$3000 and which scope???

Old October 13th 03, 05:25 PM
Jon Isaacs

Default $3000 and which scope???

In any case you don't need wide field for that either. A finder scope and
detailed charts are also advantageous.

A wide field certainly helps when star hopping. A 10 inch scope at 40X with a
near 2 degree FOV will pickup those faint fuzzies a whole lot better than a
finder scope. I think that one needs two scopes atleast, a widefield
moderate aperture
scope
and a larger scope that could be an Nextstar 11.

jon

Hey, that sounds like a plan!

Yeah, its one plan, not my plan even though I suggested it. My plan is to have
a nice sized DOB or two for Star hopping and some smaller scopes for
Starhopping.

But certainly IMHO a NextStar 11 is a viable option, especially for someone who
wants to have a large SCT that is reasonably easy to setup.

jon

Old October 13th 03, 05:51 PM
Herm

the largest Zambuto Starmaster that it would buy.. scrounge up eyepieces
and DSCs later.

On 12 Oct 2003 07:31:51 -0700, (david) wrote:

If you had a limit of $3000, what scope setup would you buy and why?
No, I haven't won the lottery...
David

Herm
Astropics
http://home.att.net/~hermperez
Old October 13th 03, 07:04 PM
Alan W. Craft

On 13 Oct 2003 05:44:38 -0700, (Rod Mollise) ...reflected:

Alan W. Craft wrote in message . ..
On 12 Oct 2003 22:14:00 GMT,
(Rod Mollise) ...reflected:

There was a time when Meade, and perhaps Celestron, too,
offered f/6.3 instruments, but no more, and out of manufacturing
difficulties, I suspect, rather than lack of demand. Now, focal
reducers are proffered en lieu.

Hi Alan:

There may be reasons for not purchasing an SCT, but focal length ain't
one of 'em.

I beg to differ, for I plan on having a catadioptric someday, and
probably an 8" from either maker, or Celestron's 9.25", or Meade's 10",
at most, but only as an o.t.a., and for larger-apertured higher-magnification
observations, and without focal reducers.

I know; would that I had one now so as to justify my opinions. Still...

An f/6.3 reducer/corrector is inexpensive and works great--giving
arguably better images than most of Meade's "native" 6.3 scopes did.
In fact, the SCT is quite versatile as far as focal ratio goes. Depending
on what I'm doing, I can observe/image at f/3.3, f/6.3, f/10, f/20 or f/30
with easily available and inexpensive accessories.

But it's best not to introduce those extra elements into the optical train,
especially when one considers that the Schmidt-Cassegrain design is optically
inferior to that of a classical Newtonian, and that a Schmidt is more difficult
to manufacture than a Maksutov-Cassegrain, so I once read.

I ask you, why throw caution to the wind?

I understand that you have a 14" Celestron. In another thread I did note
how forgiving larger apertures must be of oculars's and other optical elements's
shortcomings, given an example primary's light-gathering ability and increased
resolution.

Methinks if "Celeste" went on a diet, and then to feed her a range of optical
"accessories"...

In the end, the makers have failed to duplicate the inherent focal-ratio-
versatility of the Newtonian in the Schmidt- and Maksutov-Cassegrain designs;
thus catadioptrics are inherently high-magnification instruments, just as the
classical Cassegrain itself: serene and elegant in its primordialism, only to be
"improved" at a later time...

Tell me, sir, would you say that I made a mistake in opting for an 8" f/5
Newtonian over an 8" f/10 catadioptric, and for general observing, optically-
speaking, that is, without portability or other convenience issues.

Please forgive me if I seem down on catadioptrics; it's just that I prefer
simpler, more elegant designs that obviously result in better optics and greater
inherent said versatility, rather than what I perceive to be the glorification of
those elements other than those of the optical train, even if only slightly so.

'Tis all give and take...

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html

Alan
Old October 13th 03, 08:40 PM
Jon Isaacs

But it's best not to introduce those extra elements into the optical train,
especially when one considers that the Schmidt-Cassegrain design is optically
inferior to that of a classical Newtonian,

This is open to discussion, especially when one considers things like coma and
flatness of field. Certainly the Schmitt Camera make possible widefield photos
that are impossible with a Newtonian.
----
Since we are talking F5 Newtonians, maybe it would be good to remember that F5
Newtonians suffer from coma and to obtain top notch widefield images, a
Paracorr is required, or at least one needs expensive highly corrected
eyepieces.

On the SCT side of things, the F6.3 reducer/correctors not only reduce the
focal length but flatten the field, both good things.

Sometimes when I am using my 12.5 inch F4.1 Newt at high powers I amuse myself
by considering the optical train, two mirrors, a paracorr with a few elements,
a barlow with 3 elements, and an eyepiece with anywhere from 3 to 8 elements.

So I wonder, is this a reflecting telescope, a Catadioptic Telescope or is just
mostly a refractor with a couple of mirrors added? And then think, all this to
achieve what a long focal length scope might do with a simple 4 element
eyepiece.

Yeah, I like Newtonians, thats why I have 4 of em, they are simple and easy to
understand. But that simplicity comes with a price and part of that price is
coma.

Tell me, sir, would you say that I made a mistake in opting for an 8" f/5
Newtonian over an 8" f/10 catadioptric, and for general observing, optically-
speaking, that is, without portability or other convenience issues.

These are decisions based on personal choice. Certainly an 8 inch F5 Newtonian
can provide some nice images, but then so can an 8 inch F10 SCT.

One problem with F5 scopes is that those widefield views people such as myself
enjoy occur at large exit pupils. Once one exceeds a 35mm eyepiece (and maybe
even a 25mm eyepiece), aperture is being wasted. Certainly often this is a
wise choice because the FOV is often more desireable than aperture. But a 42mm
eyepiece in an F6 scope provides the same exit pupil and FOV with less inharent
coma so one has to decide.....

