Bye-bye INF treaty?

Old March 9th 07, 09:15 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Jordan[_1_]

Default Bye-bye INF treaty?

On Mar 3, 3:39 am, "frédéric haessig" wrote:
"Rand Simberg" a écrit dans le message denews: 4658a39f.1371870__BEGIN_MASK_n#9g02mG7!__...__END_ ...

Yes. That's not a fact. I'll forgive you because, though your
English is excellent, it's probably not your first language.
Apparently you're unfamiliar with the meaning of that word (hint: it
doesn't mean merely stating something that later turns out not to be
the case).

Lying means stating something you know is not true.

Which is exactly what Bush did.

He had access to reports from the US intelligence community stating that
Sadam WMD program was a fake. He ignored them and kept asking for other
information until he managed to get which could be interpreted to say what
he wanted. Erog, Bush knew.

Bush had access to _some_ reports from the US intelligence community
stating that Saddam's WMD program was a fake; he had access to many
other reports from American and other intelligence agencies stating
that these weapons were real. Most informed observers at the time
believed that they were real -- even those arguing _against_ an
American invasion based their arguments in part on fear of what Saddam
would _do_ with his WMD if his back were against the wall.

You are, essentially, arguing that Bush "lied" because he went with
the reports stating that the weapons were real, at a time when it was
far from obvious that these reports were incorrect. An implication of
your argument, if true, would be that you consider Bush to have been
_far_ smarter and better-informed than other heads of state and
intelligence chiefs of the era. Are you willing to stand by this
implication?

Yes. That's not a fact. Saddam started that war, back in 1989. It
never really ended, until he was removed from power. There was simply
a long ceasefire, during which he continued to violate its terms, and
seventeen Security Council Resolutions relating to it, and shot at our
aircraft that were attempting to enforce it.

And that's your excuse. Pretty weak.

It's apparently strong enough that you don't have a logical counter to
it. So I would guess that _your_ position is "weaker."

I won't even go into how many dictators
used that type of excuse to start wars, appealing to past wrongs and border
incidents ( staged or not )

This does not address the point Rand made: that Saddam started the
war in 1989 and then violated the truce that ended the hostilities in
1990. Do you actually have any argument or evidence disproving his
points?

Tens to hundreds of thousands of innocent people were dying under
Saddam's regime.

Yes. Are you aware that the death call is likely greater in Iraq since 2003
that it has been under all of Saddam's rule ( including Kurd gassing with
chemical weapons )?

And thus we should abandon the Iraqi people to those who are killing
them, the Terrorists?

That's no longer happening. Did you weep for them?

Yes.

Do you weep for the ones which dies because of the US iraq invasion and
which would be alive today if not?

Would they be?

Saddam had a record of launching wars of aggression. I would imagine
that if we had removed the sanctions, and left Saddam in charge, by
now he would have launched another one. You are (implicitly) assuming
that if we removed the sanctions and left Saddam in charge, he would
have remained at peace, but that does not follow based on his actions
in the past.

Two wrongs do not make a right.

Saddam was a very bad tyrant. The way bush choose to deal with him was even
worse for the iraqi people.

How would _you_ have deposed Saddam, in a way which would have been
better for the Iraqi people, if you had been President from 2001 to
the present?

It happens in wars.

Which is why waging a war of agression has been made into a crime.

Our invasion of Iraq was not a "war of aggression," it was directly
provoked by Saddam's numerous violations of the truce.

That he won't be is an accusation against USA.

laughing

For what?

For letting politics rule justice to an even bigger degree than in France.

In America, we try to avoid making political dissent a crime. Simply
because Bush dissented from the position that the US Democrats take
_today_ (emphasis because in 2003 they supported the invasion) is not
a criminal offense.

I'd really likle to see Chirac in front of a judge to at least answer to
some question about the system. He may be - though I doubt it -, but he
definitely will not be indicted. There's a time limit on petty crime, and
even if there wasn't, it would be very difficult to get any proof of
wrongdoing. Do you even understand what he is accused of?

I find it interesting that taking bribes from a foreign power and
guiding his nation's foreign policy based in part on the desire to
receive more such bribes in the future is a "petty crime." I'd call
that "high treason."

