It's official: Enterprise jumps the shark

Old October 11th 03, 02:30 PM
JazzMan

Default It's official: Enterprise jumps the shark

John Savard wrote:

snip
But the Original Series had pretty awful episodes too... it is
remembered, though, for the good ones. So Enterprise is *not* beyond
redemption. Just a few good scripts, treated with respect...

Until they're willing to fire the writers they have now and
get some good ones in there to do the job, I hold no hope that
this series will make it past this year, thus ending the legacy
of Star Trek.

JazzMan
Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net.
Curse those darned bulk e-mailers!
Old October 12th 03, 04:39 AM
Joe Strout

In article ,
"Terrell Miller" wrote:

Missed last week's ep, turned yesterday's (title: Night Of The Living
Vulcans) off ten minutes into it. Will not be going back.

I think you all were just not in the spirit of it. I rather enjoyed it.
When it comes around on reruns, try watching it again, but this time
drink a bit of alcohol first and chant "Brains... Brains!" every time
the Vulcan zombies reach for our intrepid heroes.

My only disappointment was that T'Pol didn't kill the NPC... I was sure
she was going to, and after all, that's what NPCs are for.

It was infinitely better than the one where Reed fell *on a cometary
nucleus* and broke his ankle! *That* one just about ruined the whole
series for me. I mean, if your special FX budget doesn't allow for
realistic low-G movement, fine, I can forgive that. But don't make the
whole frickin' plot revolve around a gaffe so glaring any fifth-grader
could see through it! Now *that* one was just plain silly.

| Joseph J. Strout Check out the Mac Web Directory: |
| http://www.macwebdir.com |
Old October 12th 03, 07:20 AM
Alan Anderson

In article , Joe
Strout wrote:

In article ,
"Terrell Miller" wrote:

Missed last week's ep, turned yesterday's (title: Night Of The Living
Vulcans) off ten minutes into it. Will not be going back.

I think you all were just not in the spirit of it. I rather enjoyed it.
When it comes around on reruns, try watching it again, but this time
drink a bit of alcohol first and chant "Brains... Brains!" every time
the Vulcan zombies reach for our intrepid heroes.

I missed it completely, both on initial showing and weekend repeat. I
decided not to tape it, and to wait to see it in rerun *first*. :-)

My only disappointment was that T'Pol didn't kill the NPC... I was sure
she was going to, and after all, that's what NPCs are for.

Now my curiosity is piqued. The only "NPC" I'm aware of is a D&D term.

It was infinitely better than the one where Reed fell *on a cometary
nucleus* and broke his ankle! *That* one just about ruined the whole
series for me. I mean, if your special FX budget doesn't allow for
realistic low-G movement, fine, I can forgive that. But don't make the
whole frickin' plot revolve around a gaffe so glaring any fifth-grader
could see through it! Now *that* one was just plain silly.

I thought that substance they were drilling for was neutron-star dense,
giving high gravity at the surface of the comet near the drilling site.

By the way, someone mentioned that he thought the changes to the opening
theme made it worse. I disagree entirely. It is *much* improved from the
original. I think the remix with percussion makes it sound more like an
anthem than a folk song now.
Old October 12th 03, 01:50 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Alan Anderson" wrote in message
Now my curiosity is piqued. The only "NPC" I'm aware of is a D&D term.

The Target Redshirts are NPCs, since they won't be coming back. Like the one
character in "Galaxy Quest", who doesn't even have a name because he got
offed.

I think the remix with percussion makes it sound more like an
anthem than a folk song now.

My reaction is just the opposite. It sounds far too "folksy" now. What was
needed was something to make it darker, in the mood with the season. The
rest of the music is.

On the lighter side, it's nice to see that Enterprise isn't *entirely* PC-
after all, the quite female Cutler is still referred to as "Crew*man*
Cutler". Too bad her latest roll is The Pitts.
--
If you have had problems with Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC),
please contact shredder at bellsouth dot net. There may be a class-action

Old October 12th 03, 03:42 PM
Joann Evans

Joe Strout wrote:

In article ,
"Terrell Miller" wrote:

Missed last week's ep, turned yesterday's (title: Night Of The Living
Vulcans) off ten minutes into it. Will not be going back.

