On the integrity of flight controllers

Old August 26th 03, 10:40 PM
Derek Lyons

Default On the integrity of flight controllers

Throughout the sci.space.* groups, we've been treated to, and accepted
as gospel the integrity of the flight control community. (Modulo some
recent discussion about 'winging it' by the Apollo era controllers and
directors.) Then we come to the finding of the CAIB to wit; which
F6.2-3 says in part "effects of this stress include neglecting flight
control recertification requirements".

At what level was this decision made? Was it protested by the flight
control community? Or was the flight control community caught up in
the 'can do' spirit? (The report also addresses some subtle problems
that can arise from this attitude.)

D.
--
The STS-107 Columbia Loss FAQ can be found
at the following URLs:

Text-Only Version:
http://www.io.com/~o_m/columbia_loss_faq.html

Enhanced HTML Version:

Corrections, comments, and additions should be
e-mailed to , as well as posted to
sci.space.history and sci.space.shuttle for
discussion.
Old August 27th 03, 01:36 AM
Roger Balettie

"Derek Lyons" wrote:
Throughout the sci.space.* groups, we've been treated to, and accepted
as gospel the integrity of the flight control community. (Modulo some
recent discussion about 'winging it' by the Apollo era controllers and
directors.) Then we come to the finding of the CAIB to wit; which
F6.2-3 says in part "effects of this stress include neglecting flight
control recertification requirements".

At what level was this decision made? Was it protested by the flight
control community? Or was the flight control community caught up in
the 'can do' spirit? (The report also addresses some subtle problems
that can arise from this attitude.)

Derek --

While I don't know the level at which this particular "bad decision" was
made, it had to have been at least suggested and approved by the immediate
supervisors (Group Leads, Branch Chiefs, and Division Heads up the chain)
before it ever made it to a Flight Readiness Review, where Flight Controller
certifications are (or at least were) listed for each mission.

It was always a mandate that if your certification was not current... you
did not fly. Period.

What happened to change that, I don't know...

Roger
--
Roger Balettie
former Flight Dynamics Officer