50 years ago today.

Old October 4th 07, 08:31 PM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
Bruce Watson

Default 50 years ago today.

Sputnik I was launched on Friday, October 4, 1957 but it wasn't
until Monday morning until I heard about it. There was no
way for me to listen to the signal and I didn't think it was
possible to see the thing small as it was and so far
away. Rumor had it the local newspapers were publishing
instructions on when and where to look but I never
saw any such predictions.

People say they saw it but they were probably observing
the much brighter rocket body.

I didn't get to see Sputnik I or II but I did observe
Sputnik III rocket body as a member of my high school
Moonwatch team.