NASA's long-running 'Cover Story' Comes to an End!

Old February 5th 10, 05:20 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.politics,sci.space.shuttle
Ramon F Herrera

Default NASA's long-running 'Cover Story' Comes to an End!

The question is not whether we explore or not - we always will.

The question is when.

What's the rush? After all, it is not like the moon and Mars are going
anywhere. Last time I checked, they have no plans to relocate or
disappear.

-Ramon

Old February 5th 10, 05:51 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.politics,sci.space.shuttle
Ramon F Herrera

On Feb 5, 10:26*am, Fred J. McCall wrote:
Ramon F Herrera wrote:

:
:The question is not whether we explore or not - we always will.
:
:The question is when.
:
:What's the rush? After all, it is not like the moon and Mars are going
:anywhere. Last time I checked, they have no plans to relocate or
:disappear.
:

And the answer becomes 'never', because 'later' is always good
enough...

*man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore,
*all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * --George Bernard Shaw

Scenario: Chris Columbus never persuaded Isabella to finance his trip.
Result from your reasoning: here we are, in the 21st. century and the
new continent remains to be discovered.

-Ramon

Old February 5th 10, 08:00 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.politics,sci.space.shuttle
Jeff Findley

"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
Ramon F Herrera wrote:

:
:The question is not whether we explore or not - we always will.
:
:The question is when.
:
:What's the rush? After all, it is not like the moon and Mars are going
:anywhere. Last time I checked, they have no plans to relocate or
:disappear.
:

And the answer becomes 'never', because 'later' is always good
enough...

The key is to create a program which can fit within NASA's budget. Ares
broke the budget. A big HLV is always going to cost a lot to own and
operate because the flight rate is so pitifully low. The key is to enable
big missions with existing vehicles. We shouldn't have to keep throwing
away all of our current launch vehicle assets every time a new mission is
proposed. Saturn V was a dead end. Shuttle was a dead end. I believe Ares
I and Ares V would have been yet another dead end. It's time to stop going
down dead ends.

Jeff
--
"Take heart amid the deepening gloom
that your dog is finally getting enough cheese" - Deteriorata - National

Old February 5th 10, 08:08 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.politics,sci.space.shuttle
Pat Flannery

Ramon F Herrera wrote:

What's the rush? After all, it is not like the moon and Mars are going
anywhere. Last time I checked, they have no plans to relocate or
disappear.

On the other hand, Alpha Centauri may ram Earth:
http://www.scifimoviepage.com/upcomi...de-remake.html

Pat

Old February 5th 10, 08:13 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.politics,sci.space.shuttle
Pat Flannery

Ramon F Herrera wrote:
Scenario: Chris Columbus never persuaded Isabella to finance his trip.
Result from your reasoning: here we are, in the 21st. century and the
new continent remains to be discovered.

Or, here we are in the 21st. century sacrificing the Indians to Odin:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leif_Ericson

Pat
Old February 5th 10, 08:15 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.politics,sci.space.shuttle
Bob Myers

Pat Flannery wrote:
Ramon F Herrera wrote:

What's the rush? After all, it is not like the moon and Mars are
going anywhere. Last time I checked, they have no plans to relocate
or disappear.

On the other hand, Alpha Centauri may ram Earth:
http://www.scifimoviepage.com/upcomi...de-remake.html

Oh, good; I fondly remember the 1951 original, although it
certainly wasn't up to the level of, say, the original
"The Day The Earth Stood Still." But I'll be looking
forward to this remake.

Bob M.

Old February 5th 10, 11:55 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.politics,sci.space.shuttle
bob haller safety advocate

The key is to create a program which can fit within NASA's budget. �Ares
broke the budget. �A big HLV is always going to cost a lot to own and
operate because the flight rate is so pitifully low. �The key is to enable
big missions with existing vehicles. �We shouldn't have to keep throwing
away all of our current launch vehicle assets every time a new mission is
proposed. �Saturn V was a dead end. �Shuttle was a dead end. �I believe Ares
I and Ares V would have been yet another dead end. �It's time to stop going
down dead ends.

Jeff
--

Thats why NASA SHOULD of selected at the time of columbias loss using
delta and atlas heavies for launching, using 2 seperate existing

Of course NASA wanted to pay off existing shuttle contractors, and
ares was born.

NASA got what it deserved! Pick a bad design, lose that portion of
your agency
Old February 6th 10, 02:44 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.politics,sci.space.shuttle
jonathan

"Ramon F Herrera" wrote in message

The question is not whether we explore or not - we always will.

The question is when.

When we get far lower cost to orbit I would think.
But just that as a goal won't cut it, since the
benefits are indirect, it's a much harder sell.
Lower cost to orbit needs to be within a larger
goal, one where the benefits are direct and easy
to see. Which is another reason why I go on and on
about Space Solar Power.

Old February 6th 10, 03:08 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.politics,sci.space.shuttle
Matt Wiser

On Feb 5, 8:20*am, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
The question is not whether we explore or not - we always will.

The question is when.

What's the rush? After all, it is not like the moon and Mars are going
anywhere. Last time I checked, they have no plans to relocate or
disappear.

-Ramon

The sooner the better. Especially for those who weren't around for
Apollo or were just too young.
Old February 6th 10, 03:14 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.politics,sci.space.shuttle
Pat Flannery

Bob Myers wrote:

Oh, good; I fondly remember the 1951 original, although it
certainly wasn't up to the level of, say, the original
"The Day The Earth Stood Still." But I'll be looking
forward to this remake.

I'm keen to see how they explain Alpha Centauri heading our way at a
speed that would get it here within any reasonable timeframe.
(Sign at the Ark construction site: "Only 296,734,538 days to Alpha
Centauri! Waste anything but time!")
Do you think it would be in poor taste to show up at the premiere in a
wheel chair and start yelling at the audience that you are richer than
all of them put together and you hope they all get burned to death when
Earth is destroyed, for there is no room for the filthy poor on the new
planet?

Pat