Mars occulted by Moon? Southern Hemisphere?

Old July 16th 03, 03:19 PM
Richard Bullock

Default Mars occulted by Moon? Southern Hemisphere?

There are a whole host of places which could view this occultation - not
just in the Southern Hemisphere.

http://www.geocities.com/the_astrono...netOcc-2003071
7.gif

displays a track of the occultation - showing that it is best viewed in
Central and South America.

Ric

Old July 16th 03, 08:11 PM
Mike & Heather Collins

"Chris.B" wrote in message
om...
Hi,
I was following the track of Mars on SkyMap Pro (like you do) when
it seemed to be occulted by The Moon. But this took place in (what I
assume) is the Southern Hemisphere on the dark, lower part of the sky
map. ~10 am 17.7.2003 55N 10E.
Now forgive me if I'm a bit thick.(nothing to forgive really) But
does this mean that the occultation would only be visible from my own
local viewpoint and assumes that The Earth was transparent? Or would
there really be a place in the Southern Hemisphere on a direct line
passing through the Earth from my back garden and on into space
towards these two heavenly bodies). That could actually observe this
occultation? Or am I talking the usual pile of horse manure?

The Curious Chris.B

--
Mike Collins
UK

Have a look at NASA's astronomy picture of the day for 16th July

Old July 17th 03, 12:52 PM
Chris.B

"Mike & Heather Collins" wrote in message ...

Thanks all for your responses & links. I thought it was just a
coincidence. I see this has also raised a mention on s.a.a. It would
have been nice to have seen the occultation. No plans to make the trip
though.

Thanks again,
Chris.B