Telescopes of Captain James Cook.

Old March 3rd 04, 10:21 PM
Larry Brown

Default Telescopes of Captain James Cook.

In case you haven't seen the page about Captain James Cook. It took me
over two years to research this and find out what telescopes he actually
took with him. The answer came from a ship's manifest. You can find the
pages he
http://www.antiquetelescopes.org/cook.html
I have also added a page about fake antique telescopes.
I can't help wondering if the name Captain James T Kirk was taken from
Captain James Cook. Cook was a real explorer who went where no man had
gone before, after all.

--
"Do you lilke card tricks?" he asked.
I said no.

Old March 3rd 04, 11:02 PM
Thomas M

"Larry Brown" wrote in message
In case you haven't seen the page about Captain James Cook. It took me
over two years to research this and find out what telescopes he actually
took with him. The answer came from a ship's manifest. You can find the
pages he
http://www.antiquetelescopes.org/cook.html
I have also added a page about fake antique telescopes.
I can't help wondering if the name Captain James T Kirk was taken from
Captain James Cook. Cook was a real explorer who went where no man had
gone before, after all.

I thought the SCT principle was much younger than that...its an F6 SCT in
the article

Old March 3rd 04, 11:40 PM
Francis Marion

Great site with excellent information.

Thanks for making it available.

Good day,
Francis Marion

Old March 4th 04, 01:00 AM
David Knisely

Thomas M wrote:

I thought the SCT principle was much younger than that...its an F6 SCT in
the article

The reflector in the article is not an SCT. It is a simple Cassegrain,
possibly Classical or Gregorian, as the Gregorians were often resorted to
during the era of the "brass" telescope (the tube length argues for a
Gregorian). The SCT is a different and much more recent design (circa 1962)
using spherical optics and a large corrector plate. Clear skies to you.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 18-23, 2004, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

Old March 4th 04, 01:31 AM
Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th

"Thomas M" wrote in news:Jtt1c.59905$A12.9134@edtnps84:

"Larry Brown" wrote in message
In case you haven't seen the page about Captain James Cook. It took
me over two years to research this and find out what telescopes he
actually took with him. The answer came from a ship's manifest. You
can find the pages he
http://www.antiquetelescopes.org/cook.html
I have also added a page about fake antique telescopes.
I can't help wondering if the name Captain James T Kirk was taken
from Captain James Cook. Cook was a real explorer who went where no
man had gone before, after all.

I thought the SCT principle was much younger than that...its an F6
SCT in the article

It doesn't say an SCT. Though F6 does seem rather fast for a classical
cassegrain or similar.

Llanzlan
Old March 4th 04, 01:37 AM
Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th

Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th wrote in
7.6:

"Thomas M" wrote in news:Jtt1c.59905$A12.9134@edtnps84:

"Larry Brown" wrote in message
In case you haven't seen the page about Captain James Cook. It took
me over two years to research this and find out what telescopes he
actually took with him. The answer came from a ship's manifest. You
can find the pages he
http://www.antiquetelescopes.org/cook.html
I have also added a page about fake antique telescopes.
I can't help wondering if the name Captain James T Kirk was taken
from Captain James Cook. Cook was a real explorer who went where no
man had gone before, after all.

I thought the SCT principle was much younger than that...its an F6
SCT in the article

It doesn't say an SCT. Though F6 does seem rather fast for a classical
cassegrain or similar.

Llanzlan

Reading some other sites. I conclude that the scope was most likely a
Gregorian.

Llanzlan.
Old March 4th 04, 01:45 AM
Tom Rankin

White man anyway...

Cook was a real explorer who went where no man had
gone before, after all.

--
Tom Rankin - Programmer by day, amateur astronomer by night!
Mid-Hudson Astronomy Association - http://jump.to/mhaa

When replying, remove the capital letters from my email address.

(And yes, I'm white too!)
Old March 4th 04, 01:56 AM
Thomas M

"David Knisely" wrote in message
Thomas M wrote:

I thought the SCT principle was much younger than that...its an F6 SCT

in
the article

The reflector in the article is not an SCT. It is a simple Cassegrain,
possibly Classical or Gregorian, as the Gregorians were often resorted to
during the era of the "brass" telescope (the tube length argues for a
Gregorian). The SCT is a different and much more recent design (circa

1962)
using spherical optics and a large corrector plate. Clear skies to you.
--

Some of you have a real bad habit of splitting hairs...the concept or
priciple is the same!

Old March 4th 04, 03:43 AM
Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th

Thomas M wrote:

I thought the SCT principle was much younger than that...its an F6
SCT

in
the article

The reflector in the article is not an SCT. It is a simple
Cassegrain, possibly Classical or Gregorian, as the Gregorians were
often resorted to during the era of the "brass" telescope (the tube
length argues for a Gregorian). The SCT is a different and much more
recent design (circa

1962)
using spherical optics and a large corrector plate. Clear skies to
you. --

Some of you have a real bad habit of splitting hairs...the concept or
priciple is the same!

So do you call your SCT a Classical Cassegrain?

Llanzlan.
Old March 4th 04, 04:23 AM
Thad Floryan

Larry Brown wrote in message ...
In case you haven't seen the page about Captain James Cook. It took me
over two years to research this and find out what telescopes he actually
took with him. The answer came from a ship's manifest. You can find the
pages he
http://www.antiquetelescopes.org/cook.html
I have also added a page about fake antique telescopes.
I can't help wondering if the name Captain James T Kirk was taken from
Captain James Cook. Cook was a real explorer who went where no man had
gone before, after all.

That's for sure. He was eaten by the native cannibals in Hawaii who refer
to this (apparent) delicacy as "long pig".