MEBAY: "Space Frontiers," "Shuttle/Comet," "Secrets of Space"

Old November 8th 03, 11:58 PM
Scott Lowther

Default MEBAY: "Space Frontiers," "Shuttle/Comet," "Secrets of Space"

Okay, I've got three more bits up for sci.space.* auction. This auction
is like the last one... send me an e-mail with your bid, I'll let you
know if you're in the lead. If the winning bidder rats out and doesn't
pay up (like happened on one lot the last time), the runner up gets it.
Bidding ends at 6 PM (PAcific time) next Saturday evening (Oct 15). I
take checks and PayPal, and if you're really trusting of the postal
system, cash. Please note that due to spam issues, you'll need to trim
the reply-to address a little. Buyer pays shipping.

First up: "Proceedings of the Shuttle-Based Cometary Science Workshop."
http://www.up-ship.com/Stuff/Ebay/8-8-03c.jpg
Softbound proceedings of a conference held November 1976. Ex NASA-Ames
library copy, in good shape, 260 pages. A number of papers on the
science and engineering of Shuttle-based astronomy... contents:
http://www.up-ship.com/Stuff/Ebay/8-8-03a.jpg
http://www.up-ship.com/Stuff/Ebay/8-8-03b.jpg
Some examples, showing Spacelab layouts and diamgrams:
http://www.up-ship.com/Stuff/Ebay/8-8-03d.jpg
http://www.up-ship.com/Stuff/Ebay/8-8-03e.jpg
Bidding on this starts at $10.00.

Next up is "Exploring the Secrets of Space," by I. M. Levitt and
Dandridge M. Cole, Prentice Hall, 1963 (2nd printing, '66).
http://www.up-ship.com/Stuff/Ebay/8-8-03f.jpg
This is a hardbound book (no dustjacket) that covers the basics of the
how and *why* of space travel. It's a spiffy book that shows one method
of sizing launch vehicles and spacecraft... chapters on chemical
rockets, advanced propulsion, staging, in-space refueling, life in
space. It's a good early sixties book for primilinary vehicle
performance and sizing, as well for the "philosophy" of spaceflight and
aview of the future of man in space.
Contents:
http://www.up-ship.com/Stuff/Ebay/8-8-03g.jpg
http://www.up-ship.com/Stuff/Ebay/8-8-03h.jpg
http://www.up-ship.com/Stuff/Ebay/8-8-03i.jpg
Some examples:
http://www.up-ship.com/Stuff/Ebay/8-8-03j.jpg
http://www.up-ship.com/Stuff/Ebay/8-8-03k.jpg
As you can see here, it's in good shape:
http://www.up-ship.com/Stuff/Ebay/8-8-03l.jpg
And as you can see here, it's a fascinating book:
http://www.up-ship.com/Stuff/Ebay/8-8-03m.jpg
Bidding starts at $20.00.

Last up is a lot of "Space Frontiers" magazines from the late 1980s.
These magazines were editted and published by Ted Talay, then an
engineer at NASA-Langley, and were generally 20 pages long. Well
illustrated (B&W) with modelers in mind. Also provided information on
currentl launches and relevant publications. "Space Frontiers" was a
small but beloved publication, and was an inspiration for the original
"Quest" space history magazine, as well as for "Aerospace Projects
review." Up for auction are Mar-April 87, May-June 87, Jul-Aug 87,
Oct-Nov 87, Jan-Feb 88, Ap-May 88, Jul-Aug 88, Oct-Nov 88, Jan-Feb 89,
July-aug 89, Sept-Oct 89. Topics included such things as German WWII
space launchers, the Collier's series, the Delta II, and several
reusable and expendable private enterprise alunch vehicles under
development at the time. These are the original magazines, not copies,
and are in good shape. They can bee seen (and are being seen) at:
http://www.up-ship.com/Stuff/Ebay/8-8-03n.jpg
Bidding starts at $20.00

--
Scott Lowther, Engineer
Remove the obvious (capitalized) anti-spam
Old November 9th 03, 08:45 AM
Pat Flannery

Scott Lowther wrote:

First up: "Proceedings of the Shuttle-Based Cometary Science Workshop."

The primary result was the crew looking out the window, and stating:
"GOD-DAMN, ARE WE LOW!"

