Daily # 4130

Old June 8th 06, 03:29 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble

Default Daily # 4130

DAILY REPORT # 4130

PERIOD COVERED: UT June 07, 2006 (DOY 158)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

ACS/HRC/WFC 10514

Kuiper Belt Binaries: Probes of Early Solar System Evolution

Binaries in the Kuiper Belt are a scientific windfall: in them we have
relatively fragile test particles which can be used as tracers of the
early dynamical evolution of the outer Solar System. We propose a
Snapshot program using the ACS/HRC that has a potential discovery
efficiency an order of magnitude higher than the HST observations that
have already discovered the majority of known transneptunian binaries.
By more than doubling the number of observed objects in dynamically
hot and cold subpopulations we will be able to answer, with
statistical significance, the question of whether these groups differ
in the abundance of binaries as a result of their particular dynamical
paths into the Kuiper Belt. Today's Kuiper Belt bears the imprints of
the final stages of giant-planet building and migration; binaries may
offer some of the best preserved evidence of that long-ago era.

ACS/HRC/WFC 10758

ACS CCDs daily monitor

This program consists of a set of basic tests to monitor, the read
noise, the development of hot pixels and test for any source of noise
in ACS CCD detectors. The files, biases and dark will be used to
create reference files for science calibration. This programme will be
for the entire lifetime of ACS. Changes from cycle 13:- The default
gain for WFC is 2 e-/DN. As before bias frames will be collected for
both gain 1 and gain 2. Dark frames are acquired using the default
gain {2}. This program cover the period May, 31 2006- Oct, 1-2006. The
first half of the program has a different proposal number: 10729.

ACS/SBC 10764

X-Ray Activity and Winds in Young A Stars at the Epoch of Disk
Clearing

Herbig Ae stars which are still accreting material from their
protoplanetary disks show a gradual evolution in X-ray luminosity and
hardness ratio. They resemble T Tauri stars in driving microjets which
can be imagaged in Lyman alpha. Older A stars with more centrally
cleared debris disks, like beta Pictoris, are not X-ray sources, but
still have some stellar activity and can drive coronal winds. We wish
to test the hypothesis that the change in the level of stellar
activity and hardness of stellar activity signatues are linked to
changes in the magnetic field strength and wind geometry. We are
requesting 20 ksec of Chandra and 2 orbits of HST time to observe two
late-A Herbig Ae stars which appear to be transitional between the
accreting objects and the debris disks.

ACS/WFC 10551

Gamma-Ray Bursts from Start to Finish: A Legacy Approach

The progenitors of long-duration GRBs are now known to be massive
stars. This result lends credence to the collapsar model, where a
rotating massive star ends its life leaving a black hole or a highly
magnetized neutron star, and confirms its essential aspects. The focus
of attention now is on the black hole or magnetar engines that power
the bursts. Somehow these engines create the most highly relativistic
and highly collimated outflows that we know of, through mechanisms
that no current theory can explain. These astrophysical laboratories
challenge our understanding of relativistic shocks, of mechanisms for
extracting energy from a black hole, and of how physics works in
extreme conditions. The launch of Swift is bringing us into a new era,
where we can make broadband observations that will enable us to study
these fascinating physical processes. We propose here an ambitious,
comprehensive program to obtain the datasets that will become the
standard that any successful model for the central engine must
explain. This programs leverages the HST observations to the maximum
extent by our commitment of Swift observations, a Large program at the
VLA, and extensive ground-based optical resources. By studying the
engines and searching for jets in a variety of events, this program
will investigate the conditions necessary for the engine and jet
formation itself.

