.. What if Tom Hanks filmed the...Future...of NASA instead of it's past?

Old June 22nd 08, 02:03 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.philosophy,alt.journalism
[email protected]

Default .. What if Tom Hanks filmed the...Future...of NASA instead ofit's past?

On Jun 21, 5:12Â*pm, C3 wrote:
On Jun 21, 9:19�am, "jonathan" wrote:

What future would he write? Or would you?

A future based on what is likely to occur
based on current facts and trends?

Or a futureNASA..should...have in an
otherwise perfect world?

I know what I would write. It would be a future
whereNASAplays the central role in fulfilling
the promise of space. Which I believe is taking
the human race to the next level of understanding
ability to survive, and prosperity.

ThatNASAshould become the vehicle for creating
...Truth and Justice...for the future of the entire planet
and be an ever growing source of inspiration across
space and time.

Would such a movie include a Space Program like this?
Which President Bush canceled his first year in office?

A program which conceivably could end our dependence
on fossil fuels thus solving global warming. Perhaps the
two largest global future threats?

"NASA'SSPACE SOLAR POWER EXPLORATORY
RESEARCH AND TECHNOLOGY PROGRAM (SERT)"

While making America the next energy "Saudi Arabia"
for the future?

"The National Aeronautics and Space Administration's Space
Solar Power (SSP) �Exploratory Research and Technology
(SERT) program was charged to develop �technologies
needed to provide cost-competitive ground baseload electrical
power from space-based solar energy converters."http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10202&page=1

Statement of John C. Mankins
Manager, Advanced Concepts Studies
Office of Space Flight
September 7, 2000

Mr. Chairman and Members of the Subcommittee,

"NASAhas examined the viability of large-scale space solar power
(SSP) systems through a series of studies and preliminary technology
research activities."

"Very briefly, our results and findings to date can be summarized as follows:"

"a. �Large-scale SSP is a very complex integrated system of systems that
� � �requires numerous significant advances in current technology
� � �and capabilities

�b. � A technology roadmap has been developed that lays out potential paths
� � � �for achieving all needed advances"

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/legaff/mankins9-7.html

I believe the goal ofNASAshould be to replace fossil fuels
with Space Solar Power, and accomplish this before the
oil runs out, or global warming becomes irreversible.

Whichever comes first~

Jonathan

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and
� � do the other things, not because they are easy, but
� �because they are hard, because that goal will serve
� � �to organize and measure the best of our energies
� � and skills, because that challenge is one that we
� � � are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to
� � �postpone, and one which we intend to win...."

� � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � �-JFK

The first step would be to colonize Mars. Â*McCain has talked about
sending a shuttle to Mars. Â*Then we would mine the Universe for its
vast riches and explore more planets. Â*We certainly Â*have the
technology to do this, it's just a matter of logistics.

We know. And McCain knows so little about logistics, that's
why logic, A.I,, nanotech, GPS, Internet, robots, masers,
lasers, drones, and GTV were invented,

C3- Hide quoted text -

Old June 22nd 08, 03:10 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.philosophy,alt.journalism
Pat Flannery

C3 wrote:
The first step would be to colonize Mars. McCain has talked about
sending a shuttle to Mars.

Then McCain knows even less about the Shuttle than he does about computers.
Not only would a Shuttle not have enough food or energy aboard to make
such a voyage even if you could get it up to the velocity needed to
reach Mars, but on arrival it would fall out of the sky like a rock in
the thin atmosphere. :-)

Pat

Old June 22nd 08, 04:05 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.philosophy,alt.journalism
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:10:53 -0500, in a place far, far away, Pat
Flannery made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

C3 wrote:
The first step would be to colonize Mars. McCain has talked about
sending a shuttle to Mars.

Then McCain knows even less about the Shuttle than he does about computers.

Which is why he hadn't actually talked about that.
Old June 22nd 08, 06:36 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.philosophy,alt.journalism
Dave Michelson

Pat Flannery wrote:

C3 wrote:
The first step would be to colonize Mars. McCain has talked about
sending a shuttle to Mars.

Then McCain knows even less about the Shuttle than he does about computers.

Shame on you Pat! Giving credence to such a distortion.

Hint: In order to maintain a strong U.S. presence in space, McCain
supports: (1) extension of the shuttle program past 2010, (2) a manned
mission to Mars and (3) more funding to support the above.

--
Dave Michelson

Old June 22nd 08, 07:20 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.philosophy,alt.journalism
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 17:36:49 GMT, in a place far, far away, Dave
Michelson made the phosphor on my monitor glow in

Pat Flannery wrote:

C3 wrote:
The first step would be to colonize Mars. McCain has talked about
sending a shuttle to Mars.

Then McCain knows even less about the Shuttle than he does about computers.

Shame on you Pat! Giving credence to such a distortion.