Pat

Old November 9th 03, 04:40 PM
Scott Lowther

Scott Lowther wrote:

Bidding ends at 6 PM (PAcific time) next Saturday evening (Oct 15).

Ooops. I meant November 15. Well, let's make it 6 PM Novemeber 16,
Sunday.

Old November 13th 03, 02:18 AM
Scott Lowther

Scott Lowther wrote:

Okay, I've got three more bits up for sci.space.* auction.

First up: "Proceedings of the Shuttle-Based Cometary Science Workshop."

Next up is "Exploring the Secrets of Space," by I. M. Levitt and

Last up is a lot of "Space Frontiers" magazines from the late 1980s.

Huh. No bids. Well, okay. Auction cancelled.

Old November 13th 03, 03:51 AM
George William Herbert

Scott Lowther wrote:
Scott Lowther wrote:
Okay, I've got three more bits up for sci.space.* auction.
First up: "Proceedings of the Shuttle-Based Cometary Science Workshop."
Next up is "Exploring the Secrets of Space," by I. M. Levitt and
Last up is a lot of "Space Frontiers" magazines from the late 1980s.

Huh. No bids. Well, okay. Auction cancelled.

Aww.

I bid one pound, one glorious pound of high quality Gilroy
hill dust, currently stuck to the back of my car but deliverable
to any location required.

-george william herbert

Old November 13th 03, 03:56 AM
Scott Lowther

George William Herbert wrote:

Scott Lowther wrote:
Scott Lowther wrote:
Okay, I've got three more bits up for sci.space.* auction.
First up: "Proceedings of the Shuttle-Based Cometary Science Workshop."
Next up is "Exploring the Secrets of Space," by I. M. Levitt and
Last up is a lot of "Space Frontiers" magazines from the late 1980s.

Huh. No bids. Well, okay. Auction cancelled.

Aww.

I bid one pound, one glorious pound of high quality Gilroy
hill dust, currently stuck to the back of my car but deliverable
to any location required.

No thanks. I already have one of those.

Old November 13th 03, 03:16 PM
OM

Scott Lowther wrote:
Scott Lowther wrote:
Okay, I've got three more bits up for sci.space.* auction.
First up: "Proceedings of the Shuttle-Based Cometary Science Workshop."
Next up is "Exploring the Secrets of Space," by I. M. Levitt and
Last up is a lot of "Space Frontiers" magazines from the late 1980s.

Huh. No bids. Well, okay. Auction cancelled.

Aww.

I bid one pound, one glorious pound of high quality Gilroy
hill dust, currently stuck to the back of my car but deliverable
to any location required.

No thanks. I already have one of those.

...Provider OM bids two quatloos.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old November 15th 03, 10:13 AM
Julian Bordas

Scott Lowther wrote:

Scott Lowther wrote:

Okay, I've got three more bits up for sci.space.* auction.
First up: "Proceedings of the Shuttle-Based Cometary Science Workshop."
Next up is "Exploring the Secrets of Space," by I. M. Levitt and
Last up is a lot of "Space Frontiers" magazines from the late 1980s.

Huh. No bids. Well, okay. Auction cancelled.

Aww.

I bid one pound, one glorious pound of high quality Gilroy
hill dust, currently stuck to the back of my car but deliverable
to any location required.

No thanks. I already have one of those.

..Provider OM bids two quatloos.

OM

Provider Julian bids two quatlools and AU$2.50

Old November 15th 03, 09:41 PM
OM

Scott Lowther wrote:

Scott Lowther wrote:

Okay, I've got three more bits up for sci.space.* auction.
First up: "Proceedings of the Shuttle-Based Cometary Science Workshop."
Next up is "Exploring the Secrets of Space," by I. M. Levitt and
Last up is a lot of "Space Frontiers" magazines from the late 1980s.

Huh. No bids. Well, okay. Auction cancelled.

Aww.

I bid one pound, one glorious pound of high quality Gilroy
hill dust, currently stuck to the back of my car but deliverable
to any location required.

No thanks. I already have one of those.

..Provider OM bids two quatloos.

Provider Julian bids two quatlools and AU$2.50

....That brings the total up to only 1.257 quatloos.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr