Hydrogen Production By Photosynthesis

Old May 3rd 04, 02:02 PM
steve

Default Hydrogen Production By Photosynthesis (should be outlawed)

Man will have to go through a cultural change that will allow
renewable energy to help us with our needs, and we are not thinking
like that today?

To say that we have the right to destroy water supplies just so we can
buzz around in our cars at 60-80 miles per hour is idiotic. Renewable
energy may only allow man to go 40 miles per hour?

We can't just drain the oceans and use the water for energy without
killing crops due to climate changes? We have no idea what impact
these changes will have, and no right to experiment on such grand
scales. For all we know, it only takes one inch of a drop in ocean
levels to affect massive rain patterns.

Once power supplies are relied upon, they are entrenched, to the point
that wars are fought over them (systems). Lets not build folly into
the future.

At some point man will have to choose between rampant capitalism (or
at least the concept of competition, and the balance of making money
without changing the environment?

If we know now that solar and wind power are the systems of the
future, lets not toy with extracting hydrogen from water, when water
is recycled by life itself on this planet, and should be sacred.

We have no idea if a future disaster will some how alter the balance
of water on Earth, and we have no right to take one drop away from the
future.

Yes, reading this chemical reaction is interesting, however I assume
the photosythesis is only occuring because of the presence of water in
the plant. Even on a large scale, extracting hydrogen (from whatever
means) from water is not the brightest scientific idea, just as you
would not introduce banned fish into your lakes that will destroy all
other life.

Most hydrogen currently being used for pre-production cars is
hyrdrogen being produced from current oil and gas refinery operations
(the hydrogen is basically wasted now). This is not the same thing as
telling 2 billion people, hey go ahead, burn as much hydrogen as you
want for the next 40 years.
Right now hyrdogen cars are a novelty, and they can be supported in
large numbers, but not on a scale that will compete with oil yet.

Once you achieve that scale, how do you replace the water if hydrogen
is extracted from it? Yes, I've read that burning hydrogen produces
water, but not on the scale you want (you are basically getting a few
drops in exchange for destroying several gallons)?

It is all about education. This is like telling truck drivers they
have to keep their motors running all the time, when you can rig up a
battery system (yes it would be big and relies on dc conversion
technology) that will run the air conditioning for several hours, and
the truck will recharge the batteries (just make sure you employ just
as many hundreds of people that will discover how to dispose of the
batteries?).

No, they want to push some kind of hydrogen fuel cell as the solution?

Sigh.

* wrote in message . ..
http://www.osti.gov/energycitations/...sti_id=6660456

http://unisci.com/stories/20013/0823013.htm

Photosynthesis Redirected To Produce Hydrogen As Fuel

Hydrogen holds great promise as the "green" energy source of the future.
Though ubiquitous, it rarely exists in a pure form in nature. Present
methods of producing hydrogen for fuel -- such as extraction from natural
gas -- are energy inefficient and polluting.
Hydrogen's potential as a "clean" fuel cannot be fully realized until it can
be generated from renewable resources.

In an article published in the June 2001 issue of Photochemistry and
Photobiology, researchers from the University of Tennessee's Center for
Environmental Biotechnology (CEB) and the Oak Ridge National Laboratory
(ORNL) demonstrate that photosynthesis -- the process that plants use to
make food from sunlight -- can be redirected to produce hydrogen.

The team of CEB researchers -- including undergraduate student Jennifer
Millsaps, UT/ORNL professor Elias Greenbaum and UT professor Barry Bruce
(biochemistry, cellular and molecular biology) -- extracted intact
photosynthetic complexes (Photosystem I) from spinach plants and coated one
side of each isolated complex with platinum atoms.

In the presence of an added electron donor, this "platinized complex" was
able to use visible light to produce hydrogen.

Photosynthesis results from the cooperation of two photosystems called
Photosystem I (PSI) and Photosystem II (PSII) that are coupled together in
the plant's chloroplast by an intermediary complex.

The green plant normally reduces carbon dioxide to carbohydrates in PSI in a
complex set of enzymatic reactions powered by the electrons produced when
water is split in PSII.

The UT/ORNL experiments uncoupled PSI from PSII, removing PSII and the
intervening complex and redirecting PSI reactions to produce molecular
hydrogen.

This is the first time platinized PSI has been used to generate hydrogen,
and represents the smallest nanoscale hydrogen-evolving system ever created.

So far, diversion to hydrogen production must be supported by feeding PSI a
high-energy donor such as ascorbate. The next step is to extract PSI and
PSII separately, and then join them back together head to toe, allowing PSII
to directly supply PSI with electrons derived from splitting water.

If done successfully, this nanoscale photosystem could produce a constant
supply of hydrogen and oxygen, a fuel that when burned produces heat --
leaving only water as the waste product.

Jennifer Millsaps, the undergraduate student from Maryville College who
acted as lead author on the article, was supported by the Professional
Internship Program (PIP) of the Oak Ridge Institute of Science and Education
(ORISE). The research was supported by the U.S. Department of Energy.

Old May 3rd 04, 05:20 PM
Laura

"steve" wrote in message
om...

snipped some

Once you achieve that scale, how do you replace the water if hydrogen
is extracted from it? Yes, I've read that burning hydrogen produces
water, but not on the scale you want (you are basically getting a few
drops in exchange for destroying several gallons)?

