Minkowski Metric

Old January 6th 07, 12:43 AM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.philosophy.tech,sci.astro
Pmb

Default Minkowski Metric

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in message
oups.com...

Pmb wrote:
"Chris" wrote in message
o.uk...
I wonder what it means?

covariant? Tensor? Metric?

I never did know. I probably never will.

Will it get me to alpha centuri or make me immortal?

I don't think so.

To familiarize yourself with these items you should take a quick look at
what tensors are. Then you'll be on your way to understanding the terms
you
seek. See my web page at

http://www.geocities.com/physics_wor...tro_tensor.htm

If anything is unclear then please let me know.

Good luck

Pete

Back in 1983, the International Standards of Units
agreed to set,
Length (n meters) = c Time (second),
with "n" a fixed scalar.

Did you (Pete and anyone else) agree with that
decision or have any input into that decision?
Ken

Nope. I certainly had no input back then. I was as freshman in college at
that time.
Pete

Old January 6th 07, 06:21 AM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.philosophy.tech,sci.astro
Koobee Wublee

Pmb wrote:

To familiarize yourself with these items you should take a quick look at
what tensors are. Then you'll be on your way to understanding the terms you
seek. See my web page at

http://www.geocities.com/physics_wor...tro_tensor.htm

If anything is unclear then please let me know.

How about something that is wrong?

In (17) and (18), you have

ds^2 = g_ij dq^i dq^j = g'_ij dq'^i dq'^j

In (19), you have

g_ij = g'_ij

If (dq^i dq^j =/= dq'^i dq'^j), then your (19) is wrong.

Therefore, g_ij cannot be a tensor.

With g_ij not being a tensor, it does not invalidate the Christoffel
symbols of the second kind or the Riemann curvature tensor. This only
means the Riemann curvature tensor is not a tensor but a matrix
dependent on the choice of coordinate system. The Ricci tensor is the
same way. Thus, the field equations are merely a set of ordinary
differential equations only valid for the particular choice of
coordinate system with g_ij as the metric to interpret the curvature in
spacetime where the geometry of spacetime is truly invariant.

Old January 6th 07, 09:39 AM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.philosophy.tech,sci.astro
Ken S. Tucker

Pmb wrote:
"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

See if this looks ok...
Since 1983, N= 299,792,458
N meters = c * 1 second.
See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metre

IMO, that's had a profound effect on Relativity Theory.

In the MKS system of units we have the basis vectors
e1, e2, e3 and e4 such that the magnitudes are

|ei| = 1 meter, {i=1,2,3} and |e4| = c*1 second.

These are related by N*|ei| = |e4| as per definition,
and I'm ok with that International definition and have
learned to live with it just fine.
With it understood the e_u are the 4D basis vectors
and we define our metrics by the scalar products

g_uv = e_u . e_v and g^uv = e^u . e^v

(covariant (cov) and contravariant (con) respectively).

It's easy to see from above (either cov or con)

N*N*g11 = g44 , IOW's,

N^2 Meter^2 = c^2 Second^2.

Those equations are arrived at by applying the
International definition of the MKS system.

To simplify, I'll change the length and time units
so that N=1 and c=1 to get,

g11 = g44

in "flat space".

Using a cartesian CS, we now have,

g11 = g22 = g33 = g44 = 1.

We recover the spacetime interval

ds^2 = dx4 dx4 - dx1 dx1 - dx2 dx2 - dx3 dx3

from

ds^2 = g_uv dx^u dx^v

by employing g_i4 = -g_ij dx^j /dx^4, to yield,

ds^2 = g_44 dx^4 dx^4 - g_ij dx^i dx^j.

Pete, maybe I should write a paper on that,
because it's really involved after that last step.
Regards
Ken S. Tucker

Old January 6th 07, 12:40 PM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.philosophy.tech,sci.astro
Pmb

"Koobee Wublee" wrote in message
ups.com...
Pmb wrote:

To familiarize yourself with these items you should take a quick look at
what tensors are. Then you'll be on your way to understanding the terms
you
seek. See my web page at

http://www.geocities.com/physics_wor...tro_tensor.htm

If anything is unclear then please let me know.

How about something that is wrong?

In (17) and (18), you have

ds^2 = g_ij dq^i dq^j = g'_ij dq'^i dq'^j

In (19), you have

g_ij = g'_ij

19 does not say that. Please reread.