ACS/WFC 10592

An ACS Survey of a Complete Sample of Luminous Infrared Galaxies in
the Local Universe

At luminosities above 10^11.4 L_sun, the space density of far-infrared
selected galaxies exceeds that of optically selected galaxies. These
`luminous infrared galaxies' {LIRGs} are primarily interacting or
merging disk galaxies undergoing enhanced star formation and Active
Galactic Nuclei {AGN} activity, possibly triggered as the objects
transform into massive S0 and elliptical merger remnants. We propose
ACS/WFC imaging of a complete sample of 88 L_IR 10^11.4 L_sun
luminous infrared galaxies in the IRAS Revised Bright Galaxy Sample
{RBGS: i.e., 60 micron flux density 5.24 Jy}. This sample is ideal
not only in its completeness and sample size, but also in the
proximity and brightness of the galaxies. The superb sensitivity,
resolution, and field of view of ACS/WFC on HST enables a unique
opportunity to study the detailed structure of galaxies that sample
all stages of the merger process. Imaging will be done with the F439W
and F814W filters {B and I-band} to examine as a function of both
luminosity and merger state {i} the evidence at optical wavelengths of
star formation and AGN activity and the manner in which instabilities
{bars and bridges} in the galaxies may funnel material to these active
regions, {ii} the relationship between star formation and AGN
activity, and {iii} the structural properties {AGN, bulge, and disk
components} and fundamental parameters {effective radius and surface
brightness} of LIRGs and their similarity with putative evolutionary
byproducts {elliptical, S0 and classical AGN host galaxies}. This HST
survey will also bridge the wavelength gap between a Spitzer imaging
survey {covering seven bands in the 3.6-160 micron range} and a GALEX
UV imaging survey of these galaxies, but will resolve complexes of
star clusters and multiple nuclei at resolutions well beyond the
capabilities of either Spitzer or GALEX. The combined datasets will
result in the most comprehensive multiwavelength study of interacting
and merging galaxies to date.

ACS/WFC 10635

Galaxy Transformation as probed by Morphology and Velocity Fields of
Distant Cluster Galaxies

We seek to obtain ACS imaging of four distant {0.3z0.6} clusters of
galaxies within a 6'x6' field covered by a 2x2 mosaic to determine
morphological and structural parameters of late-type galaxies. We
specifically concentrate on peculiarities indicative of past or
ongoing interaction processes. The ~90 target galaxies have been
{Period74} or will be {P75} observed with 3D- spectroscopy at ESO-VLT
yielding 2D-velocity fields with unprecedented spatial coverage and
sampling. The good spatial resolution of the ground-based data will be
further enhanced by a deconvolution method based on the proposed ACS
images. The velocity field and the morphology in restframe-UV light
will reveal possible transformation mechanisms affecting not only the
stellar populations but also the mass distribution of the galaxies.
Additionally, it will be possible to pin down the nature of the
interaction {e.g. tidally or ram-pressure induced}. This assessment
gets supported by our N-body/SPH simulations {including star
formation} of different interaction processes that allow the direct
comparison of structural and kinematical characteristics at each time
step with the observations on an individual basis taking into account
all observational constraints for a given galaxy. All together, we
will be able to explore the relative efficiency of the various
proposed transformation phenomena. In the case of non-disturbed
spirals, a rotation curve can be extracted from the full 2D velocity
field with unprecedented quality, from which the maximum rotation
speed can be derived with high confidence. In combination with
accurate size and luminosity determinations from the ACS images, we
will be able to establish the Tully-Fisher and Fundamental Plane
relations of cluster spiral members at cosmological epochs. At these
distances cluster assembly is predicted to peak and we can probe the
galaxies' luminosity, size and mass evolution with robust methods.
Together with our already existing sample of ~200 distant {z=1}
spiral galaxies in the field, we will put strong constraints on
current theories of galaxy formation and evolution in different
environments.

NIC1/NIC2/NIC3 8793

NICMOS Post-SAA calibration - CR Persistence Part 4

A new procedure proposed to alleviate the CR-persistence problem of
NICMOS. Dark frames will be obtained immediately upon exiting the SAA
contour 23, and every time a NICMOS exposure is scheduled within 50
minutes of coming out of the SAA. The darks will be obtained in
parallel in all three NICMOS Cameras. The POST-SAA darks will be
non-standard reference files available to users with a USEAFTER
date/time mark. The keyword 'USEAFTER=date/time' will also be added to
the header of each POST-SAA DARK frame. The keyword must be populated
with the time, in addition to the date, because HST crosses the SAA ~8
times per day so each POST-SAA DARK will need to have the appropriate
time specified, for users to identify the ones they need. Both the raw
and processed images will be archived as POST-SAA DARKSs. Generally we
expect that all NICMOS science/calibration observations started within
50 minutes of leaving an SAA will need such maps to remove the CR
persistence from the science images. Each observation will need its
own CRMAP, as different SAA passages leave different imprints on the
NICMOS detectors.

