Flash in sky

Old July 13th 03, 03:00 PM
TechStuf

Default Flash in sky

I saw a nonmoving circular flash in the SSW sky at approximately 40deg
above horizontal at 11:27PM CST on Saturday . I have seen alot of
meteors and a few bolides and this had no trail, it was static.
Abrupt flash that dissipated slowly compared to initial flash.
Blue/white in color lasting only 1-2 seconds. I am guessing a stellar
explosion, perhaps? Anyone see this?
Old July 13th 03, 05:35 PM
Thomas

I am thinking a stellar explosion would be a big deal....

Iridium flare is far more likely. (IMO)

om...

Old July 13th 03, 05:41 PM
Steve Preskitt

TechStuf wrote:
I saw a nonmoving circular flash in the SSW sky at approximately 40deg
above horizontal at 11:27PM CST on Saturday . I have seen alot of
meteors and a few bolides and this had no trail, it was static.
Abrupt flash that dissipated slowly compared to initial flash.
Blue/white in color lasting only 1-2 seconds. I am guessing a stellar
explosion, perhaps? Anyone see this?

I would guess a meteor that happened to be pointed straight toward you.
Sounds weird, but that's what it looks like. :-)

Steve

Old July 13th 03, 09:05 PM

I saw similar flash Tuesday night, around 2130 hours EDT, right at the
star 53 EPS CYG (the "right hand" in the Northern Cross). I was in my
pool, just idly watching the sky, when a light flared up, then dimmed
out to nothing. It took maybe two or three seconds. I couldn't figure
out what it was, and I never saw anything like it before. As someone
mentioned, I guess it could have been a meteorite coming right at me. It
was really unique.

Old July 14th 03, 12:46 AM
PrisNo6

"Tom Mosher" wrote in message gy.com...
It could have been an Iridium flare.
Tom

And also see

http://www.satobs.org/iridium.html

for a picture of an Iridium satellite with its huge optically
reflective surfaces. This site also contains several pictures of
flares that Tom can use to compare with his observing experience.

http://www.satobs.org/iridpix.html

- Kurt
Old July 14th 03, 03:26 AM
Nick Zivanovic

"Tom Mosher" wrote in message
y.com...

It could have been an Iridium flare.

Tom

Iridium flares aren't stationary. The OP described it as totally stationary.
Assuming his observation was correct and it wasn't moving WRT the background
stars, I'd have to vote for a meteor heading directly toward his viewing
position. I've seen a few of those myself.

nz

Old July 14th 03, 04:04 AM
William C. Keel

Nick Zivanovic wrote:
"Tom Mosher" wrote in message
y.com...

It could have been an Iridium flare.

Tom

Iridium flares aren't stationary. The OP described it as totally stationary.
Assuming his observation was correct and it wasn't moving WRT the background
stars, I'd have to vote for a meteor heading directly toward his viewing
position. I've seen a few of those myself.

However, an Iridium low in the sky can be pretty stationary (so that
you could miss the motion over a few seconds if there's not a nearby
reference object), so those details are important.

Bill Keel
Old July 14th 03, 10:37 AM
PSmith9626

Dear rfdj.
Military laser experiment?
Military Coded message?
best
Penny

High altitude lightening?
Airplane sweeping a light

Old July 15th 03, 11:11 AM
Michael Barlow

A week or two ago, while at the clubs observatory, a small group of us
seen a satellite flash and dim several times as it headed north. Each flash
lasted only a split second and it was roughly 8 or so seconds between
flashes. this could be what he saw, one flash of....

--
Michael A. Barlow
Lat: 42:57:13.799N

"Paul Below" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:26:41 -0500, "Nick Zivanovic"
wrote:

Iridium flares aren't stationary

Since sometimes they are only visible for a few seconds, they often
appear stationary. I agree that often they have readily apparent
motion.

Paul Below
Battle Point Astronomical Association
Bainbridge Island, WA, USA