Pete

Old January 6th 07, 08:55 PM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.philosophy.tech,sci.astro
Chris

Remember the christoffel symbols well before they chopped me brain out "I'm
Chris".

The doctors are nuts.

Chris.

. ..

Old January 6th 07, 10:21 PM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.philosophy.tech,sci.astro
Ken S. Tucker

Pmb wrote:

To familiarize yourself with these items you should take a quick look at
what tensors are. Then you'll be on your way to understanding the terms
you
seek. See my web page at

http://www.geocities.com/physics_wor...tro_tensor.htm

If anything is unclear then please let me know.

How about something that is wrong?

In (17) and (18), you have

ds^2 = g_ij dq^i dq^j = g'_ij dq'^i dq'^j

In (19), you have

g_ij = g'_ij

19 does not say that. Please reread.

Pete

Hi Pete, I read over your article twice and it looks
good to me, (classical of course). Certainly your
Eq. (19) is perfect. I think KW might be jerking ya.
Regards
Ken

Old January 6th 07, 11:08 PM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.philosophy.tech,sci.astro
Pmb

Pmb wrote:

To familiarize yourself with these items you should take a quick look
at
what tensors are. Then you'll be on your way to understanding the
terms
you
seek. See my web page at

http://www.geocities.com/physics_wor...tro_tensor.htm

If anything is unclear then please let me know.

How about something that is wrong?

In (17) and (18), you have

ds^2 = g_ij dq^i dq^j = g'_ij dq'^i dq'^j

In (19), you have

g_ij = g'_ij

19 does not say that. Please reread.

Pete

Hi Pete, I read over your article twice and it looks
good to me, (classical of course). Certainly your
Eq. (19) is perfect. I think KW might be jerking ya.
Regards
Ken

Hmm ... I don't see the humor in it. - Pete

Old January 6th 07, 11:26 PM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.philosophy.tech,sci.astro
Ken S. Tucker

Pmb wrote:

[...]

Usually KW is a fair guy, I sure hope he didn't
deliberately misquote your carefully crafted
article. Let's wait for him to chime in, maybe
there's a misunderstanding.
Ken

Old January 7th 07, 12:04 AM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.philosophy.tech,sci.astro
Pmb

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in message
ps.com...

Pmb wrote:

[...]

Usually KW is a fair guy, ..

You're right on that part. He seems like a nice person to me.

...I sure hope he didn't
deliberately misquote your carefully crafted
article. Let's wait for him to chime in, maybe
there's a misunderstanding.
Ken

I think he must have have simply missed it for whatever reason. I don't
seriously think he and I disagree on the math. One of us made an error and I
don't believe the error was mine. But we all do it at one point or another.
Who knows, maybe I'm wrong here too?

Pete

Old January 7th 07, 02:41 AM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.philosophy.tech,sci.astro
Koobee Wublee

Pmb wrote:
"Koobee Wublee" wrote in message

How about something that is wrong?

In (17) and (18), you have

ds^2 = g_ij dq^i dq^j = g'_ij dq'^i dq'^j

In (19), you have

g_ij = g'_ij

19 does not say that. Please reread.

Yes, you are very correct. It is my mistake. What you are saying is
what I have been telling Mr. Bielawski, Dr. Roberts, Mr. McCollough,
and their sidekicks all along. I must be terribly intoxicated then.

However, I still have a couple questions I would like you to address
that is if you care to do so.

** Why do you call the metric a tensor since the metric is dependent
on the choice of coordinate system? The metric is not invariant while
ds^2 is invariant, and you call it a tensor.

** Why do you think the Riemann curvature tensor is a tensor while the
Christoffel symbols of the second kind are not tensors? The Riemann
curvature tensor is a function of the Christoffel symbols of the second
kind.

Penrose Diagram for Globally Flat Minkowski Space-Time Jack Sarfatti Astronomy Misc 2 August 21st 06 02:10 AM
Einstein, Minkowski, and Earth-to-Orbit Technology ransom Policy 1 March 20th 06 04:44 PM
Wireless LED illuminators (metric threads) Sam Wormley Amateur Astronomy 0 December 3rd 05 10:24 PM
Metric on Mars Markus Kuhn Policy 432 June 10th 04 11:20 PM
The Myth of Vacuum Force Metric Certainty. gravity jones Astronomy Misc 1 January 8th 04 05:22 AM