250mm orion Europa F4.8 any good for planetry detail?

Old July 16th 03, 10:54 PM
Simon

Default 250mm orion Europa F4.8 any good for planetry detail?

Hi, is this scope any good for planetry detail, for example if the seeing
was good, would i be able to get much detail from jupiters cloud belts? any
advice and experiences much appreciated

regards

Simon

Old July 17th 03, 09:47 AM
Robert Geake

"Simon" wrote in message
Hi, is this scope any good for planetry detail, for example if the seeing
was good, would i be able to get much detail from jupiters cloud belts?

any
advice and experiences much appreciated

regards

Simon

Hi Simon,

Firstly i have only had the scope for about a month or so, and its still
needs a
proper collimation (sorry Pete still havent had the courage).

I have only had the chance to view Mars with the orion 250 and i can say
that
i was not really that impressed. I know that the planet is low in the sky
but the
*boiling* atmosphere seems to be amplified by the scopes' large apeture. I
could
not get focus @ 96X, i have a tal100 and it is vastly better than the orion
when it
comes to doubles and planetary.

One thing i have also found it that if you are not tall (6'3"+) you will
have trouble
getting to the eyepiece at Zenith.

Dont let my ramblings put you off too much, the scope has NOT been
collimated
properly since delivery. I will post here once i have had a go at
collimation.

Rob
--
http://robert.thegeakes.co.uk/