Starting at astrophotography

Old February 8th 04, 03:52 PM
Pieter Tieghem

Default Starting at astrophotography

Hi all!

After some months of taking astropictures piggy back and on a tripod, I
would like to photograph through my telescope (through the eyepiece). I
would like to get some pictures of planets, deep sky objects and so on. But
I was wondering if my telescope and mount would be good enough. I have a
200mm f/5 (fl=1000mm) Newtonian on an EQ-5 mount, with Plossl eyepieces. The
mount has aluminium legs. The motor I can buy is for the EQ-5 and I would
get it from sky-watcher. Will my mount be stable enough to get sharp
pictures or not, is it good motor too? And are my eyepieces ok?

Thanks for any help!!!

Pieter
--
-------------
change NO.SPAM to pieter.tieghem to mail me

Old February 8th 04, 04:14 PM
Al

"Pieter Tieghem" wrote in message
[...]

The short answer is that your scope is _not_ stable enough, but this is
easily corrected by replacing that ghastly aluminum tripod with something
more solid. You could buy a good replacement tripod on-line or you can make
one yourself. Making one yourself is an excellent project for you and one
which will give you many hours of very stable viewing. I have close up
pictures of an excellent tripod on my web page, from which you can fashion
your own tripod. ( www.alsastro.com ) If you have any questions in making
your own tripod, feel free to write me from my web page.

Finally, I urge you to start your photography adventure by using the prime
focus method first. This is a bit easier to master and is very rewarding in
its results. Prime focus is using the telescope (without eyepieces) as a
camera lens. I suggest you start by taking some pictures of the moon.

Al

Old February 8th 04, 05:01 PM
Rod Mollise

But
I was wondering if my telescope and mount would be good enough. I have a
200mm f/5 (fl=1000mm) Newtonian on an EQ-5 mount, with Plossl eyepieces.

Hi:

Yes, this is good enough to start with. I don't quite understand the reference
to "through eyepieces" though. Unless you're using a digital camera without a
removable lens, you'll want to shoot prime focus most of the time. You might,
before you do anything else, order yourself a copy of s.a.a.'s own Michael
Covington's _Astrophotography for the Amateur_--it will tell you just about
everything you need to know.

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html

Old February 9th 04, 04:49 PM
Pieter Tieghem

Ok thanks ppl for the replies! They are completely different but anyway
thanks ;-)

With photographing 'through the eyepiece', I mean that you insert an
eyepiece between the camera and the telescope, to get long focal lengths to
be able to photograph the planets.

I will have a go at Michael Covingtons book I think, and I will see if my
tripod is good enough or not.

Pieter
--

Old February 9th 04, 07:15 PM
Jon Isaacs

I will have a go at Michael Covingtons book I think, and I will see if my
tripod is good enough or not.

Pieter
--

I think Rod has a scope very similar to yours so the mount should be adequate,
especially if you do not extend the legs...

jon