Pac boots

Old November 21st 09, 01:39 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
John Nichols

Default Pac boots

Where can I find Pac boots that are rated to -100 degrees F? My wife has
been doing a lot of searching but hasn't had any luck. We're basing this on
the recommendation The Ironman's Tips for Staying Comfortable While
Observing in Cold Weather, http://www.novac.com/resources/winter.php

Thanks!

Old November 21st 09, 02:27 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 20:39:50 -0500, "John Nichols"
wrote:

Where can I find Pac boots that are rated to -100 degrees F? My wife has
been doing a lot of searching but hasn't had any luck. We're basing this on
the recommendation The Ironman's Tips for Staying Comfortable While
Observing in Cold Weather, http://www.novac.com/resources/winter.php

You observe when it's -100°F? Wow! g

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old November 21st 09, 03:15 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Nov 20, 5:39*pm, "John Nichols" wrote:
Where can I find Pac boots that are rated to -100 degrees F? *My wife has
been doing a lot of searching but hasn't had any luck. *We're basing this on
the recommendation The Ironman's Tips for Staying Comfortable While
Observing in Cold Weather,http://www.novac.com/resources/winter.php

Thanks!

http://www.cabelas.com/pac-boots.shtml has many boots rated at -100 or
even -150...

I personally have Sorels, rated to -85, and my feet never get cold,
although the coldest I have ever experiences was +8 degrees F. I
bought them 3 sizes too big and wear multiple pairs of heavy wool
socks.

\Paul
Old November 21st 09, 04:11 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
John Nichols

wrote:

Where can I find Pac boots that are rated to -100 degrees F? My wife has
been doing a lot of searching but hasn't had any luck. We're basing this
on
the recommendation The Ironman's Tips for Staying Comfortable While
Observing in Cold Weather, http://www.novac.com/resources/winter.php

You observe when it's -100°F? Wow! g

In Cleveland in frequently gets into the low teens and lower during winter,
and if I go to our club's dark sky site I'll for darn sure be observing on
snow, both of which are the criteria for the -100 boots.

On a personal note, I have Reynaud's syndrome, which means that when I get
cold it burns and itches like hell, so I'm trying to prevent this, even if
it's overkill.

Old November 21st 09, 04:22 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

John Nichols wrote:

Where can I find Pac boots that are rated to -100 degrees F? My wife has
been doing a lot of searching but hasn't had any luck. We're basing this on
the recommendation The Ironman's Tips for Staying Comfortable While
Observing in Cold Weather, http://www.novac.com/resources/winter.php

I'm a bit pessimistic about cold-weather boots for astronomers. My
experience is that the warmest boots made are intended to be worn by
people who are moving around. A friend of mine who spent three winters
in Antarctica said he was amazed at how warm those white boots they
issue were in _extreme_ cold. If he stopped working or stopped walking
to catch his breath, he said, his feet would get cold in a very short
time. That has been my experience when working outside in the winter
and in ice skating in Pennsylvania as a teenager. Your feet were never
cold while skating, but stop for a bit and they would quickly go numb.

Anyway, I wish you luck, and if you find something, please report back!

Davoud

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old November 21st 09, 04:47 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
jerry warner[_26_]

John Nichols wrote:

Where can I find Pac boots that are rated to -100 degrees F? My wife has
been doing a lot of searching but hasn't had any luck. We're basing this on
the recommendation The Ironman's Tips for Staying Comfortable While
Observing in Cold Weather, http://www.novac.com/resources/winter.php

Thanks!

Do they make cat 'booties'? I need six sets.
Come spring I need forty sets.

Old November 21st 09, 05:18 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 23:11:58 -0500, "John Nichols"
wrote:

In Cleveland in frequently gets into the low teens and lower during winter,
and if I go to our club's dark sky site I'll for darn sure be observing on
snow, both of which are the criteria for the -100 boots.

I know, just kidding. Cold weather ratings are a bit of a scam; usually,
the rated temperature means the temperature at which you'll be utterly
miserable, but won't suffer permanent damage. If you want to actually be
comfortable, it's necessary to go for something designed for _much_
colder conditions.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old November 21st 09, 05:43 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
John Nichols

wrote:

In Cleveland in frequently gets into the low teens and lower during
winter,
and if I go to our club's dark sky site I'll for darn sure be observing on
snow, both of which are the criteria for the -100 boots.

I know, just kidding. Cold weather ratings are a bit of a scam; usually,
the rated temperature means the temperature at which you'll be utterly
miserable, but won't suffer permanent damage. If you want to actually be
comfortable, it's necessary to go for something designed for _much_
colder conditions.

I figured you were kidding, but I wanted to be sure. It's been a long day
and I'm tired.

Anyways, -40 would be good enough then? Any particular brand?

Old November 21st 09, 06:59 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 00:43:28 -0500, "John Nichols"
wrote:

I figured you were kidding, but I wanted to be sure. It's been a long day
and I'm tired.

Anyways, -40 would be good enough then? Any particular brand?

No doubt there are very good, fairly obscure boots out there. For
something pretty readily available, Sorels are a good choice. You can
fortify them with chemical toe warmers, or electrically heated insoles
(you plug them in to heat, and they hold the warmth for 4-6 hours). You
can also go oversize and wear two or three pairs of socks; just make
sure the ones closest to your skin are liners (usually thin polyester),
and that your feet still rattle around just a bit in the boots. Nothing
will make your feet get cold faster than a tight fit, which reduces your
circulation.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old November 21st 09, 11:50 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

wrote:

Where can I find Pac boots that are rated to -100 degrees F? My wife has
been doing a lot of searching but hasn't had any luck. We're basing this
on
the recommendation The Ironman's Tips for Staying Comfortable While
Observing in Cold Weather,http://www.novac.com/resources/winter.php

You observe when it's -100°F? Wow! g

In Cleveland in frequently gets into the low teens and lower during winter,
and if I go to our club's dark sky site I'll for darn sure be observing on
snow, both of which are the criteria for the -100 boots.

On a personal note, I have Reynaud's syndrome, which means that when I get
cold it burns and itches like hell, so I'm trying to prevent this, even if
it's overkill.

Much of the heat must be lost through conduction to the ground. When
walking your boots' soles spend less time in contact with the ground,
and there is increased heat generation by muscles. Does sitting down
on a chair with your feet off the ground help at all? Or maybe a
small insulated platform on which to stand? Or try Toasty Feet
Insoles? Also, make sure your head is well protected from the cold, a
large part of heat loss occurs there, and the body will compensate at
the expense of the extremities.

classic-cardy-ugg-boots d Amateur Astronomy 0 October 19th 09 09:20 AM
Proximity boots stephen Space Shuttle 0 March 18th 07 03:30 PM
Nubuck Leather Boots Scubaer History 1 August 9th 06 06:28 AM
Thermal boots Ed UK Astronomy 5 December 16th 05 10:00 PM
~ Boots, strapped...trapped! Twittering One Misc 0 January 19th 05 08:45 PM