Bino "wow" factor

Old November 26th 03, 12:43 PM
Loren Toole

Default Bino "wow" factor

I don't believe this has been discussed here recently...

In the past few months I have been following the thteads on
aperture vs. magnification and concluded that small, higher
power (20x and up) binos are better suited for the type of
viewing I like to do, mainly splashy star clusters. So, in
an attempt to test the theory I've greatly expanded my bino
collection to include 8x42, 12x60, 15x70 and 20x60s.

Of course all of these binos differ in AFOV and TFOV. After
a few recent sessions viewing the M36-37-38 area it seems
there is another factor which needs to be considered, mainly
the "wow" factor. I guess this would differ for each person
but for me, it certainly relates to ease of finding, bright
images, at least partial resolution and rich field.

It seems that the sweet spot, for me, falls at the 12x60
point mainly due to 70+ AFOV eyepieces, the sense that this
bino is simply s wide, magnified window on the sky.

What are your experiences with bino "wow" factor?

Loren Toole
Santa Fe, NM
Old November 26th 03, 02:00 PM
Jon Isaacs

What are your experiences with bino "wow" factor?

Loren Toole
Santa Fe, NM

Dark Skies are the biggest factor in getting that WOW. I like hand holding
binoculars and I like wide fields of view.

For me the biggest binocular WOW comes from using my 7x42 Meade Montana roof
prism birding binoculars. They have an 8 degree FOV and it is sharp to the
edge, they are comfortable to hold and just a pleasure to use. The long eye
relief combined with the pull up/twist up style eyecups are a real bonus, I
think those should be standard on all binoculars. No black outs or trying to
optimize the position of my eye.

I was using them under dark skies a few months ago and several other
experienced amateur observers tried them and they all had the same reaction:

WOW...

I know other binoculars like my 10x50s and 11x80s provide larger scales and
brighter views. But I don't like mounting them and these darn roof prism
binoculars are just so comfortable to hold, shake free so easy to use and the
views are just great.

Jon
Old November 27th 03, 05:46 AM
M. Tettnanger

(Jon Isaacs) wrote...
For me the biggest binocular WOW comes from using my 7x42 Meade Montana roof
prism birding binoculars. They have an 8 degree FOV and it is sharp to the

Your post had me thinking about picking up binoculars rather
than the scope but
http://www.stardustgallery.com/montana.htm
$300... ugh! Sounds really good, but I've got a major case
of sticker shock. :^(

Mark
Old November 27th 03, 06:28 AM
Kilolani

"Loren Toole" wrote in message
m...
I don't believe this has been discussed here recently...

It seems that the sweet spot, for me, falls at the 12x60
point mainly due to 70+ AFOV eyepieces, the sense that this
bino is simply s wide, magnified window on the sky.

What are your experiences with bino "wow" factor?

My biggest bino "wow" factor came with my first view of M31 in my Canon IS
15x50's. I was literally blown away by it's size and brightness. Moving down
to the open clusters in Auriga, I was in deep sky bino heaven! I can't wait
for Omega Centauri to come back around!

Old November 27th 03, 07:32 AM
Jon Isaacs

Your post had me thinking about picking up binoculars rather
than the scope but
http://www.stardustgallery.com/montana.htm
$300... ugh! Sounds really good, but I've got a major case
of sticker shock. :^(

Mark

I think they are decent binoculars but if I had $300 to spend I would choose
something else... Currently Adorama has the Swift Audubon 8.5x44's Porro
Prisms on sale for $229, these are supposed be darn good binoculars.

jon
Old November 27th 03, 11:40 AM
Dennis Woos

What are your experiences with bino "wow" factor?

Loren Toole
Santa Fe, NM

During a Middle School event a friend and I did in Ripton, VT - very dark
skies - we viewed M31 in 11x80 Parks? UO? binos, and it was the WOW object
of the night. These binos have a 4.5degree fov, and M31 appeared wider than
that. Tremendous, and more impressive than the view in our 6" f/6 mak-newt
with a BW-Optic 30mm which we like a whole lot!

Dennis

Old November 27th 03, 03:59 PM
Phil

In my case, 15x70s on a Unimount provide lots of "Wow". Those 15x50 IS
are real appealing but also pricy, I suspect. More portable than my
Umimount (but less versatile .. can mount cameras and small scopes on
the Unimount).

Phil

Old November 27th 03, 06:51 PM
Gerry Aitken©

Loren Toole wrote:
I don't believe this has been discussed here recently...
=20
In the past few months I have been following the thteads on
aperture vs. magnification and concluded that small, higher
power (20x and up) binos are better suited for the type of
viewing I like to do, mainly splashy star clusters. So, in=20
an attempt to test the theory I've greatly expanded my bino
collection to include 8x42, 12x60, 15x70 and 20x60s.=20
=20
Of course all of these binos differ in AFOV and TFOV. After
a few recent sessions viewing the M36-37-38 area it seems
there is another factor which needs to be considered, mainly
the "wow" factor. I guess this would differ for each person
but for me, it certainly relates to ease of finding, bright
images, at least partial resolution and rich field.
=20
It seems that the sweet spot, for me, falls at the 12x60=20
point mainly due to 70+ AFOV eyepieces, the sense that this=20
bino is simply s wide, magnified window on the sky.
=20
What are your experiences with bino "wow" factor?
=20
Loren Toole=20
Santa Fe, NM

When I pressed the button on my canon 10x30is bino's I said, "Wow, wow,=20
wow!".

I still say wow at least once everytime I use them!

--=20

Gerry Aitken=A9

=2E..and a friend shall lose a friend's hammer. - Book of Cyril, chapter =

6, verse 16

This e-mail has been scanned for all known viruses by a fish called Colin=
=2E

Old November 27th 03, 09:55 PM
Phil

Gerry Aitken© wrote:

When I pressed the button on my canon 10x30is bino's I said, "Wow, wow,
wow!".

I still say wow at least once everytime I use them!

How do those work for astronomy? I read a somewhat negative review of
the 15x50IS model -- which was a big surprise. Is 30 mm enough for real
"wow" on DSOs?

Phil

Hubble Hobbles & The Fear Factor Kent Betts Space Shuttle 4 February 20th 04 01:45 PM
The sleep factor Tdcarls Amateur Astronomy 5 September 29th 03 02:23 AM
Clinton administration a contributing factor to loss of Columbia? Mutts Space Shuttle 10 September 2nd 03 01:44 AM
The Collins factor Doug... History 27 August 22nd 03 05:57 PM
W. Ferris article in Sky and Telescope August 2003 article on ODM PrisNo6 Amateur Astronomy 25 August 11th 03 08:02 PM