Daily #4003

Old December 8th 05, 01:38 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble

Default Daily #4003

DAILY REPORT #4003

PERIOD COVERED: UT November 07, 2005 (DOY 341)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

ACS/HRC 10525

Characterizing the Near-UV Environment of M Dwarfs: Implications for
Extrasolar Planetary Searches and Astrobiology

We propose SNAP observations with the ACS HRC PR200L prism, designed
to measure the near ultraviolet emission in a sample of 107 nearby M
dwarfs. The sample spans the mass range from 0.1 - 0.6 solar masses
{temperature range 2200K - 4000K} where the UV energy distributions
vary widely between active and inactive stars. The strength and
distribution of this UV emission can have critical consequences for
the atmospheres of attendant planets. Our proposed observations will
provide desperately needed constraints on models of the habitability
zone and the atmospheres of possible terrestrial planets orbiting M
dwarf hosts, and will be used to sharpen TPF target selection. In
addition, the NUV data will be used in conjunction with existing
optical, FUV and X-ray data to constrain a new generation of M dwarf
atmospheric models, and to explore unanswered questions regarding the
dynamo generation and magnetic heating in these low-mass stars.

ACS/HRC 10556

Neutral Gas at Redshift z=0.5

Damped Lyman-alpha systems {DLAs} are used to track the bulk of the
neutral hydrogen gas in the Universe. Prior to HST UV spectroscopy,
they could only be studied from the ground at redshifts z1.65.
However, HST has now permitted us to discover 41 DLAs at z1.65 in our
previous surveys. Followup studies of these systems are providing a
wealth of information about the evolution of the neutral gas phase
component of the Universe. But one problem is that these 41
low-redshift systems are spread over a wide range of redshifts
spanning nearly 70% of the age of the Universe. Consequently, past
surveys for low-redshift DLAs have not been able to offer very good
precision in any small redshift regime. Here we propose an ACS-HRC-
PR200L spectroscopic survey in the redshift interval z=[0.37, 0.7]
which we estimate will permit us to discover another 41 DLAs. This
will not only allow us to double the number of low-redshift DLAs, but
it will also provide a relatively high-precision regime in the
low-redshift Universe that can be used to anchor evolutionary studies.
Fortunately DLAs have high absorption equivalent width, so
ACS-HRC-PR200L has high-enough resoultion to perform this proposed
MgII-selected DLA survey.

ACS/HRC 10627

A Snapshot Survey of Post-AGB Objects and Proto-Planetary Nebulae

We propose an ACS/HRC snapshot survey of 50 post-AGB sources, objects
which have evolved from the AGB but may or may not become planetary
nebulae {PNe}. This survey will complement existing HST images of
proto-planetary nebulae {PPNe} and PNe in addressing circumstellar
envelope morphology as a function of: 1} the progenitor star mass; 2}
the chemical composition; and 3} evolutionary stage. We will connect
the observed diversity of nebualar shapes with the main physical and
chemical conditions characterizing post-AGB objects, to identify the
mechanism that breaks the symmetry of AGB mass loss. To our knowledge,
no previous HST projects have been specifically designed to address
this issue. From our database of 360 post-AGB candidates, we have
selected approximately 50 targets, none of which have been or are
being observed with HST, to sample different central star masses,
chemical compositions, and evolutionary stages, uniformly across the
sky. These new data will also provide important constraints to a
quantitative analysis of Spitzer Space Telescope {SST} observations
planned for a similar sample of objects. We will model the HST images
and SST spectra using our axisymmetric dust code 2-Dust, to derive
dust density distributions, pole to equator density ratios, dust shell
masses, inclination angles as well as dust composition.

ACS/HRC/WFC 10729

ACS CCDs daily monitor

This program consists of a set of basic tests to monitor, the read
noise, the development of hot pixels and test for any source of noise
in ACS CCD detectors. The files, biases and dark will be used to
create reference files for science calibration. This programme will be
for the entire lifetime of ACS. Changes from cycle 13:- The default
gain for WFC is 2 e-/DN. As before bias frames will be collected for
both gain 1 and gain 2. Dark frames are acquired using the default
gain {2}. This program cover the period Oct, 2 2005- May, 29-2006. The
second half of the program has a different proposal number: 10758.

ACS/WFC 10433

The Cepheid PL-Z

We are proposing to empirically calibrate the metallicity sensitivity
of the Cepheid Period- Luminosity relation at the highest metallicity
range so far observed in nearby galaxies. To do this we will obtain
the I-band Population II Tip of the Red Giant Branch {TRGB} distances
to two galaxies, NGC 3627 and NGC 3368, both of which have comparable
{Cepheid} distances of 11 Mpc and have almost identical {very high}
metallicities of 12 + log[O/H] = +9.3. At present, observers have
extremely divergent views on the magnitude of the metallicity effect
on the Cepheid zero point, and theorists cannot even agee upon the
sign of the effect.