My choice is for DOB mounted Newtonians because I like simplicity and elegence.
But I know there are trade offs and part of the compromise is accepting the
optical aberations of the fast newt.

jon

Old October 13th 03, 08:42 PM
Mike Reed

For $3k, I'd spend a winter in the workshop and come out with a big
dob. You can get a wonderful 16" mirror for under $2k, and use the
rest for spider, secondary, focuser, and building materials. You could
have a top-notch Dob for that money.

Why?
-I want to hunt galaxies. At 16" you're getting enough light that this
is practical and fun.
-There's no beating aperture.
-There's no better value for aperture than a Dob.
-I like building stuff (woodworker), and would like to try a scope

-Mike

Old October 14th 03, 01:36 AM
Chuck

I agree, that's why I plan to piggyback a nice rich field apo on my N11
(maybe the Orion 80 ED ..) best of both worlds

"Jon Isaacs" wrote in message
Wide field is sorta over rated. It's really cool and all that. But the

vast
majority of deep sky objects are actually rather small.

john

What seems to be true is that the vast majority of DSOs with names that

fit in
a done degree FOV relatively small.

But there is much to see that is on a large scale like the structure in

the
nebulosity of the Milky Way. In a 5 inch scope with a 3+ degree FOV this

is
impressive as are the star fields and large clusters of stars.

A geologist once told me that if you took 100 geologists and showed them a

wall
of rock with a small red spot in the middle every one of them would run

right
to the red rock and ignore the rest of it. I sometimes think amateur
astronomers are like this, zoom in on a small cluster or nebula and ignore

the
big picture. Lots to se that won't fit into a 1 degree FOV.

And of course for those who like Starhopping a wide FOV is a big

advantage.

Old October 14th 03, 03:17 AM
Alan W. Craft

On 13 Oct 2003 19:40:24 GMT, (Jon Isaacs) ...reflected:

But it's best not to introduce those extra elements into the optical train,
especially when one considers that the Schmidt-Cassegrain design is optically
inferior to that of a classical Newtonian,

This is open to discussion, especially when one considers things like coma and
flatness of field. Certainly the Schmitt Camera make possible widefield photos
that are impossible with a Newtonian.
----
Since we are talking F5 Newtonians, maybe it would be good to remember that F5
Newtonians suffer from coma...

Someone who owns a Synta 8" f/5 posted within and stated that he detected
only a negligible amount of coma, to which I replied that that was good to hear, so
I'm not scared, mister. Though...

Once mine, the Parks, arrives, I'll give a full unbiased report on both the coma, and
the o.t.a.'s compatibility with the Vixen GP-DX on which it's to be placed as previously
promised.

...and to obtain top notch widefield images, a
Paracorr is required, or at least one needs expensive highly corrected
eyepieces.

On the SCT side of things, the F6.3 reducer/correctors not only reduce the
focal length but flatten the field, both good things.

Sometimes when I am using my 12.5 inch F4.1 Newt at high powers I amuse myself
by considering the optical train, two mirrors, a paracorr with a few elements,
a barlow with 3 elements, and an eyepiece with anywhere from 3 to 8 elements.

Yes, an...

....f/4.1...

So I wonder, is this a reflecting telescope, a Catadioptic Telescope or is just
mostly a refractor with a couple of mirrors added? And then think, all this to
achieve what a long focal length scope might do with a simple 4 element
eyepiece.

Yeah, I like Newtonians, thats why I have 4 of em, they are simple and easy to
understand. But that simplicity comes with a price and part of that price is
coma.

Tell me, sir, would you say that I made a mistake in opting for an 8" f/5
Newtonian over an 8" f/10 catadioptric, and for general observing, optically-
speaking, that is, without portability or other convenience issues.

These are decisions based on personal choice. Certainly an 8 inch F5 Newtonian
can provide some nice images, but then so can an 8 inch F10 SCT.

Which of the two, and without Paracorrs or focal reducers, or even barlows,
would be best for general observing, from wide-field vistas to the serious long-term
study of Galilean transits?

That's all I'm asking.

One problem with F5 scopes is that those widefield views people such as myself
enjoy occur at large exit pupils. Once one exceeds a 35mm eyepiece (and maybe
even a 25mm eyepiece), aperture is being wasted. Certainly often this is a
wise choice because the FOV is often more desireable than aperture. But a 42mm
eyepiece in an F6 scope provides the same exit pupil and FOV with less inharent
coma so one has to decide.....

O! I would've vastly preferred an 8" f/6, but the tube was just too long; and
it's not like I haven't considered the exit pupil issue, as I had already resigned myself
to perhaps not being able to go much above a 32mm ocular in conjunction with even
my 4" f/8 refractor, let alone the 8" f/5.

Still, by just how much would the effective aperture be reduced with, say, even a
50mm ocular, and for someone in their advancing years with a maximum 5mm
dark-adapted pupil?

Alas, I'm only 39, but creeping on up there to be sure...

....Dad.

My choice is for DOB mounted Newtonians because I like simplicity and elegence.

That's STILL a classical Newtonian, as I wasn't necessarily entering mounts
into the equation.

That's a whole other ballgame.

But I know there are trade offs and part of the compromise is accepting the
optical aberations of the fast newt.

Yours, at f/4.1, is on a freeway...

....mine, at f/5, will simply be meandering down an old country road.

Oh, and then there's another little tiresome aspect of catadioptrics...

....with its consequent wires and strips and shields and such.

Alan
Old October 14th 03, 03:59 AM
Chuck

The only thing I use my dew shield in Colorado for has been to cut down on
stray light and counter balance my 35mm Pan. Of course we don't have the
same quality of seeing on the here on the front range ...