NIC2/ACS/WFC/WFPC2 10532

Kinematics and morphology of the most massive field disk galaxies at
z1

We propose to obtain 1 orbit NIC-2 images of a sample of the 15 most
massive galaxies found at $1 z 1.3$. These were culled from over
20, 000 Keck spectra collected as part of DEEP and are unique among
high redshift massive galaxy samples in being kinematically selected.
We intend to test whether these potentially very young galaxies are
likely precursors to massive local disks, assuming no further merging.
NIC-2 images provide rest-frame optical morphologies that will show
whether they are normal disky systems or instead more disturbed
looking objects with multiple subcomponents, mergers, peculiar
structure, etc. NIC-2 provides near-IR resolutions sufficient to
enable measurements of bulges and disks subcomponents. The near-IR
will fill a critical gap in the broad-band SED photometry of the
galaxy and its subcomponents to estimate mean stellar ages and stellar
masses and to assess whether old stellar bulges and disks are in place
at that time. Finally, this sample will yield the first statistically
significant results on the $z 1$ evolution of the Tully-Fisher
relation for massive galaxies. In addition, we propose parallel
observations with ACS WFC {V and I bands} and WFPC2 {I-band}. These
will target up to 700 galaxies at redshifts 0.7 ... 1.2 for which the
DEEP2 survey has obtained precision redshifts and high-resolution
kinematic data. The added HST morphology and color information will
allow a variety of detailed studies on dynamical, structural, and
photometric evolution of galaxies.

NIC3 10538

Near-IR Spectrophotometry of 2MASSWJ 1207334-393254B - An Extra-Solar
Planetary Mass Companion

We propose to obtain "short" wavelength near-IR diagnostic and
characterizing spectra of the very high probability candidate
extra-solar giant planet {EGP} companion to 2MASSWJ 1207334- 393254
{2M1207}, a young brown dwarf and TW Hydrae Association member. Recent
NICMOS camera 1 multi-band photometric imaging of the companion
candidate, 0.77" {54 AU projected} from 2M1207 - initially detected at
longer wavelengths with VLT/NACO - implicate an object of several
Jupiter masses based on cooling models of EGPs and the likely age of
2M1207 {~ 8 Myr}. Physical companionship of the EGP candidate with
2M1207 has been established at the 99.1% level of confidence via
second-epoch NICMOS astrometric observations. Diagnostic spectra in
the 0.8 to 1.9 micron region {unobtainable from the ground and
overlapping the NICMOS imaging observations} will {a} critically
inform on the physical nature of the EGP, {b} provide currently
non-existing information to test/constrain theoretical models of EGP
properties and evolution, and {c} unequivocally confirm the imaging of
a bone fide EGP. Background light from 2M1207 would normally swamp the
EGP spectrum with direct spectral imaging. To obviate this, we propose
PSF-subtracted grism spectra of the EGP using 2M1207 as its own
spectral template via two- orientation high-contrast image
subtraction. The temporal stability of the HST+NICMOS PSF enables
self-subtractions of targets at different field orientations resulting
in contrast enhancements of 5 to 6 stellar magnitudes in the
circumstellar background at ~ 0.8" at these wavelengths. With the
grism field oriented to place the EGP "above" and "below" 2M1207 {at
two observational epochs} two independent spectra of the EGP will
emerge from a difference image. This prototypical spectrum will serve
to test and improve upon current models of young EGPs which predict
flux suppression by molecular absorption in their atmospheres.

WFPC2 10749

Earth Flats

This proposal monitors flatfield stability. This proposal obtains
sequences of Earth streak flats to construct high quality flat fields
for the WFPC2 filter set. These flat fields will allow mapping of the
OTA illumination pattern and will be used in conjuction with previous
internal and external flats to generate new pipeline superflats. These
Earth flats will complement the Earth flat data obtained during cycles
4-13.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS: (None)