ACS/WFC 10491

A Snapshot Survey of the most massive clusters of galaxies

We propose a snapshot survey of a sample of 124 high X-ray luminosity
clusters in the redshift range 0.3-0.7. Similarly luminous clusters at
these redshifts frequently exhibit strong gravitational lensing. The
proposed observations will provide important constraints on the nature
of the cluster mass distributions and a set of optically bright,
lensed galaxies for further 8-10m spectroscopy. We acknowledge the
broad community interest in this sample and waive our data rights for
these observations.

ACS/WFC 10496

Decelerating and Dustfree: Efficient Dark Energy Studies with
Supernovae and Clusters

We propose a novel HST approach to obtain a dramatically more useful
"dust free" Type Ia supernovae {SNe Ia} dataset than available with
the previous GOODS searches. Moreover, this approach provides a
strikingly more efficient search-and-follow-up that is primarily pre-
scheduled. The resulting dark energy measurements do not share the
major systematic uncertainty at these redshifts, that of the
extinction correction with a prior. By targeting massive galaxy
clusters at z 1 we obtain a five-times higher efficiency in
detection of Type Ia supernovae in ellipticals, providing a
well-understood host galaxy environment. These same deep cluster
images then also yield fundamental calibrations required for future
weak lensing and Sunyaev-Zel'dovich measurements of dark energy, as
well as an entire program of cluster studies. The data will make
possible a factor of two improvement on supernova constraints on dark
energy time variation, and much larger improvement in systematic
uncertainty. They will provide both a cluster dataset and a SN Ia
dataset that will be a longstanding scientific resource.

ACS/WFC/WFPC2 10584

The link between X-ray source and stellar populations in M81

We propose to perform a deep v~26-27.0 HST-ACS survey of the nearby
{3.6 Mpc} spiral galaxy M~81 in order to study the nature of its X-ray
source populations detected with Chandra. For the first time in a
galaxy other than the Milky-Way or the Magelanic Clouds, we will
classify X-ray sources as High-Mass and Low-Mass X-ray binaries
{HMXBs, LMXBs} and investigate how these populations depend on their
galactic environment. The classification will be performed {a} by
finding and classifying unique optical counterparts for the X-ray
sources and {b} studying the stellar populations in their vicinity.
Both tasks require the 0.1'' resolution of HST-ACS which matches well
the positional accuracy of Chandra. Finally we will use these results
together with X-ray binary evolution synthesis models in order to
constrain X-ray binary {XRB} evolution channels. These data will also
be a great resource for studies of the star-formation and star-
cluster populations in one of the prototypical spiral galaxies.

NIC2/ACS/WFC/WFPC2 10532

Kinematics and morphology of the most massive field disk galaxies at
z1

We propose to obtain 1 orbit NIC-2 images of a sample of the 15 most
massive galaxies found at $1 z 1.3$. These were culled from over
20, 000 Keck spectra collected as part of DEEP and are unique among
high redshift massive galaxy samples in being kinematically selected.
We intend to test whether these potentially very young galaxies are
likely precursors to massive local disks, assuming no further merging.
NIC-2 images provide rest-frame optical morphologies that will show
whether they are normal disky systems or instead more disturbed
looking objects with multiple subcomponents, mergers, peculiar
structure, etc. NIC-2 provides near-IR resolutions sufficient to
enable measurements of bulges and disks subcomponents. The near-IR
will fill a critical gap in the broad-band SED photometry of the
galaxy and its subcomponents to estimate mean stellar ages and stellar
masses and to assess whether old stellar bulges and disks are in place
at that time. Finally, this sample will yield the first statistically
significant results on the $z 1$ evolution of the Tully-Fisher
relation for massive galaxies. In addition, we propose parallel
observations with ACS WFC {V and I bands} and WFPC2 {I-band}. These
will target up to 700 galaxies at redshifts 0.7 ... 1.2 for which the
DEEP2 survey has obtained precision redshifts and high-resolution
kinematic data. The added HST morphology and color information will
allow a variety of detailed studies on dynamical, structural, and
photometric evolution of galaxies.

NICMOS 8791

NICMOS Post-SAA calibration - CR Persistence Part 2

A new procedure proposed to alleviate the CR-persistence problem of
NICMOS. Dark frames will be obtained immediately upon exiting the SAA
contour 23, and every time a NICMOS exposure is scheduled within 50
minutes of coming out of the SAA. The darks will be obtained in
parallel in all three NICMOS Cameras. The POST-SAA darks will be
non-standard reference files available to users with a USEAFTER
date/time mark. The keyword 'USEAFTER=date/time' will also be added to
the header of each POST-SAA DARK frame. The keyword must be populated
with the time, in addition to the date, because HST crosses the SAA ~8
times per day so each POST-SAA DARK will need to have the appropriate
time specified, for users to identify the ones they need. Both the raw
and processed images will be archived as POST-SAA DARKSs. Generally we
expect that all NICMOS science/calibration observations started within
50 minutes of leaving an SAA will need such maps to remove the CR
persistence from the science images. Each observation will need its
own CRMAP, as different SAA passages leave different imprints on the
NICMOS detectors.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS: (None)