Space-X

Old February 22nd 10, 06:11 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

Default Space-X

I thought I recently saw on a TV show that Space-X has a launch facility on the
Florida coast just south of KSC. Is this true? Out of idle curiosity, I tried
finding it on Google Earth but couldn't. Is it a separate facility or on the
property of KSC and just one of the many launch pads you can see on Google
Earth? Thanks.
Old February 22nd 10, 06:31 PM posted to sci.space.history
Rick Jones[_3_]

wrote:
I thought I recently saw on a TV show that Space-X has a launch
facility on the Florida coast just south of KSC. Is this true? Out
of idle curiosity, I tried finding it on Google Earth but
couldn't. Is it a separate facility or on the property of KSC and
just one of the many launch pads you can see on Google Earth?
Thanks.

I suspect that somewhere on
www.spacex.com will be at least a press
release discussing their launch facility in Florida, where it is, what
it used to be etc etc.

rick jones
--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Old February 22nd 10, 06:33 PM posted to sci.space.history
Me

On Feb 22, 1:11*pm, wrote:
I thought I recently saw on a TV show that Space-X has a launch facility on the
Florida coast just south of KSC. Is this true? Out of idle curiosity, I tried
finding it on Google Earth but couldn't. Is it a separate facility or on the
property of KSC and just one of the many launch pads you can see on Google
Earth? Thanks.

It is on CCAFS and not KSC, They took over the Titan IV LC-40 pad.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...06968&t=h&z=18

The Google pic is old and still shows the Titan configuration
Old February 22nd 10, 09:35 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:33:45 -0800 (PST), Me wrote:

On Feb 22, 1:11*pm, wrote:
I thought I recently saw on a TV show that Space-X has a launch facility on the
Florida coast just south of KSC. Is this true? Out of idle curiosity, I tried
finding it on Google Earth but couldn't. Is it a separate facility or on the
property of KSC and just one of the many launch pads you can see on Google
Earth? Thanks.

It is on CCAFS and not KSC, They took over the Titan IV LC-40 pad.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...06968&t=h&z=18

The Google pic is old and still shows the Titan configuration

Thanks. I think I found it on Google Earth. Now this brings up another question.
What's the difference between KSC and Cape Canaveral? I thought Canaveral was
just the geographic location, or place name in Florida where the KSC is located.
Old February 22nd 10, 10:06 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

wrote:

On Feb 22, 1:11 pm, wrote:
[...]

Some of the area is controlled by NASA, but some is controlled by the Air
Force (i.e. Patrick AFB). Neither is synonymous with Cape Canaveral, which
is the "The Cape".

Try Google or Wikipedia. You'll find neat stuff like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Canaveral
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennedy_Space_Center
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_AFB

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/...sit/index.html
http://www.patrick.af.mil/library/factsheets/index.asp

Jeff
--
"Take heart amid the deepening gloom
that your dog is finally getting enough cheese" - Deteriorata - National

Old February 23rd 10, 03:25 AM posted to sci.space.history
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 16:35:34 -0500, wrote:

Thanks. I think I found it on Google Earth. Now this brings up another question.
What's the difference between KSC and Cape Canaveral? I thought Canaveral was
just the geographic location, or place name in Florida where the KSC is located.

Cape Canaveral is a geographic feature on the Florida east coast where
the Air Force established its Long Range Proving Ground in the early
1950s. It is separated from the mainland by the Banana River and the
Indian River, with Merritt Island between the two rivers. "Missile
Row" gantries and launch pads eventually occupied the shore northward
to an area called the False Cape where the shoreline began to merge
westward back to the Florida mainland. This area was designated Cape
Canaveral Air Force Station (briefly Cape Kennedy AFS). When NASA was
tasked with putting a man on the moon in 1961, it needed much more
land for the big Saturn rockets it needed for the job. After
considering launch sites elsewhere, NASA decided to establish its own
facilities on Merritt Island, with the launch pads on the coast at the
False Cape. After the assassination, this area was named John F.
Kennedy Space Center. The northernmost pad of Cape Canaveral Air Force
Station is technically on KSC property, but is operationally
controlled by the Air Force. The unoccupied land around KSC is
maintained by the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge and seaside
land NASA once planned for more launch pads is the Canaveral National
Seashore.

Brian