U.S. wants boots on the Moon by 2024

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 2nd 19, 02:11 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default U.S. wants boots on the Moon by 2024

Jeff Findley wrote on Tue, 2 Apr 2019
07:08:32 -0400:

In article ,
says...
It surely could be solved, with enough money. The devil is in the
details though. I've been told Orion and its service module can't be
horizontally integrated. Doubly so for the monster of an escape tower
(which wouldn't be needed if you launch Orion uncrewed).

I still don't see the problem. You integrate it like every other
payload on Falcon Heavy; vertically on the center core.

No payloads have ever been integrated vertically on Falcon 9 or Falcon
Heavy. All of their launch sites have horizontal integration
facilities. The vehicle with payload attached is then (horizontally)
rolled out to the pad on a transporter-erector. At the pad, the vehicle
is put into the vertical position by the transporter-erector. They
chose to do things this way because it's faster and cheaper.

Ah. It just finally penetrated what you're actually talking about.
Why would Orion have to be done differently?

Sure, SpaceX likely could do vertical integration of the payload if
given money to develop the facilities necessary. But I've never heard
anything coming out of SpaceX or even Elon Musk (Tweets) that says
they're going to do this.

And I see no reason why they would have to.

territory."
--G. Behn

ISS mission extended to 2024 Greg \(Strider\) Moore Space Station 7 January 13th 14 12:27 PM
Pac boots John Nichols Amateur Astronomy 11 November 21st 09 04:38 PM
ASTRO: NGC 2024, the Flame Nebula in Orion George Normandin[_1_] Astro Pictures 6 April 14th 08 04:56 PM
Proximity boots stephen Space Shuttle 0 March 18th 07 03:30 PM
Thermal boots Ed UK Astronomy 5 December 16th 05 10:00 PM