How frequent do you observe in your own backyard

Old December 10th 03, 05:20 PM

Default How frequent do you observe in your own backyard

Just curious. How many times a month do you observe in your own
backyard and what is your NELM?

Myself, 2 times a week, 3.5 NELM.
Old December 10th 03, 05:30 PM
Jon Isaacs

Just curious. How many times a month do you observe in your own
backyard and what is your NELM?

Myself, 2 times a week, 3.5 NELM.

Just about every clear night... Last night was clear as was Monday Night.
Sometimes it is clear every night for a week, sometimes cloudy for a spell.

I am not above taking a gander though those "sucker holes" when it is possible.

Limiting Magnitude. Well I used to think it was 3.5 or so. But the recent
discussion here along with the repeated observation of a 4+ magnitude star has
led me into the notion that I might have been wrong.

jon
Old December 10th 03, 06:28 PM
Starstuffed

wrote in message
Just curious. How many times a month do you observe in your own
backyard and what is your NELM?

Myself, 2 times a week, 3.5 NELM.

Every clear night that comes along assuming I am off work that night. If
there is a moon out, then I might look at it or attempt some doubles. .
..perhaps a little planetary observation also (but except for events like the
recent Mars approach, planetary observation got "old" for me more than 25
years ago).

If my NELM 5.1 skies are clear enough then it's time for faint fuzzies.

Like Jon Isaacs, I am not above jumping into the occasional sucker hole.
Sometimes it can be that or nothing up here in the rainy pacific northwest.

--
Martin
Remove "ilikestars" from email address to respond

Old December 10th 03, 07:56 PM
variable magnitude

wrote in message
Just curious. How many times a month do you observe in your own
backyard and what is your NELM?

Myself, 2 times a week, 3.5 NELM.

I watch the sky from my backyard every clear night, LM is about 4. I use
binoculars and my ETX105.

Old December 10th 03, 08:04 PM
Ed L

I try to observe from either front or back yard, about 4 times a month,
depending upon weather.

I think I'm lucky if I have a limiting mag of 4, but more typically 3.

Ed L.

Old December 10th 03, 08:43 PM
Jonathan Lingel

I am self employed so work all the time but....
I put out my "astro-cam" every clear night and
watch about a 5 degree circle on a monitor next
to my computer monitor. ~8.0 NELM

Old December 10th 03, 09:31 PM
Stephen Paul

wrote in message
Just curious. How many times a month do you observe in your own
backyard and what is your NELM?

I do virtually all of my observing from my yard under mag 5+. I observe far
more often around the equinox (equinii?) than I do the solstice (solsti?).

'Cuz
Summer's night's too short
Winter's night's too cold
got the star gazer blues
and I'm growing old, yeah

Old December 10th 03, 10:02 PM
Brian Tung

Stephen Paul wrote:
I do virtually all of my observing from my yard under mag 5+. I observe far
more often around the equinox (equinii?) than I do the solstice (solsti?).

Equinoces, maybe? And solstices...

Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt
Old December 10th 03, 10:54 PM
Terry Bohlsen

I use to observe every clear night I was not working but due to other
commitments it is down to about 1-2 x /month now.
My limiting mag is about 5.5

Terry
Moree
Australia

Old December 10th 03, 11:08 PM
Gaz

" wrote in message . ..
Just curious. How many times a month do you observe in your own
backyard and what is your NELM?

Myself, 2 times a week, 3.5 NELM.

Well, seeing as I live under Mag 5 skies and don't own a car......I've
got an easy choice;O)

Gaz