The Rosette Nebula in Monoceros

Old July 19th 08, 10:16 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
ukastronomy

Default The Rosette Nebula in Monoceros

The Rosette Nebula in Monoceros

I had been observing for a number of years before I even realised that
the constellation of Monoceros existed. It was several more years
before I realised that one of the most attractive targets for the
owner of a wide-field scope could be found there.

With a CCD and a wide field scope I discovered that it was easy to
obtain an attractive image of the Rosette Nebula. The only significant
problem to overcome was the neighbour's roof! This was overcome by
moving all my observing to a remote scope based in New Mexico.

http://www.martin-nicholson.info/rosette/rosette.htm

Martin Nicholson, Daventry, England.

My website is at http://www.martin-nicholson.info/1/1a.htm
My informal Astronomical Blog is at http://ukastronomy.livejournal.com/
Old August 5th 08, 06:32 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
George Normandin[_1_]

"ukastronomy" wrote
The Rosette Nebula in Monoceros

I had been observing for a number of years before I even realised that
the constellation of Monoceros existed. It was several more years
before I realised that one of the most attractive targets for the
owner of a wide-field scope could be found there.

With a CCD and a wide field scope I discovered that it was easy to
obtain an attractive image of the Rosette Nebula. The only significant
problem to overcome was the neighbour's roof! This was overcome by
moving all my observing to a remote scope based in New Mexico.

http://www.martin-nicholson.info/rosette/rosette.htm

Martin Nicholson, Daventry, England.

Martin,

Yep the Rosette is a great object and an easy target from a dark sky
location. A few years ago I decided to try finding it using my 20x80
binoculars from my "camp" in NY's Adirondack Mts (very dark). I thought that
it would be difficult, but it turned out to be easy.

Over the past weekend at Stellafane in Vermont I mentioned all of this to
a friend who wants to take a CCD image using his 6" F/4 Newt. He said "Well
lets look at it in your Obsession 20!" I thought that it would not fit in my
field of view, but it did just fit in my 26mm Nagler on the 20-inch F/5.
Needless to say it was an easy object in a scope that size, but my friend
then claimed that he could see it in his 40mm binoculars.

George N

Old August 5th 08, 08:31 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
William R. Mattil

ukastronomy wrote:
The Rosette Nebula in Monoceros

I had been observing for a number of years before I even realised that
the constellation of Monoceros existed. It was several more years
before I realised that one of the most attractive targets for the
owner of a wide-field scope could be found there.

With a CCD and a wide field scope I discovered that it was easy to
obtain an attractive image of the Rosette Nebula. The only significant
problem to overcome was the neighbour's roof! This was overcome by
moving all my observing to a remote scope based in New Mexico.

Martin,

Seems to me that there should be a *lot* more data there than is seen in
your image. New Mexico Skies is up pretty high ......

Here are two images taken from my extremely light polluted back yard:

FSQ106N - 3 x 1800 seconds
http://www.celestial-images.com/Imag...x1800s-Ha.html

253mm f/6 Newt at appx f/7 3 x 1800s
http://www.celestial-images.com/Imag...x1800s-Ha.html

Bill
Old August 5th 08, 09:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Greg Crinklaw

Bill,

William R. Mattil wrote:
ukastronomy wrote:
The Rosette Nebula in Monoceros

Martin,

Seems to me that there should be a *lot* more data there than is seen in
your image. New Mexico Skies is up pretty high ......

Yes, five minute exposures are way too short for our skies unless the
moon is up.

I think you are wasting your time. This guy spams various forums with
links to his web site but seldom seems interested in discussing his
posts or anything else. In my experience criticism, no matter how well
intended or constructive, is wasted on him.
Old August 5th 08, 09:29 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
William R. Mattil

Greg Crinklaw wrote:
Bill,

William R. Mattil wrote:
ukastronomy wrote:
The Rosette Nebula in Monoceros

Martin,

Seems to me that there should be a *lot* more data there than is seen
in your image. New Mexico Skies is up pretty high ......

Yes, five minute exposures are way too short for our skies unless the
moon is up.

