Possible cost-cutting of CCDs for specific apps.

Old February 11th 04, 12:29 AM
Del Johnson

Default Possible cost-cutting of CCDs for specific apps.

I would say that amateur astrophotography done largely for aesthetics and
not for research data. Again, there is no requirement for X arcsec
resolution when someone takes a prime focus photo of the Orion Nebula or
M-31, but there is a requirement for many pixels and large fields (i.e. high
definition). It is only your particular interests that dictate angular
resolution and small fields.

This is starting to sound like arguments for and against letterbox format on
a standard television.

Del Johnson

"Chris L Peterson" wrote in message

With astrophotography, the issue _is_ angular resolution. That is all that
matters. Once your imaging device, be it electronic or film, can fully

sample
the object at the limiting angular resolution, you have succeeded in

capturing
all the available information. Any arbitrary definition can be losslessly
achieved through post processing.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Old February 11th 04, 12:34 AM
Chris L Peterson

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:29:27 -0800, "Del Johnson" delastro@{right star in
Orion's belt}.sdsu.edu wrote:

I would say that amateur astrophotography done largely for aesthetics and
not for research data. Again, there is no requirement for X arcsec
resolution when someone takes a prime focus photo of the Orion Nebula or
M-31, but there is a requirement for many pixels and large fields (i.e. high
definition). It is only your particular interests that dictate angular
resolution and small fields.

Perhaps you missed the original post that started this thread. Richard was
specifically asking about using smaller arrays for small objects that don't
require a large field. Nobody is saying that high resolution images of large
fields don't require more pixels than high resolution images of small fields.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Old February 11th 04, 12:40 AM
Chris L Peterson

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:29:27 -0800, "Del Johnson" delastro@{right star in
Orion's belt}.sdsu.edu wrote:

BTW, regarding your email obfuscation. Would that be my right or Orion's right?
And perhaps if I were in the southern hemisphere, I would have a different
opinion on what the "right" side of Orion is g. Maybe you should go for the
western star in Orion's belt (assuming that's the one you are meaning).

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Old February 11th 04, 01:38 AM
WayneH

On 10 Feb 2004 22:52:19 GMT, (Jon Isaacs) wrote:

I forgot the grin...

Wayne Hoffman
33° 49" 17' N 117° 56" 41' W
"Don't Look Down"

http://home.pacbell.net/w6wlr/

Old February 11th 04, 05:24 AM
Brian Tung

Wayne Hoffman wrote (of Jon Isaacs):
Well put. I didn't think a sock puppet had the capacity to distill
and convey to others such advanced concepts.

Well, reductio ad absurdum...

Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt