A human Mars mission?

Old August 21st 03, 10:31 PM
G EddieA95

Default A human Mars mission?

The decreased solar flux is a problem for solar power generation, but it's
also
a problem for agriculture.

Not as much as you seem to think. At the equator, Mars solar flux is about 1/2
Earth strength, or the sunlight level at 45 N (or S) latitude. Lots of farming
there. From there, it falls off in the same way as on Earth toward the poles,
and the distance is about the same as from 45 N to the pole. So the whole
surface is one for high-latitude agriculture.
Old August 21st 03, 10:41 PM
Hop David

Mike Combs wrote:

You ever read
Aurther C Clarkes book 'The Sands of Mars', first ever sf book I read,
and have been into Mars ever since.

And I think that's entirely the problem. SF authors have no special insight
into how the future will unfold, and can (and do) suffer from planetary
chauvinism as bad as anyone. The future might well turn out significantly
different from what SF has predicted.

It seems to me Stanford Tori and O'Neill habitats are becoming more
common in written science fiction, maybe not the movies (Though 2001 had
a nice Stanford torus)

Hop
http://clowder.net/hop/index.html

Old August 22nd 03, 08:31 AM
jimmydevice

Mike Combs wrote:

Christopher wrote:

snip

Nobody. But you want the mining operations to be administered from the surface
of Mars, without providing any reason why the surface would be better for this
purpose than an orbital habitat.

The paper pushers won't lose their pencil?

Why not work on the uninhabitable earth areas first?
Aus outback, deserts, ocean floor? When we run out of room,
Then we should consider offworld habitat. It appears to be a
waste of resources when we have so much to do here.
You must consider the effects of close quarters. Research
shows that violence, stress and agression are bred in close
contact without a release.

BTW: I live on the edge of a huge forest, The closest
settlement to the north is over 75 miles away, with nothing,
not even a shack, between here and there.

Jim Davis.
Running away from "spaceship earth" is not an option.

Old August 22nd 03, 03:10 PM
Christopher

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 13:05:05 -0500, Mike Combs
wrote:

Christopher wrote:

The colonies in the New World didn't start that way.

What nonsense. The first colonies in the new world were started to serve the
interests of European investors (tea, pelts, etc.).

What nonsence the first colonists went to the New World to escape
religious persecution.

Intercolonial trade was a
small part of the picture near the very beginning. By the same token, the
first settlements beyond the Earth, wherever they are built, will be built to
meet the needs of Terrestrial investors. Because at the beginning, that's the
only kind there is.

But their are only a few asteriods that are NEO ones compaired to the
number of asteriods reachable from Mars orbit,

True, but NEOs number into the thousands. I imagine they'll be fairly used up
before there's a major push toward the belt. And that will take many decades.

But the fact that the major amount of raw material resides in the Belt is to me
a reason for building settlements in the Belt, not on the surface of a planet.

as the 2 martian moons
will act as refuelling stops for Mars ships to and from the main belt.

Have you ever seen one of those signs that says "If you lived here, you'd be
home by now"?

No, but I have seen the saying "No matter where you go, there you
are".

Christopher
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
"Kites rise highest against
the wind - not with it."
Winston Churchill
Old August 22nd 03, 03:22 PM
Christopher

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 12:20:45 GMT, Christopher James Huff

jimmydevice wrote:

Why not work on the uninhabitable earth areas first?
Aus outback, deserts, ocean floor? When we run out of room,
Then we should consider offworld habitat. It appears to be a
waste of resources when we have so much to do here.

Turn Earth into a global city first, great idea.

Earth = Coruscant, hmm you'd need those anti grav aircraft though to
get around.

Christopher
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
"Kites rise highest against
the wind - not with it."
Winston Churchill
Old August 22nd 03, 03:23 PM
Christopher

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 15:55:00 -0500, Mike Combs
wrote:

Christopher wrote:

I just cant see them living all their life in a flying can as an
alternative to living on another planet,

That's good. Bear in mind at all times that your difficulties with this
concept relate only to the limitations of your imagination.

What are all these space can dwellers going to do with their dead,
burial at sea, or do you favor recycling?

Christopher
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
"Kites rise highest against
the wind - not with it."
Winston Churchill
Old August 22nd 03, 07:08 PM
Christopher

wrote:

Christopher wrote:

The colonies in the New World didn't start that way.

What nonsense. The first colonies in the new world were started to serve

the
interests of European investors (tea, pelts, etc.).

What nonsence the first colonists went to the New World to escape
religious persecution.

Wrong.

The Pilgrims were not the first colonists in the New World.

And the only reason why they felt that they could go where they did was
because of a long European history of fishing off of the Great Banks and
setting up "summer" colonies and trading in furs and the like.

How do you think the Indians Samoset and Squanto knew English when they got
there? I'll give you a hint, Squanto had already been to Europe.

And why did the people/pilgrims on the Mayflower go to the New World.

Christopher
"Kites rise highest against
the wind - not with it."
Winston Churchill