Moonshot - History Channel - July 20 at 9pm/8C.

Old July 20th 09, 04:28 AM posted to sci.space.history
CCBlack

Default Moonshot - History Channel - July 20 at 9pm/8C.

Just wanted to give a ' heads up ' about this new two hour special on
the History Channel.

http://www.history.com/genericContent.do?id=71504

No this isn't a re-run of the 1994 ' Moonshot '.

Also ... about 30 minutes before this new Moonshot airs ... they are
going to run " live from '69: Moon landing " ... ( Original News
coverage of the first lunar landing ).

Chris
Old July 20th 09, 11:17 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Jul 20, 12:30*am, OM wrote:
On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 20:28:17 -0700 (PDT), CCBlack

wrote:
Just wanted to give a ' heads up ' about this new two hour special on
the History Channel.

http://www.history.com/genericContent.do?id=71504

No this isn't a re-run of the 1994 ' Moonshot '.

...Depending on who you talk to, it's either a serious documentary, or
another one of those bull**** UFO fauxumentaries where they try to
claim A11 was followed by a UFO.

Also ... about 30 minutes before this new Moonshot airs ... they are
going to run " live from '69: Moon landing " ... ( Original News
coverage of the first lunar landing ).

...Previously reported, and currently ****ing a lot of people off.
This was originally listed as a 4-hour replay of all of See-BS'
coverage of the A11 EVA. No reason given for the change to the
30-minute special, although some have theorized it may have something
to do with Unca Walter's passing. If that's the case, it's a pretty
fracked reason, because I can't think of a better way to honor him
than to play uncut, uncensored, unedited, his Magnum Opus.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *OM

--

* ]=====================================[
* ] * OMBlog -http://www.io.com/~o_m/omworld* [

In case anyone missed this, I have enclosed a link to a youtube video
of the last few minutes of the CBS Apollo 11 moon landing coverage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_sWmD6NvMY

Old July 21st 09, 02:10 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jud McCranie[_2_]

wrote:

Just wanted to give a ' heads up ' about this new two hour special on
the History Channel.

http://www.history.com/genericContent.do?id=71504

I didn't know that Gemini used the same countdown process as the
Saturn V. I didn't know that a Gemini/Titan exploded 7 seconds after
liftoff either. ...
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Old July 21st 09, 05:47 AM posted to sci.space.history
Stuf4

From Jud McCranie:

wrote:
Just wanted to give a ' heads up ' about this new two hour special on
the History Channel.

http://www.history.com/genericContent.do?id=71504

I didn't know that Gemini used the same countdown process as the
Saturn V. I didn't know that a Gemini/Titan exploded 7 seconds after
liftoff either. ...

What an excellent blend of historic footage with interpreted dramatic
acting! One scene that floored me was from the lunar surface where
they blended Armstrong's vox'd transmission with the actors voice at
about a 50/50 mix, so you could feel like you were right there. With
visuals of facial expressions and all. There was a lot of artistic
license that struck me as unrealistic, typically overplayed emotions
by the astronauts, but not as egregious as in RonH's Apollo 13.

Overall I was thoroughly impressed with this production. Particularly
the casting of Neil and Buzz, capturing some key aspects of their
mannerisms as well as physical appearance.

~ CT
Old July 21st 09, 11:56 AM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 21:47:37 -0700 (PDT), Stuf4
wrote:

What an excellent blend of historic footage with interpreted dramatic
acting! One scene that floored me was from the lunar surface where
they blended Armstrong's vox'd transmission with the actors voice at
about a 50/50 mix, so you could feel like you were right there. With
visuals of facial expressions and all. There was a lot of artistic
license that struck me as unrealistic, typically overplayed emotions
by the astronauts, but not as egregious as in RonH's Apollo 13.

Overall I was thoroughly impressed with this production. Particularly
the casting of Neil and Buzz, capturing some key aspects of their
mannerisms as well as physical appearance.

~ CT

I was a little startled to see James Marsters as Buzz, however he did
an excellent job of hiding his English accent.
So did they really see something reflecting sunlight at them and if so
was it ever figure out what it might have been ..... shroud panel
still following along or Soviet lander?
Old July 23rd 09, 03:54 AM posted to sci.space.history
Stuf4

From Jud McCranie:

wrote:
Just wanted to give a ' heads up ' about this new two hour special on
the History Channel.

http://www.history.com/genericContent.do?id=71504

I didn't know that Gemini used the same countdown process as the
Saturn V. I didn't know that a Gemini/Titan exploded 7 seconds after
liftoff either. ...

