Apollo 1 DVD from Spacecraft Films

Old May 2nd 07, 03:56 AM posted to sci.space.history
Stan Marsh

Default Apollo 1 DVD from Spacecraft Films

FYI, the Apollo 1 DVD was released last week, about 4.5 hours of material.
Definitely up to Spacecraft Films standards and highly recommended. $19.99
on Amazon.com.

I was very surprised that the cockpit audio (up to and including the fire)
was included. The producer noted that he had no idea that the audio was
available to the public, with no restrictions. It's kind of uncomfortable
to listen to (an edited version is also included), but it is striking how
quickly it all happened (mercifully).

Chris Kraft, and many others, opined that we would not have gotten to the
moon without the sacrifice of the Apollo 1 crew. I agree; your thoughts?...

Old May 2nd 07, 11:11 AM posted to sci.space.history
Richard F. Drushel

Stan Marsh wrote:

: I was very surprised that the cockpit audio (up to and including the fire)
: was included. The producer noted that he had no idea that the audio was
: available to the public, with no restrictions.

That's very interesting, since in the Apollo 204 Board report
materials, they went to great lengths to insure that almost nobody could
ever hear that bit of audio...dupe tapes had to have that segment erased,
and IIRC only Dr. Thompson (Board chairman) himself could authorize playing
it back. NASA must have relented at some point, or the Board's mandate
expired, or something. I think it's in Appendix A, or in the list of Board
directives.

http://drushel.cwru.edu/apollo204/

So does the enhanced audio allow final resolution on exactly what
was said, and by whom? It was very debatable back in 1967.

*Rich*

--
Richard F. Drushel, Ph.D. | "They fell: for Heaven to them no hope
Instructor and Executive Officer | imparts / Who hear not for the beating
Old May 2nd 07, 04:54 PM posted to sci.space.history
Stan Marsh

"Richard F. Drushel" wrote in message

So does the enhanced audio allow final resolution on exactly what
was said, and by whom? It was very debatable back in 1967.

Not sure if the (30 minutes of) audio is enhanced in any way, but it's
pretty clear what is being said, and who is speaking, for the most part.
The voices of the astronauts are each pretty distinctive, especially
Grissom. The final couple of transmissions are pretty badly garbled, appear
to be either White or Chaffee.

Old May 10th 07, 04:13 AM posted to sci.space.history
Terrell Miller

"Richard F. Drushel" wrote in message

So does the enhanced audio allow final resolution on exactly what
was said, and by whom? It was very debatable back in 1967.

After listening to it, I think it's fair to say that was just a little
humanitarian white lie to try and dissuade people from getting a copy. Make
people think you really can't hear much and maybe they'll forget about the
tape.

It's very clear and very gruesome. I've read descriptions of Chaffee's last
transmission as a "brief cry of pain". It's not. It's only the first few
seconds (the part that got recorded) of his screaming in primal terror. I'm
really thankful that the last fifteen seconds before they would have lost
consciousness were *not* recorded. It would have only been a lot worse.

--
Terrell Miller

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the
work of one extraordinary man."
- Elbert Hubbard

Old May 11th 07, 04:03 AM posted to sci.space.history
Terrell Miller

"Terrell Miller" wrote in message

I'm really thankful that the last fifteen seconds before they would have
lost consciousness were *not* recorded. It would have only been a lot
worse.

....adn let me add that I would have been even more grateful if the crew
hadn't had to go through the entire ordeal, let alone those last fifteen
seconds. My wording earlier sounded a little callous, sorry about that.