Herald - Bobroff AstroAtlas (mini-review)

Old May 19th 04, 05:02 AM
Stephen Paul

Default Herald - Bobroff AstroAtlas (mini-review)

I have to say that at both first and second glance, this Atlas lives up to
its reputation.

A quick rundown of what's included, copied from the Chart Summary on Pgs.
3-5:

There are 12 charts int he A-series. Each covers the whole sky, and
generally shows the distribution of objects.
A-01 Distribution of Bright Stars
A-02 Constellations
A-03 C-Series chart boudaries (for locating which C-series chart covers what
area of sky)
A-04 D-Series chart boundaries
A-05 Distribution of the best DSOs
A-06 Distribution of Galaxies (to mag 12)
A-07 Distribution of Bright Nebulae
A-08 Distribution of Globular Clusters (to mag 15)
A-09 Distribution of Planetary Nebulae (to mag 15)
A-10 Distribution of Open Clusters (to mag 12)
A-11 Distribution of Dark Nebulae
A-12 Distribution of Messier objects

(These "Distribution" charts have the same size and grid as the C and D
chart boundaries. So, at a glance, you can see which C and D chart covers
the objects listed at any location for the whole sky distributions. Prett
neat. Easy to use.)

The B-series charts are based on the Yale Bright Star Catalogue and each one
covers 64 degrees in declination and 6 hours in right ascension with stars
down to mag 6.9. There are three sets of the B-Series charts that provide
the same sky coverage, B, BS and BM. The B and BS charts are the same, only
the BS are plotted with South at the top. These two sets are "ideal for
locating the brighter and most spectacular astronomical objects". The third
of the B-series is the BM, in which only stars are plotted, with each
labeled by magnitude. This chart can be used to determine your NELM, or for
that matter the magnitude of any naked eye star to mag 6.5 (since that is
one of my favorite things to do in this hobby, that's way cool).

The C-series charts are the main charts covering "the whole sky in 94 charts
at a uniform scale". The charts plot stars to magnitude 9 and non-stellar to
magnitude 14.

The D-series charts are plots of 42 regions within the C-series charts where
more area is necessary. The Virgo cluster is an example. These are divided
up into 4 groups:
- the polar regions
- the Magellanic clouds
- rich regions in the Milky Way, the region around Orion and the Pleaides
- regions having many galaxies

The E-series charts make up for what the D-series charts lack in handling:
- the Large Megallanic Clouds (plotted with stars to mag 14)
- the Virgo cluster (in 4 charts. stars to mag 13, non-stellar to mag 15)
- the central region of the Small Megallanic Cloud (stars to mag 14,
non-stellar to mag 15)
- the region around eta Carinae (stars to mag 11, non-stellar to mag 15)

All charts have some level of cross referencing going on so that at any
time, in any chart, you can determine the neighboring chart, or where a
"deep" chart is available where warranted.

This is by far the best atlas I've seen for table top reference (I have
Norton's, the BSA, and SA2000, as well as TheSky L1, and Cartes du Ciel).

The pages are bound in spiral fashion and it might be kind of handy to break
the complete altas up into the separate charts, if you can find some spare
spirals around somewhere. At 11" x 16", and with the amount of coverage on
each page, as well as the full foldback capability of the spiral binding, I
foresee no problems whatsoever using this atlas in the field. Probably the
most difficult thing will be seeing the embedded indicators for the D-series
charts, which are designated in a light gray font.

Basically, I'm thinking this means, "so long Sky Atlas 2000 Deluxe". It's
that much better, and the size and page format beats the pants off the SA200
Deluxe fold-out pages (which I never liked).
-----------
Regards,
Stephen Paul
Shirley, MA

Old May 19th 04, 10:01 AM
Geoff

On Wed, 19 May 2004 00:02:23 -0400, "Stephen Paul"
wrote:

Its just a shame that its no longer printed in Australia so its going
to cost a bomb to ship

Old May 19th 04, 02:36 PM
Jax

wrote:

Its just a shame that its no longer printed in Australia so its going
to cost a bomb to ship

Shipping from Australia to the US wasn't expensive if it went surface. As
David suggested, it's air shipped over water anyway, so the time saved is
surface vs air from your port of entry. Hope it works the same when
returning to it's country of origin. Perhaps David and Peter can work a
deal so it will be available to their fellow countrymen at a good price.

peace,
jon

Old May 19th 04, 03:19 PM
Shneor Sherman

"Stephen Paul" wrote in message ...
[...]

What I like most about H-B is the shape of the "C" charts - wedges of
sky rather than projections that don't show distances that are
consistently accurate.
Clear skies,
Shneor Sherman
Old May 19th 04, 05:52 PM
Brian Tung

Shneor Sherman wrote:
What I like most about H-B is the shape of the "C" charts - wedges of
sky rather than projections that don't show distances that are
consistently accurate.

Aside from planispheres and full-sky wall maps, I don't think any star
atlases really show that much distortion.

BTW, Shneor, did you get my e-mail?

Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt
Old May 20th 04, 03:23 PM
Shneor Sherman

(Brian Tung) wrote in message ...
Shneor Sherman wrote:
What I like most about H-B is the shape of the "C" charts - wedges of
sky rather than projections that don't show distances that are
consistently accurate.

Aside from planispheres and full-sky wall maps, I don't think any star
atlases really show that much distortion.

BTW, Shneor, did you get my e-mail?

Brian Tung
The Astronomy Corner at
http://astro.isi.edu/
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt

E-mail - No, or at least, not yet. I haven't checked since yeaterday.
Nor that I think about it, I don't remember including my e-mail
address. I have not received it at my ISP, as it turns out. You can
find me at the tac-sac Yahoo group, if you don't mind checking that
out.

How much distortion? More near the edges and corners, that's for sure.
At the scale of the new Uranometria, not much at all. But there's none
with H-B.

Clear skies,
Shneor Sherman
Old May 20th 04, 06:32 PM
Brian Tung

Shneor Sherman wrote:
E-mail - No, or at least, not yet. I haven't checked since yeaterday.
Nor that I think about it, I don't remember including my e-mail
address. I have not received it at my ISP, as it turns out. You can
find me at the tac-sac Yahoo group, if you don't mind checking that
out.

I think it would be better if you just e-mailed me. I need your address
in order to send you the registration file.

Old May 21st 04, 04:09 AM
Alan French

"Stephen Paul" wrote in message
I have to say that at both first and second glance, this Atlas lives up to
its reputation.

A quick rundown of what's included, copied from the Chart Summary on Pgs.
3-5:

Stephen,

Do you still need a magnifying glass and a secret decoder ring to figure out
all the symbols?

Clear skies, Alan

Old May 24th 04, 01:28 AM
Rod Mollise

Do you still need a magnifying glass and a secret decoder ring to figure out
all the symbols?

Hi Alan:

I don't know about him, but I do. ;-)

It does get a little easier, but I keep the cheat sheet handy.

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html