Clear Sky Chart problems?????

Old October 16th 08, 05:20 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
George Normandin[_1_]

Default Clear Sky Chart problems?????

Well MS did it to me..... pushed a bunch of updates to Vista and now I can't
view Clear Sky Charts. Their website sez that this is because an add blocker
is set and that I need to tell the add-blocking software to allow adds on
their website. I have no idea how to do this. I assume that it's some
setting in IE 7. Any advise??

George N

Old October 16th 08, 06:31 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 16:20:35 GMT, "George Normandin"
wrote:

Well MS did it to me..... pushed a bunch of updates to Vista and now I can't
view Clear Sky Charts. Their website sez that this is because an add blocker
is set and that I need to tell the add-blocking software to allow adds on
their website. I have no idea how to do this. I assume that it's some
setting in IE 7. Any advise??

Download and use Firefox. It's faster, better, and safer.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old October 16th 08, 08:34 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Tom Jarrett

"George Normandin" wrote:

Well MS did it to me..... pushed a bunch of updates to Vista and now I can't
view Clear Sky Charts. Their website sez that this is because an add blocker
is set and that I need to tell the add-blocking software to allow adds on
their website. I have no idea how to do this. I assume that it's some
setting in IE 7. Any advise??

Add the site to IE's 'Trusted Sites' zone (Tools Internet Options Security).

Old October 17th 08, 03:55 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

George Normandin wrote:

Well MS did it to me..... pushed a bunch of updates to Vista and now I can't
view Clear Sky Charts. Their website sez that this is because an add blocker
is set and that I need to tell the add-blocking software to allow adds on
their website. I have no idea how to do this. I assume that it's some
setting in IE 7. Any advise??

The advice offered by smarter people than me seems to make sense--dump
Vista in favor of XP Pro. Anecdotal evidence has it that many people
are doing that.

"We broke a lot of things. We know that, and we know it caused you a
lot of pain. It got customers thinking, hey, is Windows Vista a
generation we want to get invested in?" --Brad Brooks, Microsoft's VP
of Windows Vista consumer marketing, July, 2008.
http://www.informationweek.com/news/...ems/showArticl
e.jhtml?articleID=208803153

The fact that Microsoft (OS market share circa 90 percent) is
sufficiently worried about Apple's (OS market share circa 8 percent)
anti-Vista ad campaign to spend millions on a counter-campaign speaks
worlds about Microsoft's worries about Vista. I don't know that I can
draw a very accurate analogy, but numbers-wise, that's something like
Toyota feeling threatened by Porsche.

Davoud

--
Don't re-elect the failures of the past eight years.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old October 17th 08, 11:43 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_2_]

wrote:

Well MS did it to me..... pushed a bunch of updates to Vista and now I can't
view Clear Sky Charts. Their website sez that this is because an add blocker
is set and that I need to tell the add-blocking software to allow adds on
their website. I have no idea how to do this. I assume that it's some
setting in IE 7. Any advise??

Download and use Firefox. It's faster, better, and safer.

.....and also has a pop-up-blocker. In fact, Firefox had a pop-up blocker
before M$IE did. And if you have no idea how to turn this off, or how
to create an exception, you'll still have the same problem...

e-mail: pausch at stjarnhimlen dot se
WWW: http://stjarnhimlen.se/
Old October 17th 08, 10:24 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Linus Das

On Oct 17, 3:55*am, Davoud wrote:

The advice offered by smarter people than me seems to make sense--dump
Vista in favor of XP Pro. Anecdotal evidence has it that many people
are doing that.

Better yet, dump Vista in favor of Windows 2000. My usage of Vista
reminded me of my Mac Mini last year -- lots of pretty eye candy but
very sluggish. One great thing about the Mini: I got most of my money
back when I sold it. :-)))))))

Old October 17th 08, 10:36 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Linus Das:
Better yet, dump Vista in favor of Windows 2000. My usage of Vista
reminded me of my Mac Mini last year -- lots of pretty eye candy but
very sluggish. One great thing about the Mini: I got most of my money
back when I sold it.

Let me get this straight--you bought a company's lowest-end, cheapest
entry-level machine, one that has no separate graphics processor, and
you were expecting a hot computer!? Isn't that why they (Apple, in this
instance, but it could be Toyota or a furniture store) have stores, so
you can try a product before you buy it?

Davoud

Old October 17th 08, 11:21 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Thomas Womack

In article ,
Linus Das wrote:
On Oct 17, 3:55=A0am, Davoud wrote:

The advice offered by smarter people than me seems to make sense--dump
Vista in favor of XP Pro. Anecdotal evidence has it that many people
are doing that.

Better yet, dump Vista in favor of Windows 2000. My usage of Vista
reminded me of my Mac Mini last year -- lots of pretty eye candy but
very sluggish.

What display resolution were you using?

I found my Mac Mini (the original G4) crawled with a 1600x1200 monitor
and ran very nicely with a 1280x1024 one; something to do with fitting
textures into video memory.

Tom
Old October 18th 08, 08:08 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Linus Das

On Oct 17, 10:36*pm, Davoud wrote:
Linus Das:

Better yet, dump Vista in favor of Windows 2000. *My usage of Vista
reminded me of my Mac Mini last year -- lots of pretty eye candy but
very sluggish. *One great thing about the Mini: I got most of my money
back when I sold it.

Let me get this straight--you bought a company's lowest-end, cheapest
entry-level machine, one that has no separate graphics processor, and
you were expecting a hot computer!?

My only expectations were that it would be faster and use less power
than my PII 400 PC (built circa 1998). It definitely used less power,
that's for sure. On 2000, when I click the Start menu, it appears
immediately. On the Mini, sometimes it took 2 or 3 seconds for the
Apple menu to appear (quite annoying when you need to frequently
access things from it). On 2000, Windows Explorer is lightning-fast
with file operations. On the Mini, the Finder was very pondorous. On
2000, VLC launches in 4 seconds. On the Mini, VLC took 13 seconds to
launch.

Isn't that why they (Apple, in this
instance, but it could be Toyota or a furniture store) have stores, so
you can try a product before you buy it?

The nearest Apple store is 240-km away. I cannot justify a round trip
of 480-km (at $8 per gallon) to just spend a few minutes on a computer
that I may or may not buy. I don't regret buying it -- I've lusted
after a Mac for many years (sucker for their slick marketing, I guess)
but using one in my own home for several months made me realize that
OS X is all about form over function. I'm convinced the Mini would
have felt snappier if it wasn't so hamstrung by the bloated graphics
of OS X.