All the King's Men

Old November 7th 04, 11:17 PM
Twittering One

Default All the King's Men

"ALL THE KING'S MEN

The Fiftieth Anniversary Edition of Robert Penn Warren's Masterpiece,
published by Harvest/Harcourt Brace.

To call ALL THE KING'S MEN a political novel is roughly akin to calling MOBY
DICK a fish story. While it concerns politics, specifically the rise and fall
of a character modeled on Huey Long, one-time Governor of and Senator from
Louisiana, it is about the largest themes that we face in life. Power.
Impotence. Idealism. Pragmatism. Sin. Redemption. Involvement. Non-
involvement. The factual. The mythical.
That Robert Penn Warren could take on these heroic themes and weave them
together successfully tells us that he is a philosopher of no mean ability.
That, at the same time, he could produce what is referred to as "a real
page-turner," or "a good read," tells us that he is an artist of the highest
stature.

ALL THE KING'S MEN was first published on August 19, 1946. It had a rousing
critical welcome and went on win the Pulitzer Prize for literature and was made
into a major motion picture which won The Academy Award for best picture, best
actor and best actress in 1949."

http://www.blockhead.com/books.htm

_______
HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo"http://journal
s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo/A

Old November 7th 04, 11:23 PM
Twittering One

"A Baroque Sunburst

struck such a dome
as might await a groaning Michelangelo,
finding only alders and barnacles
and herring gulls at their usual squabbles,
sheds on the cove's voluted
silver the aloof skin tones
of a Crivello angel: a region..."

-- Amy Clampitt,