That's nonsense. Think about it. Where would the rest go?
If you take the hydrogen and oxygen produced from a certain quantity of
water and let it react, the same quantity of water appears. Of course, only
a little of it will be in liquid form - most will be vapour. Water vapour,
as you know, becomes rain. The water does not vanish.

Fusion power, on the other hand, would make water vanish, albeit in tiny
amounts compared to the yield. Why? Because that would force hydrogen nuclei
to fuse, thereby ceasing to be hydrogen (becoming helium instead).

Old May 3rd 04, 06:12 PM
*

On Mon, 3 May 2004 18:20:08 +0200, "Laura" wrote:

"steve" wrote in message
. com...

snipped some

Once you achieve that scale, how do you replace the water if hydrogen
is extracted from it? Yes, I've read that burning hydrogen produces
water, but not on the scale you want (you are basically getting a few
drops in exchange for destroying several gallons)?

That's nonsense. Think about it. Where would the rest go?
If you take the hydrogen and oxygen produced from a certain quantity of
water and let it react, the same quantity of water appears. Of course, only
a little of it will be in liquid form - most will be vapour. Water vapour,
as you know, becomes rain. The water does not vanish.

Fusion power, on the other hand, would make water vanish, albeit in tiny
amounts compared to the yield. Why? Because that would force hydrogen nuclei
to fuse, thereby ceasing to be hydrogen (becoming helium instead).

http://www.world-mysteries.com/sci_9.htm

On November 1, 1952, a full-scale, successful experiment was conducted by
the United States with a fusion-type device.

Suppressed by corporate interests:

http://www.nv.doe.gov/about/bn.htm

http://www.corpwatch.org/issues/PID....ticleid=6975#A

http://www.williambowles.info/ini/ini-0136.html

How suppressed:

http://www.geocities.com/cpa_blackto...echelbladn.htm

http://www.shire.net/big.brother/echelon.htm

Old May 3rd 04, 06:13 PM
*

On Mon, 3 May 2004 18:20:08 +0200, "Laura" wrote:

"steve" wrote in message
. com...

snipped some

Old May 3rd 04, 09:26 PM
House Widdershins

X-No Archive:Yes
On Mon, 3 May 2004 18:20:08 +0200, "Laura" wrote:

"steve" wrote in message
. com...

snipped some

Once you achieve that scale, how do you replace the water if hydrogen
is extracted from it? Yes, I've read that burning hydrogen produces
water, but not on the scale you want (you are basically getting a few
drops in exchange for destroying several gallons)?

That's nonsense. Think about it. Where would the rest go?
If you take the hydrogen and oxygen produced from a certain quantity of
water and let it react, the same quantity of water appears. Of course, only
a little of it will be in liquid form - most will be vapour. Water vapour,
as you know, becomes rain. The water does not vanish.

Fusion power, on the other hand, would make water vanish, albeit in tiny
amounts compared to the yield. Why? Because that would force hydrogen nuclei
to fuse, thereby ceasing to be hydrogen (becoming helium instead).

then if we breathed it, we'd all be talking in squeaky little voices.
That would certainly make opera more interesting.

Widdershins

The proof of a conspiracy, is the absolute lack of
evidence that there is one.
Old May 3rd 04, 09:28 PM
Laura

"*" wrote in message
On Mon, 3 May 2004 18:20:08 +0200, "Laura" wrote:

"steve" wrote in message
. com...

snipped some

[...]

LOL!
Wow, talk about taking something out of context and misunderstanding it
utterly in the process :-)
That device was the H-bomb, which does indeed use fusion.
An H-bomb (aka. thermonuclear bomb) uses a conventional fission bomb to
raise the temperature and pressure enough for fusion to take place in heavy
water.

Shall we supply the world with energy from the detonation of H-bombs? :-D

Old May 3rd 04, 09:34 PM
Carl R. Osterwald

In article , Laura
wrote:

"*" wrote in message
On Mon, 3 May 2004 18:20:08 +0200, "Laura" wrote:

"steve" wrote in message
. com...

snipped some

[...]

Yes, but this solution is being suppressed by Lockheed/Echelon.

-=-=-=-=-

Official AFA-B Bully, Pest, Antagonist, Gubmint Disinformation
Agent, "Dr. Green" Sockpuppet, and Chief AFA-B Vote Rustler.
Old May 3rd 04, 10:09 PM
Fat Bastard

"Carl R. Osterwald" wrote in message

Shall we supply the world with energy from the detonation of H-bombs?

:-D

Yes, but this solution is being suppressed by Lockheed/Echelon.

Carl, who needs hydrogen power when we've got those turd powered cars? Turd
power is our future.

Old May 4th 04, 06:05 AM
*

On Mon, 3 May 2004 22:28:20 +0200, "Laura" wrote:

"*" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 3 May 2004 18:20:08 +0200, "Laura" wrote:

"steve" wrote in message
. com...

snipped some

[...]

Of course, with applied technology. It's been around since 1952!

Old May 4th 04, 06:08 AM
*

On Mon, 03 May 2004 14:34:43 -0600, "Carl R. Osterwald" wrote:

Yes, but this solution is being suppressed by Lockheed/Echelon.

Lockheed owns Echelon.

And the Department of Energy, in conjunction with Bechtel and Johnson
Controls.

All of the above have a HUGE vested interest in sequestering fision/fusion
reactors. Of course, Bechtel Nevada uses the technology to create bombs
instead.