ASTRO: M42 -- The Monkey Face Nebula

Old January 13th 07, 01:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: M42 -- The Monkey Face Nebula

Trying again with Astro this time.
___________________

Ok, I'll admit I've never heard it called that but that's the way it
came out in my photo. I've held off on this guy until my processing
skills had improved enough to give something with such a wide tonal
range a try. The usual way is to merge a short and long exposure. I'm
not there yet so used short H-alpha exposures for the L and even shorter
RGB frames. Not sure where the monkey came from however. He appears
happy enough however. (See the right side and warp your mind some.)

14" LX200R@f/10, H alpha=6x5' RGB=4x1' all binned 2x2, STL-11000M,
Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M42_6X5HA_4X1RGB-1.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	336
Old January 13th 07, 02:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro

DAMN!
that's good pic man!...

Old January 13th 07, 02:58 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Thanks
I had a good subject as well.

Rick

G wrote:

DAMN!
that's good pic man!...

Old January 13th 07, 06:11 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
Trying again with Astro this time.
___________________

Ok, I'll admit I've never heard it called that but that's the way it
came out in my photo. I've held off on this guy until my processing
skills had improved enough to give something with such a wide tonal
range a try. The usual way is to merge a short and long exposure. I'm
not there yet so used short H-alpha exposures for the L and even shorter
RGB frames. Not sure where the monkey came from however. He appears
happy enough however. (See the right side and warp your mind some.)

14" LX200R@f/10, H alpha=6x5' RGB=4x1' all binned 2x2, STL-11000M,
Paramount ME

Rick

Nice one. And you got the trapizium stars as well!

George

Old January 13th 07, 03:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Very nice M42 Rick. Can't see the monkey, but who knows, he might be
somewhere up there.

Stefan

Old January 13th 07, 06:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

He's on the right. Big, with his mouth wide open. Eyes nose and mouth
are "obvious" to my warped mind. Right side of the nebula is the left
side of his face. He is nearly upright, tilted only slightly so his
chin is to the right a bit. Some dark band sticks out his mouth like a
wide ice cream bar stick. His eyes and nose are bubbles blown by super
stars in the nebula. Not sure what made that wide gaping mouth.

Also several emailed me to say it is a chimp face and they are apes not
monkeys. I stand corrected. For Stefan and others who've written and
can't find it I posted a picture with the features marked.

Rick