Documents reveal that the Iraqi government also gave fourteen million
barrels of oil to French businessman Patrick Maugein, whom it
considered "a conduit to French president Chirac."[50] The French
judiciary has begun investigating leads on the Maugein connection.[51]
While citizens of many other countries are involved, few are as senior
or as well connected to their governments as the Frenchmen involved.
The level of oil-for-food contacts reflects both the high-level of
Franco-Iraqi ties, as well as Saddam Hussein's belief that the Chirac
administration was an easy target for a campaign of influence."

I stated nothing about past friendship between Saddam and Chirac.

No, I did that. You know, just to strengthen my case. That's how
arguments (as opposed to trolling) work...

You are definitely an expert on trolling., as demonstrated by you constant
changing of the matter under discussion and distortion of what I said.

Thank you for implicitly admitting, by failing to address Simberg's
_main point_, that you have no defense for Chirac against the
accusation of yielding to this campaign of influence for essentially
venal motives.

"fox level propaganda"?

What in it is false?

Too many things for me to bother getting them one by one. Just try a
critical analysis and it will be obvious, as long as you're not blinded by
preconceptions.

Translation from the Haessigian:

"I have no rational arguments here, so I say that I am a wiser person
than you and hope that my status-claim will serve in the place of
logic. Ook! Ook!"

(sound effects added to highlight Haessig's chimpanzee-level
reasoning).

- Jordan

Old March 9th 07, 09:19 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Jordan[_1_]

On Mar 3, 10:11 am, Hop David wrote:
Rand Simberg wrote:

Oh, this is ridiculous.

This is dishonest.

"Perhaps Chirac's deepest friendship has been with Saddam Hussein.[30]
The two first met in December 1974 when Prime Minister Chirac visited
Baghdad to negotiate trade agreements, including the delivery of a
nuclear reactor[31] later destroyed by an Israeli air raid in 1981.
When Hussein visited France the following September-his only visit to
a Western country[32]-then-prime minister Chirac said, "I welcome you
as my personal friend. I assure you of my esteem, my consideration,
and my affection."[33]

From the same time period a photo of Rumsfeld was taken shaking
Saddam's hand. The photo was taken after Saddam used poison gas made
from chemicals his U.S. friends supplied.

Rumsfeld should be shot for his friendship with that murderous *******
Saddam.

Rumsfeld merely participated in an alliance of convenience between
America and Iraq, against Iran. He did _not_ take bribes from Saddam,
and he did not continue the alliance with Saddam _after_ Saddam had
turned against civilized states.

Do you believe that Roosevelt, Churchill, Truman and Attlee should
have been "shot for their friendship with that murderous *******"
Stalin? If not, why not?

- Jordan

Old March 9th 07, 10:35 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Jordan wrote:

Thank you for implicitly admitting, by failing to address Simberg's
_main point_, that you have no defense for Chirac against the
accusation of yielding to this campaign of influence for essentially
venal motives.

Hey, you know how we are concerned about Iran, and how it might get
nuclear weapons?
Well, according to this 1999 article in The Jerusalem Post, we may be a
bit late on all this:
http://www.fas.org/news/iran/1999/980409-iran-jp.htm
We attack Iran, and this all could get _really_ interesting.

Pat
Old March 10th 07, 05:21 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Eric Chomko

Fred J. McCall wrote:
"Eric Chomko" wrote:

:On Mar 8, 10:40 am, Pat Flannery wrote:
: Fred J. McCall wrote:
:
: :"Dubya says: 'Invade Afganistan'!"
: :"Sir, yes sir!"
: :"Dubya says: 'Invade Iraq'!"
: :"Sir, yes sir!"
: :"Torture our prisoners!"
: :"Sir, yes sir!"
: :"Heh-heh...I didn't say: 'Dubya says', so it's not my fault, ****ers."
:
: Jesus, you're an idiot sometimes, Pat ... and that IS your fault.
:
: "Mr. President, are you going to pardon Scooter Libby?"
: "Scooter who? Never heard of him."
: "Mr. President, didn't you considerably cut back funding for the VA,
: leading to the sort of of appalling conditions seen at Walter Reed?"
: "Walter who? Never heard of him."
: "Mr. President, didn't Donald Rumsfeld become the fall guy for this
: administration's failures in Iraq?"
: "Donald who? Never heard of him."
: "Mr. President, it's been said that George Bush is just a mindless
: puppet front-man for a bunch of crooks and political wackos who are
: doing irreparable harm to this nation, its people, its standing in the
: world, and its military forces. What do you think of that statement?"
: "George who? Never heard of...hey, wait a second, I resent that. Nobody
: talks about my dad like that." :-)
:
:Makes me think of the presidents list as:
:
:Reagan
:Bush
:Clinton
:Bush
:Clinton
:
:Nothing is doing more to get another Clinton in the WH other than the
:current Bush.

And nothing is doing more to keep her (and other Democrats) out than
idiots like the preceding. "I Hate George Bush And So Should You"
isn't considered an adequate statement of policy by most sane
people...

Then a whole lot of insane people are going to shake up your world
beliefs.
At the rate you're going, you're going to welcome death as a way out.
Poor Freddy...

Eric

territory."
--G. Behn

Old March 10th 07, 05:23 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Eric Chomko

Fred J. McCall wrote:
Pat Flannery wrote:

:
:
:Fred J. McCall wrote:
:
[...]

I repeat - Jesus, you're an idiot sometimes, Pat ... and that IS your
fault.

The fact that Pat has you repeating yourself is pure entertainment.
Poor Freddy...

territory."
--G. Behn

Old March 10th 07, 05:42 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Eric Chomko

Fred J. McCall wrote:
"Eric Chomko" wrote:

:On Mar 8, 1:30 am, Fred J. McCall wrote:
: Pat Flannery wrote:
:
: :"Dubya says: 'Invade Afganistan'!"
: :"Sir, yes sir!"
: :"Dubya says: 'Invade Iraq'!"
: :"Sir, yes sir!"
: :"Torture our prisoners!"
: :"Sir, yes sir!"
: :"Heh-heh...I didn't say: 'Dubya says', so it's not my fault, ****ers."
:
: Jesus, you're an idiot sometimes, Pat ... and that IS your fault.
:
:And you lack a sense of humor.

Not at all. I just don't find most political idiocy 'funny'.

One's political idiocy is another's political humor. Geez McClod,
didn't they teach you a sense of empathy in the Navy? Or were you
napping? Maybe your folks were deficient?

VICES, McClod. V for vitality, I for intelligence, C for courage, E
for empathy, and S for sympathy. Don't get hung up on the acronym,
it'll only short your brain.

Perhaps you're only a "VIC" or less?

:But perhaps you can't help that being a
:closed rather than an open person.

There's a difference between having an open mind and having a hole in
your head, Eric. You demonstrate the latter quite nicely...

Perhaps you DO have a sense of humor as I did smile when I read the
last sentence. Fine, holes in my head, anything to have you have a
sense of humor. You're learning Freddy. When this is all over you
might actually become a real human being instead of a terminally
pedantic ass which no one wants to be around.

Wanna bet who people want to talk to at your dinner party. When was
the last time you hosted a dinner party? Invited to one? Be honest...

Eric

territory."
--G. Behn

Old March 10th 07, 05:46 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Eric Chomko

Fred J. McCall wrote:
"Eric Chomko" wrote:

:On Mar 5, 10:44 pm, Fred J. McCall wrote:
: Matt wrote:
: :Fred J. McCall wrote:
: : Matt wrote:
:
: :
: :snipped
: :
: : :http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...177726543.html
: :
: : Too easily explained as 'disgruntled employee'. Just reading the web
: : page cited and noting the phrasing makes it pretty clear that the
: : writer is more interested in 'spin' than accuracy.
: :
: :
: :Considering the circumstances of his resignation, yes, he will sound
: :like a disgruntled employee. Paraphrasing - "In my job as an analyst, I
: :can see there is no evidence of Iraq having WMDs that are a threat, but
: :the gov.au is saying that my department backs their assertion that they
: :do. I want no part of it." You value your ethical standards, too, right?
: :
: :The upshot is, if Australian intelligence was aware of this prior to
: :troop deployment to Iraq, it's not a stretch to say that so did the
: :intelligence agencies of those major countries you mentioned.
: :
: :Are you shocked that our governments might actually bend the truth for
: :the sake of furthering political endeavours? Let's face it, war is good
: :for the economy, and we really need that oil..
:
: I'm shocked that you can't read 'spin' and recognize it. Hell, I
: actually had an English course on propaganda and how it works when I
: was in high school and yet here you are not being able to recognize
: blatant bias when you read it.
:
: Ask yourself how much oil the US got from or is getting from Iraq.
:
:It is about what currency Iraq is accepting for said oil. Saddam dared
:to take euros and the current regime is back to using dollars.

And so we're back to Eric's favorite conspiracy theory....

No, no, you moron (borrowing from Rand), the JFK assassination is my
favorite conspiracy theory.

About euros vs. dollars, who conspired and how? Do tell. I mean you
have this idea about how I have a conspiracy theory. What is it? What
does it look like to you?

Eric

-- Thomas Jefferson

Old March 10th 07, 07:40 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall

"Eric Chomko" wrote:

:
:Fred J. McCall wrote:
: "Eric Chomko" wrote:
:
: :On Mar 8, 10:40 am, Pat Flannery wrote:
: : Fred J. McCall wrote:
: :
[...]

Not likely. I don't let idiots dictate my beliefs.

:At the rate you're going, you're going to welcome death as a way out.
:Poor Freddy...

See what I mean about you being an idiot, El Chimpko?

--
"You take the lies out of him, and he'll shrink to the size of
your hat; you take the malice out of him, and he'll disappear."

Old March 10th 07, 07:47 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall

"Eric Chomko" wrote:

:
:Fred J. McCall wrote:
: "Eric Chomko" wrote:
:
: :On Mar 8, 1:30 am, Fred J. McCall wrote:
: : Pat Flannery wrote:
: :
: : :"Dubya says: 'Invade Afganistan'!"
: : :"Sir, yes sir!"
: : :"Dubya says: 'Invade Iraq'!"
: : :"Sir, yes sir!"
: : :"Torture our prisoners!"
: : :"Sir, yes sir!"
: : :"Heh-heh...I didn't say: 'Dubya says', so it's not my fault, ****ers."
: :
: : Jesus, you're an idiot sometimes, Pat ... and that IS your fault.
: :
: :And you lack a sense of humor.
:
: Not at all. I just don't find most political idiocy 'funny'.
:
:One's political idiocy is another's political humor.

Not really. It's either funny or it isn't. This sort of stupidity
isn't.

:Geez McClod,
:didn't they teach you a sense of empathy in the Navy?

No, my job was to kill people and break ****.

:Or were you napping?

As frequently as possible. The fact that you even ask merely further
indicates your ignorance about the real military, where happiness can
frequently be composed of merely getting sufficient sleep.

:Maybe your folks were deficient?

My folks weren't in the Navy.

However, if we assume your problem is congenital, it seems obvious
that your folks were defectives.

The more stupid **** you make up the stupider you look, Eric.

:
: :But perhaps you can't help that being a
: :closed rather than an open person.
:
: There's a difference between having an open mind and having a hole in
: your head, Eric. You demonstrate the latter quite nicely...
:
:Perhaps you DO have a sense of humor as I did smile when I read the
:last sentence.

I don't know why. It's an old, tired joke.

:Fine, holes in my head, anything to have you have a
:sense of humor. You're learning Freddy.

All the time, but never from you.

:When this is all over you
:might actually become a real human being instead of a terminally
edantic ass which no one wants to be around.

What 'this' do you stupidly think is going on, Eric?

:Wanna bet who people want to talk to at your dinner party. When was
:the last time you hosted a dinner party? Invited to one? Be honest...

I've never cared for dinner parties, so I don't have them. I stick to
things I enjoy. I have the luxury of doing that, you see.

Why would I want to host a dinner party, El Chimpko?

--
"It's always different. It's always complex. But at some point,
somebody has to draw the line. And that somebody is always me....