I think you are wasting your time. This guy spams various forums with
links to his web site but seldom seems interested in discussing his
posts or anything else. In my experience criticism, no matter how well
intended or constructive, is wasted on him.

Hi Greg,

FWIW I agree. You can lead a horse to water but it's not that easy to
get him up on ski's.

I'll not waste my time further with him.

Thanks

Bill

Old August 6th 08, 01:52 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Anthony Ayiomamitis[_3_]

Bill,

Both of your images are exceptional with tons of fine detail. I have
an ST-10XME on the way and I will be sure to tackle this gem with both
my AP160 and Tak FSQ.

Anthony.

On 5 Αύγ, 22:31, "William R. Mattil" wrote:

Martin,

Seems to me that there should be a *lot* more data there than is seen in
your image. New Mexico Skies is up pretty high ......

Here are two images taken from my extremely light polluted back yard:

FSQ106N - 3 x 1800 secondshttp://www.celestial-images.com/Images/NGC2244-3x1800s-Ha.html

253mm f/6 Newt at appx f/7 3 x 1800shttp://www.celestial-images.com/Images/NGC2244-4x1800s-Ha.html

Bill

Old August 6th 08, 01:53 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
ukastronomy

On 5 Aug, 21:29, "William R. Mattil" wrote:

Cut

Sadly I can only implement your advice about imaging methods for
images taken subsequent to the advice being posted! When, for example,
Monoceros comes around again I can take exposures using the suggested
methodology, until then it is old images or nothing.

I would have thought any astronomical postings to astronomical usenet
groups would have been encouraged - given most of the garbage usually
posted here - but it appears not.

Such is life.
Old August 7th 08, 09:14 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
William R. Mattil

Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:
Bill,

Both of your images are exceptional with tons of fine detail. I have
an ST-10XME on the way and I will be sure to tackle this gem with both
my AP160 and Tak FSQ.

Anthony,

Thanks for the kind words!

Regards

Bill
Old August 7th 08, 09:57 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
George Normandin[_1_]

"George Normandin" wrote

"ukastronomy" wrote
The Rosette Nebula in Monoceros..........
Martin Nicholson, Daventry, England.

Martin,

Yep the Rosette is a great object...........

Oh, Oh....... I see that I got the Rosette confused with the Helix, which is
what my comments really refer to. That's what happens when you drive 600
miles in one week and do three all-nighter's of observing, and attend
daytime presentations, and play a round of golf, and attend a hot air
balloon rally and...... I gotta slow down!

George N

Old August 8th 08, 05:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Jul 19, 4:16*am, ukastronomy
wrote:
The Rosette Nebula in Monoceros

I had been observing for a number of years before I even realised that
the constellation of Monoceros existed. It was several more years
before I realised that one of the most attractive targets for the
owner of a wide-field scope could be found there.

With a CCD and a wide field scope I discovered that it was easy to
obtain an attractive image of the Rosette Nebula. The only significant
problem to overcome was the neighbour's roof! This was overcome by
moving all my observing to a remote scope based in New Mexico.

http://www.martin-nicholson.info/rosette/rosette.htm

Martin Nicholson, Daventry, England.

My website is athttp://www.martin-nicholson.info/1/1a.htm
My informal Astronomical Blog is athttp://ukastronomy.livejournal.com/

I think what they're saying is that the quality of CCD cameras and
scopes today is so good that you should be able to far surpass the
level of performance with the equipment that you have. When CCDs first
came out, the images produced by amateurs were very poor, and did not
come anywhere close to what you could gte with film. The rapid
development of cameras and the subsequent improvements in amateur
optics to better match these cameras has resulted in some stunning
amateur images. These now rival or surpass what we used to get from
Mount Palomar back in the film days. Here's an example taken with a
12" aperture telescope in a heavily light polluted industrial park
just 1/2 mile from car dealerships and mega box stores:

http://geogdata.csun.edu/~voltaire/roland/m57.html

So, now if you want to promote remote imaging in some pristine area
with your telescopes, or whatever, then you need to be able to equal
or exceed this level of performance.

Rolando