It's official: Enterprise jumps the shark

Old October 13th 03, 04:53 AM
Pat Flannery

Default It's official: Enterprise jumps the shark

Scott Hedrick wrote:

Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow is a trademark of Dr Who.

Was I the only one waiting for one of the Zathras brothers to pull a
Sonic Screwdriver out of his temporal toolkit in "Babylon V"?
"No...no...never use one of these...no good... not work...."
(Shadow warrior flickers into view behind him with CO2 fire extinguisher)
Strange insect-like voice: "EX-TERM-I-NATE! EX-TERM-I-NATE!"
(Scene dissolves in white vapor).

Pat

Old October 13th 03, 05:15 AM
Pat Flannery

Joe Strout wrote:

Right, "non-player characters" -- the ones who are always first to die.
In classic Star Trek, every away team destined for anything dangerous
always contained at least one NPC, played by some actor you never saw
before and would never see again, because they're the one to get axed.

I think it was Richard Pryor (although I can't find this exact quote on
the web) who described this phenomena in Star Trek TOS; it went
something like this- "So they beam down to the planet, and there is a
brother with them you have never seen before, and you realize for the
first time that's there's more than one of us on the ship....and you
know full well what is going to happen to him.... ZAP!... and then Spock
turns to Kirk, and says: 'Captain, the alien has turned the ****** into
a cube.' "

Pat

Old October 13th 03, 05:29 AM
Pat Flannery

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

Hmm, actually I believe there was one red shirt on ST:TOS that DID come
back. Hard to say if it was as the same character. :-)

In the Negro/cube incident the white woman was the one that got turned
into a cube (actually it looked more like a dodecahedron) and
crushed....the black man got rehydrated and lived! This must make him a
member of one of the most exclusive groups in the galaxy, a red shirt
who went down to a planetary surface with James T. Kirk...and returned
alive! Not only that, but the episode taught an IMPORTANT MORAL LESSON;
When people are dehydrated into dodecahedrons, you can't tell the
difference between BLACK MEN and WHITE WOMEN! So we ARE ALL PRETTY MUCH
THE SAME IF YOU TAKE THE WATER OUT!
This explains the police's use of fire hoses in riot control during the
voting rights riots of the 1960's...there were trying to make sure that
none of the blacks were going to try and fool them into thinking they
were white people by turning themselves into dehydrated dodecahedrons!

Pat

Old October 13th 03, 05:38 AM
Ned Pike

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

Joe Strout wrote:

Right, "non-player characters" -- the ones who are always first to die.
In classic Star Trek, every away team destined for anything dangerous
always contained at least one NPC, played by some actor you never saw
before and would never see again, because they're the one to get axed.

I think it was Richard Pryor (although I can't find this exact quote on
the web) who described this phenomena in Star Trek TOS; it went
something like this- "So they beam down to the planet, and there is a
brother with them you have never seen before, and you realize for the
first time that's there's more than one of us on the ship....and you
know full well what is going to happen to him.... ZAP!... and then Spock
turns to Kirk, and says: 'Captain, the alien has turned the ****** into
a cube.' "

Pat

Don't forget, in this episode "By Any Other Name", the brother survived.
The Asian woman's potting foam block was crumbled into tiny bits.

Old October 13th 03, 05:47 AM
JazzMan

Pat Flannery wrote:

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

[...]

ROTFLMAO!!!

JazzMan
Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net.
Curse those darned bulk e-mailers!
Old October 13th 03, 02:17 PM
Dennis

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 19:20:06 -0400, "Terrell Miller"
wrote:

Missed last week's ep, turned yesterday's (title: Night Of The Living
Vulcans) off ten minutes into it. Will not be going back.

Now have another evening free each week, woohoo!

Too bad.....
It was pretty good along with the SFX.
Old October 13th 03, 02:30 PM
Terrell Miller

[...]

time to take another pill, Pat

--
Terrell Miller

"In the early days as often
as not the (rocket) exploded on or near the launch pad; that
seldom happens any longer."
-Columbia Accident Investigation Board report, vol.1 p.19