to travel short distances. But I can’t live in
places such as existing and planned astronomy villages because I have
a wife who won’t drive thirty miles to do her grocery shopping.
Fifteen miles? I don’t know.

It would be nice if someone wrote a book with an emphasis on amateur
astronomy such as the “Places Rated Almanac”.

Thanks in advance for any comments or other things I should consider.

Paul
Old July 18th 08, 08:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Howard Lester

"callisto" wrote

I am an amateur astronomer and have recently retired. I would like to
know where I could retire in the US to maximize my enjoyment of this
hobby. I know there are many considerations such as seasonal sky
conditions, having an astronomy club nearby where it would be possible
to participate in many activities (e.g., see telescopes of others,
hear talks, go on trips including star parties, etc). Another of my
interests is participating in outreach and giving PowerPoint talks to
people of all ages.

===========================
Paul,

Tucson, AZ (if you can stand the summer heat and general desolation of the
landscape.. [I know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder]) might be an
excellent compromise for you. There is a very good club (Tucson Amateur
Astronomy Association) that meets on the University campus, and has two dark
sky sites at which they meet for star parties. Although Tucson continues to
grow and expand rapidly, you can live 15 or 20 miles away (particularly
southeast) from the city center and have decent skies from your own
backyard.

Old July 18th 08, 09:07 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
George[_4_]

"Howard Lester" wrote in message
"callisto" wrote

[...]

Flagstaff would be my choice. The climate is more moderate, the city is
smaller, and is located at a higher elevation. They also have protected
skies, being designated the first international dark sky city. And best of
all for Howard's wife. They have good shopping centers. And it's just a
hop, skip and jump away from the Grand Canyon, and lot's of beautiful
scenery. Good luck, Howard.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap080416.html

George

Old July 18th 08, 09:19 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Howard Lester

"George" wrote

Flagstaff would be my choice. The climate is more moderate, the city is
smaller, and is located at a higher elevation. They also have protected
skies, being designated the first international dark sky city. And best
of all for Howard's wife. They have good shopping centers. And it's just
a hop, skip and jump away from the Grand Canyon, and lot's of beautiful
scenery. Good luck, Howard.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap080416.html

George

I'M going to Vermont -- I don't know where Paul's going. ;-) I was
suggesting he come here to Tucson, but yes, Flagstaff's a great choice.

Howard

Old July 18th 08, 09:25 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
catzz66

callisto wrote:
[...]

If you are at all handy with Google Earth, there's an "Artificial Night
Sky Brightness for North America" layer that is interesting. It doesn't
take average cloud cover into account, of course, but it still might be
helpful to you.
Old July 18th 08, 11:20 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Terry A. Haimann

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:17:02 -0700, callisto wrote:

[...]

N. California has reasonably dark skies.
Also, Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas would be reasonable choices.
Iowa (My home state is above average(Muggy in the summer though), )
Missouri and Arkansas would be good.
Old July 18th 08, 11:26 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Brian Tung[_2_]

Paul (callisto) wrote:
I am an amateur astronomer and have recently retired. I would like to
know where I could retire in the US to maximize my enjoyment of this
hobby.

Personally, I'd go for New Mexico.

--
Brian Tung
NOTE: Below addresses changing soon...
Old July 19th 08, 12:04 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Bill McClain[_2_]

On 2008-07-18, Terry A. Haimann wrote:

Iowa (My home state is above average(Muggy in the summer though), )
Missouri and Arkansas would be good.

I'm in Iowa. The midwest is humid year round, making for murky skies even
when clear. A typical clear night is mag 5.

-Bill
--
Sattre Press In the Quarter
http://sattre-press.com/ by Robert W. Chambers
Old July 19th 08, 12:29 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Tom Hise

On 18 Jul 2008 23:04:30 GMT, Bill McClain
wrote:

I'm in Iowa. The midwest is humid year round, making for murky skies even
when clear. A typical clear night is mag 5.

I'll second that.
--
Tom Hise - NCŘO
N42° 07' - W91° 53'
Old July 19th 08, 12:36 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Howard Lester[_1_]

"Brian Tung" wrote

Paul (callisto) wrote:
I am an amateur astronomer and have recently retired. I would like to
know where I could retire in the US to maximize my enjoyment of this
hobby.

Personally, I'd go for New Mexico.

Porque?

No, not Porque, NM..... Why, and where in New Mexico? One reason I'd vote
for Arizona (only in terms of astronomy) is its much better seeing than is
typical elsewhere. That's in addition to spectacular transparency outside of
the cities and towns. But I know this because I live in Arizona. I don't
know what New Mexico offers, other than transparency and, I imagine,
different politics and population. There have to be more factors than just
astronomical to take into consideration when selecting a new place to live.

Howard