A Space & astronomy forum. SpaceBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » SpaceBanter.com forum » Space Science » Policy
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Soyuz Rocket Launch Failure Forces Emergency Landing of Soyuz!



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 11th 18, 11:23 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,747
Default Soyuz Rocket Launch Failure Forces Emergency Landing of Soyuz!


Soyuz Rocket Launch Failure Forces Emergency Landing for US-Russian
Space Station Crew
By Meghan Bartels, Space.com Senior Writer | October 11, 2018 05:11am ET
https://www.space.com/42097-soyuz-ro...expedition-57-
crew.html

Stupid Russian reliability finally bit us in the ass. Luckily it sounds
like the crew survived the ballistic reentry and landing after the upper
stage failed to start. On Facebook someone said reentry G's were 6
point something. High, but survivable.

This comes on the heels of the hole, causing air loss, that was
discovered in the orbital module of one of the Soyuz capsules docked to
ISS.

We need to fly commercial crew test flights a.s.a.p. At this point it's
reportedly NASA "paperwork" that's delaying the program!

Jeff
--
All opinions posted by me on Usenet News are mine, and mine alone.
These posts do not reflect the opinions of my family, friends,
employer, or any organization that I am a member of.
  #2  
Old October 11th 18, 12:04 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,800
Default Soyuz Rocket Launch Failure Forces Emergency Landing of Soyuz!

Jeff Findley wrote on Thu, 11 Oct 2018
06:23:40 -0400:


Soyuz Rocket Launch Failure Forces Emergency Landing for US-Russian
Space Station Crew
By Meghan Bartels, Space.com Senior Writer | October 11, 2018 05:11am ET
https://www.space.com/42097-soyuz-ro...expedition-57-
crew.html

Stupid Russian reliability finally bit us in the ass. Luckily it sounds
like the crew survived the ballistic reentry and landing after the upper
stage failed to start. On Facebook someone said reentry G's were 6
point something. High, but survivable.


6g? Hell, that's not that much worse than the 'jolt' on a normal
Soyuz landing.


This comes on the heels of the hole, causing air loss, that was
discovered in the orbital module of one of the Soyuz capsules docked to
ISS.

We need to fly commercial crew test flights a.s.a.p. At this point it's
reportedly NASA "paperwork" that's delaying the program!


Right now I think they're talking about next June for Crew Dragon and
a couple months after that for Boeing.


--
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable
man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore,
all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
--George Bernard Shaw
  #3  
Old October 11th 18, 02:19 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 627
Default Soyuz Rocket Launch Failure Forces Emergency Landing of Soyuz!

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message
...


Soyuz Rocket Launch Failure Forces Emergency Landing for US-Russian
Space Station Crew
By Meghan Bartels, Space.com Senior Writer | October 11, 2018 05:11am ET
https://www.space.com/42097-soyuz-ro...expedition-57-
crew.html

Stupid Russian reliability finally bit us in the ass. Luckily it sounds
like the crew survived the ballistic reentry and landing after the upper
stage failed to start. On Facebook someone said reentry G's were 6
point something. High, but survivable.

This comes on the heels of the hole, causing air loss, that was
discovered in the orbital module of one of the Soyuz capsules docked to
ISS.

We need to fly commercial crew test flights a.s.a.p. At this point it's
reportedly NASA "paperwork" that's delaying the program!

Jeff


I've said for years, give me a comfortable lawn chair, some SCUBA equipment
and some snacks and I'd fly Cargo Dragon tomorrow.

But yeah, I can see this very quickly moving up the launches of Dragon 2
(and perhaps CST-100, but I suspect they're more constrained by available
boosters.0



--
Greg D. Moore http://greenmountainsoftware.wordpress.com/
CEO QuiCR: Quick, Crowdsourced Responses. http://www.quicr.net
IT Disaster Response -
https://www.amazon.com/Disaster-Resp...dp/1484221834/

  #4  
Old October 15th 18, 05:26 AM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,492
Default Soyuz Rocket Launch Failure Forces Emergency Landing of Soyuz!

On 10/11/2018 9:19 AM, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:
"Jeff Findley"* wrote in message
...


Soyuz Rocket Launch Failure Forces Emergency Landing for US-Russian
Space Station Crew
By Meghan Bartels, Space.com Senior Writer | October 11, 2018 05:11am ET
https://www.space.com/42097-soyuz-ro...expedition-57-
crew.html

Stupid Russian reliability finally bit us in the ass.* Luckily it sounds
like the crew survived the ballistic reentry and landing after the upper
stage failed to start.* On Facebook someone said reentry G's were 6
point something.* High, but survivable.

This comes on the heels of the hole, causing air loss, that was
discovered in the orbital module of one of the Soyuz capsules docked to
ISS.

We need to fly commercial crew test flights a.s.a.p.* At this point it's
reportedly NASA "paperwork" that's delaying the program!

Jeff


I've said for years, give me a comfortable lawn chair, some SCUBA
equipment and some snacks and I'd fly Cargo Dragon tomorrow.

But yeah, I can see this very quickly moving up the launches of Dragon 2
(and perhaps CST-100, but I suspect they're more constrained by
available boosters.0



Not happening, according to spokesmen for both Boeing and SpaceX.

https://spacenews.com/safety-panel-f...fety-concerns/



quote
Commercial crew providers respond

During a panel session later in the day [Oct. 11th] at the International
Symposium for Personal and Commercial Spaceflight here, managers of
Boeing’s and SpaceX’s commercial crew programs said they were still
confident that they could meet their current schedules for testing their
vehicles, but would not sacrifice safety for schedule.

