If you were to buy only 1 book....

Old August 15th 05, 12:55 AM
PETER WALKER

Appologies to Rod Mollise. In my answer post I called you Rob.

Peter

Old August 15th 05, 02:02 AM
Mark C

I would suggest the two volume set by George Robert Kepple and Glen W.
Sanner:
The Night Sky Observer's Guide, Volume 1, Autumn & Winter
The Night Sky Observer's Guide, Volume 2, Spring & Summer

It has a nice summary of most deep sky objects describing what you will see
for many different size telescopes. The paper survives the dew encountered
in the filed. Over all a good set of books.

--
Mark Casazza
http://casazza.net

"PETER WALKER" wrote in message
If you were a complete beginner in the astronomy interest, what book would
you buy?

The reason I ask this is because after my wife and I seperated
(permanently), she kept everything I had astronomy related so now I have
nothing. I would like to slowly start buying what I lost all over again. I
used to have Nigh****ch I think was the name of the book, but all I found

of
interest in it were the Star Maps. Could anyone suggest what I should
consider buying?

Peter

Old August 15th 05, 02:30 AM
Star

On 14 Aug 2005, you wrote in sci.astro.amateur:

If you were a complete beginner in the astronomy interest, what book
would you buy?

The reason I ask this is because after my wife and I seperated
(permanently), she kept everything I had astronomy related so now I
have nothing. I would like to slowly start buying what I lost all over
again. I used to have Nigh****ch I think was the name of the book, but
all I found of interest in it were the Star Maps. Could anyone suggest
what I should consider buying?

Peter

I have found that "Peterson's Field Guide to the Stars and Planets" has
been the most overall helpful book in my collection. It has overall star
charts plus detailed star charts by Will Tirion that are very similar to
Sky Atlas 2000. Also, it has the usual information about planets,
meteors, the moon as well as lots of great pictures and general
introductory material. It's not perfect but if I had to have one book,
this would be it!

Peace,
Chris

Old August 15th 05, 03:11 AM
Joe S.

"PETER WALKER" wrote in message
If you were a complete beginner in the astronomy interest, what book would
you buy?

The reason I ask this is because after my wife and I seperated
(permanently), she kept everything I had astronomy related so now I have
nothing. I would like to slowly start buying what I lost all over again. I
used to have Nigh****ch I think was the name of the book, but all I found

of
interest in it were the Star Maps. Could anyone suggest what I should
consider buying?

Peter

I'd consider buying a 9mm Glock and retrieve my astronomy stuff.

--

-----
Joe S.

Old August 15th 05, 03:51 AM
Jan Owen

"Sam Wormley" wrote in message
PETER WALKER wrote:
If you were a complete beginner in the astronomy interest, what book

would
you buy?

The reason I ask this is because after my wife and I seperated
(permanently), she kept everything I had astronomy related so now I

have
nothing. I would like to slowly start buying what I lost all over

again. I
used to have Nigh****ch I think was the name of the book, but all I

found of
interest in it were the Star Maps. Could anyone suggest what I should
consider buying?

Peter

Sky Altas 2000

I have several sky/star atlases, but I'm with Sam on this one... Sky
Atlas 2000, field edition...

I've long since worn out the first set, and am near the point of going for
a THIRD...

I do like Uranometria 2000, but at the telescope, I still find myself
using Sky Atlas 2000...

--
Jan Owen

To reach me directly, remove the Z, if one appears in my e-mail address...
Latitude: 33.662
Longitude: -112.3272

Old August 15th 05, 03:55 AM
PETER WALKER

LOL Very funny.

No, honestly, I'm a man of Christian Faith and know that God will ultimately
reward me for every action / reaction in my dealings with my wife and judge
each of us accordingly. One day he will give me the answers to all of my
Astronomy questions. Amen?

In the meantime, I will go on and re-buy it all and maybe some things
better.

Peter

Old August 15th 05, 07:16 AM
Pat O'Connell

PETER WALKER wrote:
LOL Very funny.

No, honestly, I'm a man of Christian Faith and know that God will ultimately
reward me for every action / reaction in my dealings with my wife and judge
each of us accordingly. One day he will give me the answers to all of my
Astronomy questions.

Only if you start working on experiments to help determine the nature of
the Universe, or read others' results and come to your own conclusions.
No contradictions exist between science and _most_ flavors of Christianity.

In the meantime, I will go on and re-buy it all and maybe some things
better.

I've got an MS degree (CS, not astronomy), and find the current version
of Nigh****ch to be pretty helpful in understanding the big picture of
the Universe. Only problem is that current understanding of the Universe
changes as new evidence is found (example: the new tenth planet).

--
Pat O'Connell
[note munged EMail address]

Old August 15th 05, 09:50 AM
md

"PETER WALKER" wrote in message news:YnJLe.5424$1b5.4975@trnddc05...
If you were a complete beginner in the astronomy interest, what book would
you buy?

The reason I ask this is because after my wife and I seperated
(permanently), she kept everything I had astronomy related so now I have
nothing.

Many good suggestions already in this thread, my choice would be sky atlas 2000, which I use
much more than any astronomy book I have.

I wonder why your wife kept all your astro stuff?? She is into astronomy as well? I am really
surprised she kept it as I am pretty sure that when my wife would kick me out, the scopes would
follow immediately !
--
Martijn (astro-at-pff-software.nl)
10" LX200GPS-SMT

Old August 15th 05, 08:38 PM
CLT

"PETER WALKER" wrote in message
If you were a complete beginner in the astronomy interest, what book would
you buy?

The Modern Moon by Chuck Wood. Then use (free) Virtual Moon Atlas on a
computer.

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?

To reply, remove Delete and change period com to period net