Oh, and if we're going to slam them for inaccuracies, you gotta call
them on that scene where they throw out two NFL teams and say 'the
Dolphins' and 'the Cowboys'. ...as if anybody cared about the
Dolphins or the Cowboys in 1969!

*

I'm lovin all the excitement happening around JSC this week. I got to
meet freakin George Mueller today. He's ancient, but seemed to be in
good health with his mind still sharp as a tack. I also got to meet
other Apollo superstars, including Jack Garman. He told me that he
still has his old handwritten reminder note of what the program alarms
mean. I wanted to ask him if he intended to donate it to the
Smithsonian, but I figure when the time is right he will get that
little historical artifact to a place where the public will get to
view it.

~ CT
Old July 23rd 09, 03:59 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jud McCranie[_2_]

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 19:54:39 -0700 (PDT), Stuf4
wrote:

I'm lovin all the excitement happening around JSC this week.

It seems to me that this anniversary was more recognized than any
other.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Old July 25th 09, 06:15 AM posted to sci.space.history
Stuf4

From Jud McCranie:

wrote:
I'm lovin all the excitement happening around JSC this week.

It seems to me that this anniversary was more recognized than any
other.

Another excellent evening to cap off the 40th anniversary with
tonight's splashdown party. Charlie Bolden spoke at JSC with his
former Annapolis classmate, Mike Coats. Bolden was surprisingly
emotional, moved nearly to tears at four or five moments. Strange.
Hard to imagine him as a fighter pilot like that, let alone shuttle
commander. (Or NASA Administrator?) I've seen him speak a few times,
but that was the most odd. And he didn't have much for cheery NASA
news to share. He painted a bleak picture about funding, purpose and
direction. And he shared a lesson from his old commander: "Hoot's
Law - No matter how bad things are, there is always something you can
do to make it worse." ...and Bolden's message was that the situation
at NASA is bad, but we must be careful to not make it any worse.

But today was a glorious day overall. The highlight was seeing Neil,
Buzz, Gene, Chris Kraft, etc at the Space Center Houston Splashdown
Party. Hopefully the video will be posted for anyone to watch. I
can't recall any comments right now that stick out to me as anything
we haven't heard before, but there was a tremendous sense of history
to it.

It would be nice to be at the Hornet for those celebrations tomorrow.
I'll be looking for those videos.

~ CT
Old July 25th 09, 05:27 PM posted to sci.space.history
CCBlack

From Jud McCranie:

wrote:
[...]

Ditto a lot of your impressions about this ' Moonshot '.

I had to work all this week ... and just got around to watching it on
my DVR last night.

I was expecting a more documentary type of show ... but it was more
like mini-movie ... ' From the Earth to the Moon ' style.

But a bit more on the ' soap-opera ' side.

There were parts that were good, parts that were bad ... and parts
that were just down right goofy. Such as the space suit ' costumes '
for the moonwalk part.

And the blend of real NASA 16mm into the time-line of events was
confusing at times.

The ' UFO ' sighting part was weird. I get the feeling the producers
of this show put that it to peek the interest of the ' ufologist ' out
there.

I think the part where the real dramatic license came into play was
the part where Buzz discovered the broken engine-arm circuit breaker.

In this show they portray the engine-arm circuit as a ' toggle-switch
' on a panel just in front of, and next to Neil.

But in fact wasn't the engine-arm circuit breaker an actual ' push in-
out ' type circuit breaker up on the wall to the right of Aldrin ?
Like this ? :

http://history.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/a11sur20.gif

And for the real lift-off of Eagle from the moon ... Buzz just pushed
in the circuit breaker with the felt tip pen ... and once it was ' in
' ... it was in.

The pen wasn't used to toggle a switch for liftoff as portrayed in
this production.

Have I got that right ?

Chris
Old July 25th 09, 06:15 PM posted to sci.space.history
CCBlack

Stuf4 wrote:
Oh, and if we're going to slam them for inaccuracies, you gotta call
them on that scene where they throw out two NFL teams and say 'the
Dolphins' and 'the Cowboys'. *...as if anybody cared about the
Dolphins or the Cowboys in 1969!

Hey ... the Cowboys had a pretty good year in 1968. Their record was
12-2-0.

They lost out to the Browns ... who then lost to the Colts.

The Colts went on to play the Jets in the first " Super-bowl " game on
January 12, 1969. This game is regarded as one of the greatest upsets
in sports history.

Put in perspective ... the Jets had a 11-3 regular season record.

But hey ... I'm a little biased in my view ... IM FROM DALLAS.

=]

Chris