exposure

Old November 2nd 04, 06:17 AM
moT

Default exposure

What kind of exposure time do I need for a F10 scope for Jupiter and Venus
in early morning with ISO 400?

Old November 2nd 04, 12:27 PM
Jon Isaacs

According to Astphoto you need 1/125th for Jupiter, 1/2000 for Venus.

You might want to download Astphoto from the Astronomical Society of Southern
New England's website. It's free...

jon
Old November 2nd 04, 12:42 PM
Michael Barlow

Michael Covington's exposure calculator is a good start to figuring this
out. Grab it off his site, I don't have a link but do a search on his name
and you'll find it.

Second, you don't say "how" you're going to photograph? Cassegrain
focus (unlikely), Afocal, EP projection. With EP projection we would need
an EP FL and for Afocal we would need that and the camera lens information.

--
Michael A. Barlow

Old November 2nd 04, 02:43 PM
moT

Second, you don't say "how" you're going to photograph? Cassegrain
focus (unlikely), Afocal, EP projection. With EP projection we would need
an EP FL and for Afocal we would need that and the camera lens

information.

--

Thanks but I found the "starshot" planetary calculator. I am using EP
projection

Old November 2nd 04, 02:48 PM
moT

Actually I'll have to start at about 1/60 sec. and move up. Since Jupiter
is about 2 mags dimmer or 100X's less bright than Venus (-1.7 and -4),
maybe I can take
separate shots and then merge them.

Old November 2nd 04, 04:58 PM
Norbert

moT nous a écrit :

What kind of exposure time do I need for a F10 scope for Jupiter and
Venus in early morning with ISO 400?

Go here http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/...astrosoft.html and
download the "Astrophotography exposure calculator ". This small piece of
software will give you all the data that you need.

--
Norbert. (no X for the answer)
======================================

Old November 2nd 04, 08:49 PM
moT

According to Astphoto you need 1/125th for Jupiter, 1/2000 for Venus.

jon

Sure seems rather fast. Starshot gives much different results. 1/125 or
1/60 for Venus
1/8 for Jupiter

Old November 2nd 04, 09:39 PM
Jon Isaacs

Sure seems rather fast. Starshot gives much different results. 1/125 or
1/60 for Venus
1/8 for Jupiter

Since you are using eyepiece projection then you probably ought to run the
program with proper focal lengths and see what it says. I assumed you were
operating at the F10 you specificed, if so then I would figure Astrophoto would
be fairly close. I know when I shoot venus with my CP4500 I am at 1/1000th or
so when operating at F15 or so and ISO 100.

Its a pretty neat program, it has a database of planetary and deep sky objects
and will give exposures and a representation of the size of the target in the
FOV. There is also a companion program that is specifically designed for CCD
camera.

jon
Old November 2nd 04, 10:09 PM
HAVRILIAK

It appears that I am in the fraction of a second range.
I'll blow off a whole roll starting at 1/8 sec and move up in 1/4 sec
intervals to a maximum of
1.5 seconds.

A better stradgey is to increas by a factor of 2 or 1.4. Thats the way f-stops
go.