The latest schedule, released by NASA Oct. 4, calls for an uncrewed test
flight by SpaceX in January, followed by a crewed one in June. Boeing
would perform an uncrewed test flight in March and a crewed one in
August. That schedule, though, represented a delay of two months for
SpaceX, and a roughly similar time frame for Boeing, since the previous
schedule released in August.

“You lay out a plan you believe you can achieve,” said John Mulholland,
vice president and program manager for commercial programs at Boeing’s
space exploration unit. He noted the company was 85 percent of the way
through the overall test program, but added that still meant a chance of
discovery of new issues during that final 15 percent. “If there’s
discovery that we have, we’ll address it correctly, and fly as soon as
we’re ready.”

“You put together a plan, you expect to follow it, and you do your best
to get there,” said Benji Reed, director of commercial crew mission
management at SpaceX. “While we’re all pushing hard to get flying, you
also want to want to provide it safely.”

/quote

These companies are too smart to buck the party line and bite the hand
that feeds.

Dave



  #5  
Old October 15th 18, 05:28 AM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,492
Default Soyuz Rocket Launch Failure Forces Emergency Landing of Soyuz!

On 10/15/2018 12:26 AM, David Spain wrote:
On 10/11/2018 9:19 AM, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:
"Jeff Findley"* wrote in message
...


Soyuz Rocket Launch Failure Forces Emergency Landing for US-Russian
Space Station Crew
By Meghan Bartels, Space.com Senior Writer | October 11, 2018 05:11am ET
https://www.space.com/42097-soyuz-ro...expedition-57-
crew.html

Stupid Russian reliability finally bit us in the ass.* Luckily it sounds
like the crew survived the ballistic reentry and landing after the upper
stage failed to start.* On Facebook someone said reentry G's were 6
point something.* High, but survivable.

This comes on the heels of the hole, causing air loss, that was
discovered in the orbital module of one of the Soyuz capsules docked to
ISS.

We need to fly commercial crew test flights a.s.a.p.* At this point it's
reportedly NASA "paperwork" that's delaying the program!

Jeff


I've said for years, give me a comfortable lawn chair, some SCUBA
equipment and some snacks and I'd fly Cargo Dragon tomorrow.

But yeah, I can see this very quickly moving up the launches of Dragon
2 (and perhaps CST-100, but I suspect they're more constrained by
available boosters.0



Not happening, according to spokesmen for both Boeing and SpaceX.

https://spacenews.com/safety-panel-f...fety-concerns/

These companies are too smart to buck the party line and bite the hand
that feeds.

Dave




BTW. ASAP == Aerospace Safety Advisory Panel - talk about acronym abuse.

Dave

  #6  
Old October 15th 18, 07:46 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Elliot[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 62
Default Soyuz Rocket Launch Failure Forces Emergency Landing of Soyuz!

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018, David Spain wrote:

BTW. ASAP == Aerospace Safety Advisory Panel - talk about acronym
abuse.


In that context does ASAP mean "as slow as possible"?
  #7  
Old October 12th 18, 11:12 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,747
Default Soyuz Rocket Launch Failure Forces Emergency Landing of Soyuz!

In article ,
says...

Soyuz Rocket Launch Failure Forces Emergency Landing for US-Russian
Space Station Crew
By Meghan Bartels, Space.com Senior Writer | October 11, 2018 05:11am ET
https://www.space.com/42097-soyuz-ro...expedition-57-
crew.html

Stupid Russian reliability finally bit us in the ass. Luckily it sounds
like the crew survived the ballistic reentry and landing after the upper
stage failed to start. On Facebook someone said reentry G's were 6
point something. High, but survivable.

This comes on the heels of the hole, causing air loss, that was
discovered in the orbital module of one of the Soyuz capsules docked to
ISS.

We need to fly commercial crew test flights a.s.a.p. At this point it's
reportedly NASA "paperwork" that's delaying the program!


I forgot to add, over the life of the ISS program, the Russians have had
three different Progress resupply vessels fail to make it to ISS. The
last Progress failure was an actual launch vehicle failure. But, the
Russians were quick to point out that for crewed launches they use a
different, safer, version of the Soyuz launch vehicle.

Unfortunately, a different design doesn't protect you from things like
shoddy workmanship from underpaid workers or from shoddy suppliers.

Jeff
--
All opinions posted by me on Usenet News are mine, and mine alone.
These posts do not reflect the opinions of my family, friends,
employer, or any organization that I am a member of.
  #8  
Old October 15th 18, 05:53 AM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,492
Default Soyuz Rocket Launch Failure Forces Emergency Landing of Soyuz!

Russian investigation proceeds today...

http://tass.com/science/1025869


Dave
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Soyuz rocket launch aborted [email protected] Space Shuttle 0 October 11th 18 12:23 PM
Behind the beautiful Soyuz launch: overcoming a communications emergency Jim Oberg Space Station 2 April 11th 06 03:50 AM
Behind the beautiful Soyuz launch: overcoming a communications emergency Jim Oberg History 2 April 11th 06 03:50 AM
Soyuz emergency landing in U.S. instructions. Pat Flannery History 7 June 21st 04 02:22 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 SpaceBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.