"Space Reporter" Christopher Glenn, R.I.P.

Old October 21st 06, 05:26 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jim Burns

Default "Space Reporter" Christopher Glenn, R.I.P.

Many had the space program first explained to them, by Christopher
Glenn, hosting CBS' terrific IN THE NEWS segments, between cartoons, on
Saturday morning.... But I hadn't realized that he later became one of
the network's space correspondents....
______

Glenn: A legend leaves
a legacy at CBS News
By DAVID HINCKLEY
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Christopher Glenn died at 68. The genius of the late Christopher Glenn,
to his boss at CBS News, was clarity.
Whether he was explaining complex issues to 8-year-olds on the Saturday
morning TV short "In the News" or breaking down the space program for
grownups on the CBS "World News Roundup," Glenn distilled information so
his audience understood.
It's the goal of all journalists and the achievement of some. "Chris was
a legend, though he never perceived himself to be," said Harvey Nagler,
vice president of CBS News/Radio, where Glenn worked until his
retirement in February. "He was a meticulous writer." Glenn, who died
Tuesday at Norwalk (Conn.) Hospital of liver cancer at 68, also had a
distinctive soothing baritone that became a signature voice of modern
radio and TV news.
His colleagues in a subdued newsroom yesterday remembered his skills as
a reporter and anchor, going back to WICC in Bridgeport, Conn., and then
Metromedia and WNEW radio in the '60s.
He joined CBS in March 1971 and, six months later, launched "In the
News," which ran between Saturday morning cartoons on CBS-TV and
explained issues like President Richard Nixon's resignation to a preteen
audience.
"I'm one of the tens of millions of American thirty- and fortysomethings
whose first memories of news and current events are of Christopher
Glenn," said Paul Farry, who grew up to produce Glenn on "World News
Roundup" the last four years.
In the grownup world, Glenn was on the air Jan. 28, 1986, when
Challenger blew up.
"This flight, which was to have been such a bright chapter in the
history of manned flight, turning in the flash of an instant into a
terrible, terrible tragedy," he said.
"He was proud of his coverage of the space program," said Nagler. "But
he didn't show it. He was quiet. Other reporters were honored just to be
in his presence."
Among many awards, Glenn and Farry won the Radio and Television News
Directors' Edward R. Murrow Award the last two years. Glenn will also be
inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame on Nov. 4. "He always seemed
shocked when I told him he'd won another award," said Nagler. "I don't
think he knew the influence he had on all of us."

Originally published on October 19, 2006

© 2006 Daily News, L.P.

"Space Reporter" Christopher Glenn, R.I.P. Jim Burns Policy 0 October 21st 06 05:27 PM
Former astronaut, senator Glenn hurt in car crash Jim Oberg Space Shuttle 53 August 10th 06 07:49 PM
Former astronaut, senator Glenn hurt in car crash Jim Oberg History 54 August 10th 06 07:49 PM
Glenn speech Jim Oberg Policy 77 December 7th 04 09:18 AM
Glenn speech Jim Oberg History 99 December 7th 04 09:18 AM