Truth (was) A human Mars mission?

Old August 16th 03, 07:21 PM
Jason Rhodes

Default Truth (was) A human Mars mission?

"Christopher" wrote in message
On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 09:08:12 -0000, Earl Colby Pottinger
wrote:

(Christopher) :

I never did physics, Algebra was enough, and I hated that.

Yes, we can tell. It shows up very clearly with a number of your
past/present statements.

So, not everyone likes physics or mathematics, its just not my field,
no more then my field is probably yours.

What is your field?

Jason

Old August 18th 03, 04:24 PM
Hop David

wrote:

(Christopher) :

I never did physics, Algebra was enough, and I hated that.

Yes, we can tell. It shows up very clearly with a number of your
past/present statements.

So, not everyone likes physics or mathematics, its just not my field,
no more then my field is probably yours.

You need some physics and mathematics to have an informed opinion on
space policy. It's like posting to a literature news groups without
knowing how to spell.

Hop
http://clowder.net/hop/index.html

Old August 19th 03, 04:47 AM
Hop David

Blurrt wrote:

wrote:

(Christopher) :

I never did physics, Algebra was enough, and I hated that.

Yes, we can tell. It shows up very clearly with a number of your
past/present statements.

So, not everyone likes physics or mathematics, its just not my field,
no more then my field is probably yours.

You need some physics and mathematics to have an informed opinion on
space policy. It's like posting to a literature news groups without
knowing how to spell.

Incorrect. You only need to have vision and good advisors.

Certainly Christopher has vision. He also says, for example, he was
advised a 5 mile wide torus spinning at 3 rpm would give an earth
gravity. Since he doesn't know physics or algebra, he did not know the
advice was bad.

I think you need to do some homework on your own to discern good advice
from bad.

Old August 20th 03, 12:06 PM
Christopher

wrote:

(Christopher) :

I never did physics, Algebra was enough, and I hated that.

Yes, we can tell. It shows up very clearly with a number of your
past/present statements.

So, not everyone likes physics or mathematics, its just not my field,
no more then my field is probably yours.

What is your field?

Requirments capture and modelling, plus simulation for business
systems for software development, but I'm looking to move into Human
Computer Interaction and interface design.

Christopher
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
"Kites rise highest against
the wind - not with it."
Winston Churchill
Old August 20th 03, 12:08 PM
Christopher

wrote:

(Christopher) :

I never did physics, Algebra was enough, and I hated that.

Yes, we can tell. It shows up very clearly with a number of your
past/present statements.

So, not everyone likes physics or mathematics, its just not my field,
no more then my field is probably yours.

You need some physics and mathematics to have an informed opinion on
space policy. It's like posting to a literature news groups without
knowing how to spell.

True, thats why I'm thinking of doing an Open University UK degree in
physics after Ive re-learnt physics and mathematics via GCSE then A
level books. Wish Id taken more intrest in my mths class at school
now.

Christopher
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
"Kites rise highest against
the wind - not with it."
Winston Churchill
Old August 24th 03, 02:01 AM
Rand Simberg

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 08:55:42 +1000, in a place far, far away, "Blurrt"
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such
a way as to indicate that:

You need some physics and mathematics to have an informed opinion on
space policy. It's like posting to a literature news groups without
knowing how to spell.

Incorrect. You only need to have vision and good advisors. Posting a
question or comment here with limited math or physics knowledge is not
invalid

If the comment is invalid, it's invalid. Particularly when stated
dogmatically, and I note that with some people, the vehemence with
which a statement is expressed is often directly proportional to how
nonsensical it is.

Old August 24th 03, 02:15 PM
Earl Colby Pottinger

h (Rand Simberg) :

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 08:55:42 +1000, in a place far, far away, "Blurrt"
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such
a way as to indicate that:

You need some physics and mathematics to have an informed opinion on
space policy. It's like posting to a literature news groups without
knowing how to spell.

Incorrect. You only need to have vision and good advisors. Posting a
question or comment here with limited math or physics knowledge is not
invalid

If the comment is invalid, it's invalid. Particularly when stated
dogmatically, and I note that with some people, the vehemence with
which a statement is expressed is often directly proportional to how
nonsensical it is.

And that is what always makes me fume. It is not having an opinion that is
not in agreement with mine or others is a problem. More than once the
majority opinion has been proven wrong. It is the stating of an opinion as
if it is a hard fact, and then if you question the person who made the
statement very often it turns out that they lack in any skills to make the
statement as the truth.

Note: When I say lack, I don't mean that they must have a university degree
in the subject in question, I mean that they

(A) Have not studied the subject in a school/college/university.

(B) Have not worked on a job related to the subject.

(C) Have not done the math/physics (and in some cases can't) to understand
the subject.

(D) Have not even done hobby work related to the subject.

(E) Collected the information from a limited and also usually biased source
and then refused to look at other sources that point out flaws in thier first
source.

(F) Are kooks or followers of a kook. The truth never matters to these
people.

Earl Colby Pottinger

PS. And Christopher the above does not really apply to you, you have already
shown that you can change your opinion so you are already off the list

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to
Old August 24th 03, 03:32 PM
Christopher

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 13:15:27 -0000, Earl Colby Pottinger
wrote:

[...]

Cool.

Christopher
"Kites rise highest against