Free Astronomy Log Software

Old August 5th 03, 01:06 AM
David Green

Default Free Astronomy Log Software

I've been developing software for amateur astronomers and giving it away
for a few years now. Here is an update on the latest pieces of software
available for FREE on my Web site:

- The Ultimate Messier Object Log (TUMOL). A powerful database for finding
the Messier objects and recording your observations. It has star charts and
pictures of all the objects.

- The Simple Observing Log (TSOL). A simple, yet powerful database for
tracking all your observations. Now includes an in-depth astrophoto and CCD
imaging section, and variable star tracking info conforming to AAVSO
standards.

- The Caldwell Observing Log (TCOL). Once you've completed the Messier
search, you may want to try observing the Caldwell catalog. This database is
similar to TUMOL but has the Caldwell objects.

- The Overlooked Object Log (OOLog). This log is based on Brent Watson's
cool Telrad companion book on Overlooked Objects. Unlike the other logs, it
does not include charts or pictures.... You'll have to buy Brent's book!
(http://www.sky-spot.com/skyspot.html)

- The Eyepiece Calculator (TEC). This is not downloadable software, but a
simple Web-based page using Javascript that lets you enter information about
your eyepieces and telescope, and find out magnification, field of view,
etc. Now available in Spanish! (¡Ahora en Español!)

All the above software runs on Macs and Windows. Some of it is also
available for Palm OS. If you have Filemaker Pro, you can even download the
source and modify it for your own uses!

The logs let you sort by different views, such as season, constellation,
catalog #, etc. There are more reports than you are likely to need, and even
a "night vision" mode that displays everything in red so you can use it in
the field. (But menus aren't affected, so I'd recommend you use a program
like DarkAdapted instead:

http://www.adpartnership.net/DarkAdapted/index.html )

All of the software is free, no strings attached, no tricks, no gathering of
marketing data, etc. It is fully functional, and not shareware or demoware.

http://www.davidpaulgreen.com/software.html

Clear skies,

David Green

P.S. I have no affiliation with either Brent Watson or DarkAdapted, other
than as an appreciative customer.

Old August 5th 03, 02:07 AM

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 00:06:52 GMT, David Green
wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I edit the newsletter for a local astronomy association and
amateur observatory. I include an astronomy website in every edition;
yours will be in the next one.

Cordially,

Dennis
Old August 5th 03, 06:34 PM
jaf

Hey Paul,
for us troglodytes who use steam powered computers,
How you do that?

"Paul Schlyter" wrote in message
David Green wrote:

- The Eyepiece Calculator (TEC). This is not downloadable software, but

simple Web-based page using Javascript

I'm sorry, but it's pretty easy to download such pages too. Then you
have it as a local file on your own computer and can run it from there
anytime you want.

I save local copies of Javascript pages I like -- then I still have them
even if the web site should go away for one reason or another.

e-mail: pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW: http://www.stjarnhimlen.se/
http://home.tiscali.se/pausch/

Old August 5th 03, 08:48 PM
Paul Schlyter

David Green wrote:

- The Eyepiece Calculator (TEC). This is not downloadable software, but
a simple Web-based page using Javascript

I'm sorry, but it's pretty easy to download such pages too. Then you
have it as a local file on your own computer and can run it from there
anytime you want.

I save local copies of Javascript pages I like -- then I still have them
even if the web site should go away for one reason or another.

Hey Paul,
for us troglodytes who use steam powered computers,
How you do that?

I assume you by "steam powered computers" mean computers not having a GUI....

Get the nice freeware utility Curl at http://curl.haxx.se -- if needed, build
it on your system. Then, to save any web page (or other file on the web)
as a local file on your computer, simply do:

curl [url] [name_of_local_file]

where [url] can be both http:// and ftp:// URL's. If the URL points
to a directory (and in such a case, it must contain a trailing /), you'll
get a listing of the files in that directory, or a message that you're
not allowed to get such a listing on that machine.

Old August 6th 03, 02:11 AM
William Hamblen

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 17:34:12 GMT, "jaf"
wrote:

for us troglodytes who use steam powered computers,

You're using Outlook Express to read news, so I guess you have
Internet Explorer. Using Internet Explorer, click on "File" then
click on "Save as ..." then change file name and directory as desired
then click on "Save."

This way you don't have to burn connect time the next time you want to
look at the page. Pages that use server side programming won't work,
though.