A Space & astronomy forum. SpaceBanter.com

Go Back   Home » SpaceBanter.com forum » Others » Astro Pictures
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

ASTRO: M95/M96 from La Palma

Old July 1st 17, 07:22 PM

First recorded activity by SpaceBanter: Aug 2008
Default ASTRO: M95/M96 from La Palma

M95 and M96 are of course well accessible from Germany, but I needed something to fill a time gap before I could image galaxies in Virgo when I was at Athos/La Palma last February/March.

This couple was a nice fit for the field of view I had at 800mm focal length.

Taken from Athos/La Palma with a Pentax 125 SDP plus ASI 1600MM cool camera on an AZ-EQ6 mount, 27x5 min Lum, 13x5 min R, 12x5min G and 12x5min B.
I scaled the image down to 1,2 arcseconds/pixel because seeing was not good in one of the imaging nights.

The image is slightly too large for spacebanter, so I'll just post the link:
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp11/M95M96kleingut.jpg

Stefan
Old July 1st 17, 08:47 PM

First recorded activity by SpaceBanter: Feb 2008

Nice job of pulling out the triple core of M95. I find that core odd in that at our resolution it appears to have three bright regions in a circle about a dark center. But this is somehow an illusion due to our resolution. I've attached an image taken with the Isaac Newton Telescope (near where you took your picture) that shows better detail of the core we miss.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slilge View Post
M95 and M96 are of course well accessible from Germany, but I needed something to fill a time gap before I could image galaxies in Virgo when I was at Athos/La Palma last February/March.

This couple was a nice fit for the field of view I had at 800mm focal length.

Taken from Athos/La Palma with a Pentax 125 SDP plus ASI 1600MM cool camera on an AZ-EQ6 mount, 27x5 min Lum, 13x5 min R, 12x5min G and 12x5min B.
I scaled the image down to 1,2 arcseconds/pixel because seeing was not good in one of the imaging nights.

The image is slightly too large for spacebanter, so I'll just post the link:
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp11/M95M96kleingut.jpg

Stefan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IsaacNewton_M95.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	6615