I think you all were just not in the spirit of it. I rather enjoyed it.
When it comes around on reruns, try watching it again, but this time
drink a bit of alcohol first and chant "Brains... Brains!" every time
the Vulcan zombies reach for our intrepid heroes.

And indeed it's hardly the first time in all of Star Trek, or even
just Enterprise, where we've see nome behavior-altering phenomenon that
preferentally affected, or didn't affect Vulcans. One might remember the
episode where everyone but T'Pol became obsesed with specific trivial
matters....

Actually, it was refreshing to find that those Vulcan crews subcummed
to something as mundane as a form of heavy-metal poisioning, rather than
something more exotic about the expanse. Both ships had no opprotunity
to report back that they were using a substance unknown to them (and
unknowingly toxic *to* themselves), to protect them from phenomena that
*were* exotic.

My only disappointment was that T'Pol didn't kill the NPC... I was sure
she was going to, and after all, that's what NPCs are for.

It was infinitely better than the one where Reed fell *on a cometary
nucleus* and broke his ankle! *That* one just about ruined the whole
series for me. I mean, if your special FX budget doesn't allow for
realistic low-G movement, fine, I can forgive that. But don't make the
whole frickin' plot revolve around a gaffe so glaring any fifth-grader
could see through it! Now *that* one was just plain silly.

At least Enterprise technology doesn't (yet) allow for 'runaway
holodeck' stories, thankfully....

--

You know what to remove, to reply....
Old October 12th 03, 05:46 PM
Pat Flannery

Alan Anderson wrote:

It was infinitely better than the one where Reed fell *on a cometary
nucleus* and broke his ankle! *That* one just about ruined the whole
series for me. I mean, if your special FX budget doesn't allow for
realistic low-G movement, fine, I can forgive that. But don't make the
whole frickin' plot revolve around a gaffe so glaring any fifth-grader
could see through it! Now *that* one was just plain silly.

I thought that substance they were drilling for was neutron-star dense,
giving high gravity at the surface of the comet near the drilling site.

Unfortunately the gravity well on a piece such a substance would be so
severe that standing above it your head would be almost weightless;
whereas your feet would weigh several hundred pounds; I don't think that
this is going to help blood flow at all...and the next question becomes
how exactly do you get anywhere near the substance without getting
compacted by its high gravity gradient? You get within a foot or two of
it, and you are going to end up being a part of it...a very small part
of it.
In fact, given the low density of a cometary nucleus, the whole nucleus
should have been collapsed by it.
Unless, of course there was...a...REVERSE TACHYON FIELD involved!

Pat

Old October 12th 03, 05:49 PM
Pat Flannery

Scott Hedrick wrote:

My reaction is just the opposite. It sounds far too "folksy" now. What was
needed was something to make it darker, in the mood with the season.

Is that a reference to the story lines, or the moribund future of the
series?

Pat

Old October 12th 03, 07:14 PM
Rand Simberg

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 11:46:23 -0500, in a place far, far away, Pat
Flannery made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

Unfortunately the gravity well on a piece such a substance would be so
severe that standing above it your head would be almost weightless;
whereas your feet would weigh several hundred pounds; I don't think that
this is going to help blood flow at all...and the next question becomes
how exactly do you get anywhere near the substance without getting
compacted by its high gravity gradient? You get within a foot or two of
it, and you are going to end up being a part of it...a very small part
of it.
In fact, given the low density of a cometary nucleus, the whole nucleus
should have been collapsed by it.
Unless, of course there was...a...REVERSE TACHYON FIELD involved!

Or reversing the polarity on the warp drive, or something. There's
nothing that can't be solved in Star Trek by reversing the polarity on
*something*. Though last time I tried it in my car, it fried my radio
and electronic ignition...

Old October 12th 03, 10:44 PM
Pat Flannery

Rand Simberg wrote:

Or reversing the polarity on the warp drive, or something. There's
nothing that can't be solved in Star Trek by reversing the polarity on
*something*. Though last time I tried it in my car, it fried my radio
and electronic ignition...

That's because you neglected to reverse the hydrogen flow through the
Bussard collectors on the carburetor first! Jeeze, any first year
warpfield/autorepair student knows that one! :-)

Pat