Space based SETI ...

Old December 14th 04, 12:44 AM
Alfred A. Aburto Jr.

Default Space based SETI ...

Today I recieved a letter from The Planetary Society asking for
donations to their SETI Fund, and telling of new efforts being planned
for Space Based SETI. Space Based SETI involves putting SETI equipment
in orbit around Earth and in space. Good idea as it would be the first
attempts to isolate SETI antennas from Earth RFI/EMI and it would allow
looking at frequencies not possible with the Earth based SETI antennas.

One project idea was to use the NASA Terrestrial Planet Finder (TPF)
optics to search for infrared nanosecond pulses (this would be an
extension of the Optical SETI currently done at Harvard and Berkeley and
Princeton). It turns out that this (I don't know exactly how) would be
an easy thing to do and The Planetary Society might just succeed and
make it happen.
Al
Old December 14th 04, 03:15 AM
Rob Dekker

Wow ! Cool !
That is my first reaction. Space based search definitely has advantages as you say : reduced RFI, but mostly : we could search in
vast and the interesting (advanced civilization?) region between 50Ghz to deep infrared which is mostly absorbed in the atmosphere.

But what is the benefit of doing Optical SETI in space ?
There is no RFI in ns pulses, and the atmosphere is very transparent for infrared.
Are ns pulses dispersed in the atmosphere or so ?
Is there some other effect that makes space-based OSETI advantageous w.r.t. an earth-based system ?

Rob

Old December 14th 04, 05:24 AM
Alfred A. Aburto Jr.

Rob Dekker wrote:
Wow ! Cool !
That is my first reaction. Space based search definitely has advantages as you say : reduced RFI, but mostly : we could search in
vast and the interesting (advanced civilization?) region between 50Ghz to deep infrared which is mostly absorbed in the atmosphere.

But what is the benefit of doing Optical SETI in space ?
There is no RFI in ns pulses, and the atmosphere is very transparent for infrared.
Are ns pulses dispersed in the atmosphere or so ?
Is there some other effect that makes space-based OSETI advantageous w.r.t. an earth-based system ?

The main thing about the infrared, with respect to the TPF, is to move
away from the heat of the Sun so that the sensitivity of the instrument
can be significantly increased ...

Old December 14th 04, 03:54 PM
Alfred A. Aburto Jr.

Rob Dekker wrote:
Wow ! Cool !
That is my first reaction. Space based search definitely has advantages as you say : reduced RFI, but mostly : we could search in
vast and the interesting (advanced civilization?) region between 50Ghz to deep infrared which is mostly absorbed in the atmosphere.

But what is the benefit of doing Optical SETI in space ?
There is no RFI in ns pulses, and the atmosphere is very transparent for infrared.

Rob,
The atmosphere is transparent to infrared at the small wavelengths
otherwise most of the infrared is blocked I believe ...

See the following web site:
http://www.ipac.caltech.edu/Outreach...irwindows.html

Are ns pulses dispersed in the atmosphere or so ?

Perhaps, but I don't think that is a critical factor being considered.

Is there some other effect that makes space-based OSETI advantageous w.r.t. an earth-based system ?

In the infrared region (1 to 500 micrometer wavelengths?)the sensitivity
of a telescope is improved by moving out away from the proximity of the
Sun (as the Sun tends to overwhelm in the infrared). For that reason the
TPF mission will be deployed out around 5 AU from the Sun (somewhere out
near the orbit of Jupiter (as I recall)).

Old December 14th 04, 10:51 PM

For radio SETI in space, the antenna system needs to be out well beyond
geosynchronous orbit to get any benefit from reduced RFI. The lunar
farside would be a great place for SETI, but a space antenna orbiting
an Earth-Moon, or better an Earth-Sun, Lagrange point would have litle
interference from the Earth or satellites.

Old December 14th 04, 10:53 PM

For radio SETI in space, the antenna system needs to be out well beyond
geosynchronous orbit to get any benefit from reduced RFI. The lunar
farside would be a great place for SETI, but a space antenna orbiting
an Earth-Moon, or better an Earth-Sun, Lagrange point would have litle
interference from the Earth or satellites.

(Sorry if this gets posted twice. There was an error on the first
attempt.)

Old December 15th 04, 02:40 AM
Gary Heston

Rob Dekker wrote:
[ ... ]
But what is the benefit of doing Optical SETI in space ?
There is no RFI in ns pulses, and the atmosphere is very transparent for
infrared.
Are ns pulses dispersed in the atmosphere or so ?
Is there some other effect that makes space-based OSETI advantageous
w.r.t. an earth-based system ?

[ ... ]

In space, there are no clouds, at least not as dense as the ones
in our atmosphere.

Gary

--
Gary Heston

"Sept. 11, 2001, already a day of immeasurable tragedy, cannot be
the day liberty perished in this country." Judge Gerald Tjoflat
Old January 1st 05, 05:01 AM
Chuck_Sterling

Gary Heston wrote:
In article ,
Rob Dekker wrote:
[ ... ]

But what is the benefit of doing Optical SETI in space ?
There is no RFI in ns pulses, and the atmosphere is very transparent for
infrared.
Are ns pulses dispersed in the atmosphere or so ?
Is there some other effect that makes space-based OSETI advantageous
w.r.t. an earth-based system ?

[ ... ]

In space, there are no clouds, at least not as dense as the ones
in our atmosphere.

Gary

Wrong. We cannot even see the center of our own galaxy as a result of
dust clouds.

Chuck
Old January 1st 05, 12:01 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Chuck_Sterling
writes
Gary Heston wrote:
In article ,
Rob Dekker wrote:
[ ... ]

But what is the benefit of doing Optical SETI in space ?
There is no RFI in ns pulses, and the atmosphere is very transparent for
infrared.
Are ns pulses dispersed in the atmosphere or so ?
Is there some other effect that makes space-based OSETI advantageous
w.r.t. an earth-based system ?

[ ... ]
In space, there are no clouds, at least not as dense as the ones
in our atmosphere.
Gary

Wrong. We cannot even see the center of our own galaxy as a result of
dust clouds.

Only in visible light. Infrared and other wavelengths (some only
accessible in space) can penetrate to the centre of the galaxy.
--
What have they got to hide? Release the ESA Beagle 2 report.

International Space Station Science - One of NASA's rising stars Jacques van Oene Space Station 0 December 27th 03 01:32 PM
New Space Race? Eugene Kent Misc 9 November 13th 03 01:42 PM
Report on China's Space Program Steve Dufour Misc 20 October 25th 03 06:43 AM