Pat is always happy to believe (and, if necessary, fantasize) the
worst of any Republican, even a RINO like McCain. Fortunately,
though, it's not possible for him to "give credence" to much of
anything.
Old June 22nd 08, 08:06 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.philosophy,alt.journalism
Fred J. McCall

Pat Flannery wrote:
:
:C3 wrote:
: The first step would be to colonize Mars. McCain has talked about
: sending a shuttle to Mars.
:
:Then McCain knows even less about the Shuttle than he does about computers.
:Not only would a Shuttle not have enough food or energy aboard to make
:such a voyage even if you could get it up to the velocity needed to
:reach Mars, but on arrival it would fall out of the sky like a rock in
:the thin atmosphere. :-)
:

Rather than simply believing the initial statement, I don't think it
would be unreasonable to ask C3 for a cite to said statement.

--
"False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the
soul with evil."
Old June 22nd 08, 08:14 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.philosophy,alt.journalism
jonathan[_3_]

"BradGuth" wrote in message

If the future is having to be entirely based upon sustaining the lies
upon lies of the past, what's the point (other than bad science
fiction)?

Oh no, with complexity science it becomes quite straight
forward to imagine the ideal future. The reason is just
a wonderful discovery of the new mathematics.

What complexity science has done is give us an abstract
mathematical model of the ideal evolutionary or Darwinian
system. Called the Complex Adaptive System. (CAS)

This is the idealized template or perfect form that any
evolving system might attain. A perfect form with which
to compare any actual system against.

So, you see don't you. A complexity scientist has the
CORRECT FUTURE or answer...in hand...in advance
... for any real world problem at all. The only imagination
needed is in how to draw a path from here to there.

An objective frame leads to seeing only how bad things
are, and how difficult they are to fix. A complexity
view leads to a wonderful optimism as we can see
exactly what needs to be done to begin moving
towards perfection. Since perfection is no longer
some pipe-dream, but a mathematical model.

Complex Adaptive Systems - Webs of Delight
http://www.calresco.org/lucas/cas.htm

Imagining the ideal future becomes a matter of grunt
work, just like designing the perfect business plan
based on the same concept. Or the perfect diet, or
stock chart etc etc.

Nature has already shown us the system with the
greatest potential for creation, beauty and wisdom.
We must simply apply that perfect solution to every
problem we face.

How can one recognize perfection once it sets in???
That's even easier, just look for the emergence of
power law dynamics or 'critical' behavior.

Power Law

"Power-law relations characterize a staggering number
of natural patterns"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_law

Which is a system persistently poised at it's phase
transition state. Such as water just at the boiling
point, but not quite, or a cloud at the transition
point between evaporation and condensation.

Poised at a state where the forces for order and
disorder are equal partners, so one can't tell
which dominates.

Or biological evolution where neither genetics
or mutation dominates.

Or a universe where neither gravity or cosmic expansion
wins.

Such as a society poised between being dominated
by the rule of law, or freedom.

Or a ...future ...where our imagination is not limited
by our resources. They must be co-equal for
the future to evolve towards perfection.

The path to a perfect future lies in finding an
unending stream of clean energy. And in
the spread of world-wide democracy.

Which is why I go on and on about the opportunity
for democratic change during the Beijing Oympics
and SSP.

A program which conceivably could end our dependence
on fossil fuels thus solving global warming. Perhaps the
two largest future threats?
[...]

I believe China should become democratic.

Those two things and the perfect future becomes
almost inevitable. Both are ...right now...within
our grasp. We are so close, a little push with both
issues in the right direction could do the trick

BradGuth

Old June 23rd 08, 01:52 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.philosophy,alt.journalism
Joseph Nebus

"jonathan" writes:

What future would he write? Or would you?

A future based on what is likely to occur
based on current facts and trends?

Or a future NASA ..should...have in an
otherwise perfect world?

That's an excellent idea, since if there's one thing which has
been missing from space proponents it's been big expansive visions of
how truly excellent it would be to have lots of stuff going into space
whether we're ready for them or not.

--
Joseph Nebus
Old June 23rd 08, 02:26 AM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Jones

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:10:53 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

C3 wrote:
The first step would be to colonize Mars. McCain has talked about
sending a shuttle to Mars.

Then McCain knows even less about the Shuttle than he does about computers.
Not only would a Shuttle not have enough food or energy aboard to make
such a voyage even if you could get it up to the velocity needed to
reach Mars, but on arrival it would fall out of the sky like a rock in
the thin atmosphere. :-)

Pat

Speaking of McCain and energy (or not)... When he gets right down to
Earth, 100 new nuclear powere plants sounds OK. but where exactly is
he going to put even the first 44 new nuclear power plants? Where is
his "credence". It's all just unfunded pie in the sky.

Alan

Old June 23rd 08, 04:42 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 01:26:22 GMT, Alan Jones
wrote:

Speaking of McCain and energy (or not)... When he gets right down to
Earth, 100 new nuclear powere plants sounds OK. but where exactly is
he going to put even the first 44 new nuclear power plants?

....I can think of a few places. Harlem. Gary, East St. Louis, Compton,
and at least three in Philadelphia.

OM
--
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [