Did The Chinese Violate Any Treaties?

Old January 21st 07, 07:10 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Rand Simberg[_1_]

Default Did The Chinese Violate Any Treaties?

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 03:47:43 GMT, in a place far, far away, "Greg D.
Moore \(Strider\)" made the phosphor
on my monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 17:16:41 -0600, in a place far, far away, Pat
Flannery made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

Rand Simberg wrote:
A "genocidal war"?

They're all Arabs.

Which is rather like saying "they're all Europeans".

Nope.

Wow, you've got me convinced. What a resounding argument.

It's as much of an "argument" as Pat put forth.

It's no surprise that fewer and fewer people pay attention to anything you
have to say.

What's your evidence for that?
Old January 21st 07, 07:11 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 05:42:55 +0100, in a place far, far away, Fafnir
made the
phosphor on my monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

Rand Simberg wrote:
A "genocidal war"?

They're all Arabs.

Which is rather like saying "they're all Europeans".

Nope.

Yep.

Kurds aren't Arabs - they're Kurds.

And Persians (also Shiites) aren't Arabs.

I never claimed that either Kurds or Persians are Arabs.

Ignorance of these facts by Americans caused the current disaster in Iraq.

I'm not ignorant of those facts.
Old January 21st 07, 07:32 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message

It's no surprise that fewer and fewer people pay attention to anything you
have to say.

What's your evidence for that?

You really are either blind or so egotistical it's not funny.

Look around. Look at what everyone around here has been saying about you
and your postings.

Old January 21st 07, 08:09 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_2_]

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message

There's no law or treaty that's against vaporising or essentially
shooting down your own stuff.. We took out TWA flight 800, so what's the
difference. They kill off one of their satellites, and we killed all
those onboard that departing flight. I'm not sure, but I think there's
a moral difference to behold that's in there somewhere.

"Christopher" wrote in message

Translation: The US DoD has been planning to have sole US military
access to space to the exclusion of all other nations it doen't like,
and when China shows its not going to be pushed around the US DoD
cries foul.

Rand Simberg: Utter nonsense.
Translation: we're going to treat space exactly the way we treat
the seas.

When exactly are we going to start doing that? (being honest and nice
that is)

BTW; there's all sorts of do-not-sail portions of our seas that are
currently fortified with our best DoD talent and resources. I don't
believe space is any different, especially the space that's directly or
near enough over American interest.
-

Chinese Shoot Down Satellite
http://us.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/01...ile/index.html

All nations (including the all-knowing USofA) have the right of
terminating known spy satellites that are operating over their realm of
whatever can be seen or otherwise monitored from such nearby LEO space.

What I hadn't previously realized is that a given missile's horizontal
range is an indication as to accomplishing half that amount of range in
vertical travel, which makes North Korea entirely capable of clearing
out those pesky spy satellites as having been taking such unauthorised
look-sees at whatever they're up to. I'm certain we'd do the same of
taking out a North Korean spy satellite, especially were it in a LEO
path that made it capable of monitoring our every move.

I do believe that many of our spy satellites have operated near the 200
km mark, thus as little as a 400 km tactical field missile (perhaps one
of 500 km for good measure) should to do the trick. However, tracking
and obviously timing down to something better than a millisecond is
required unless the amount of explosive payload is rather substantial if
not thermal nuclear.

According to a spokesman for the National Security Council, the
ground-based, medium-range ballistic missile knocked an old
Chinese weather satellite from its orbit about 537 miles above
Earth. The missile carried a "kill vehicle" and destroyed the
satellite by ramming it.

This indicates that China has no apparent faults with their capably
tracking and essentially playing lethal touch tag with their own kind,
which obviously means they don't even require all that much explosive
energy, thereby making their efforts with less inert mass is certainly
fly-by-rocket efficient.

Actually, a retrograde impact would be rather impressive, though
extremely difficult to achieve.

I'm also fairly certain that quality SAR imaging via other than US spy
satellites has become doable by many of those capable of launching
scientific whatever missions. Their's may not be as good as ours, but
never the less, SAR imaging simply beats anything CCD optical by multi
fold, easpecially informative (nearly 3D) if obtained at 45 degrees.
-
Brad Guth

Old January 21st 07, 10:17 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Charles Buckley

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:
"Rand Simberg" wrote in message

It's no surprise that fewer and fewer people pay attention to anything you
have to say.

What's your evidence for that?

You really are either blind or so egotistical it's not funny.

Look around. Look at what everyone around here has been saying about you
and your postings.

I killfiled Rand a long time ago. Only see him when others
respond. He was cool back when he was sane. Now, he's essentially
the same as any terrorist out there.. Here's he's trying to argue
that killing an entire religious minority is not genocide..

sheesh..

Old January 21st 07, 02:17 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 06:32:43 GMT, in a place far, far away, "Greg D.
Moore \(Strider\)" made the phosphor
on my monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message

It's no surprise that fewer and fewer people pay attention to anything you
have to say.

What's your evidence for that?

You really are either blind or so egotistical it's not funny.

Look around. Look at what everyone around here has been saying about you
and your postings.

*Everyone*?

I don't think so.
Old January 21st 07, 02:18 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 02:17:51 -0700, in a place far, far away, Charles
Buckley made the phosphor on my monitor

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:
"Rand Simberg" wrote in message

It's no surprise that fewer and fewer people pay attention to anything you
have to say.
What's your evidence for that?

You really are either blind or so egotistical it's not funny.

Look around. Look at what everyone around here has been saying about you
and your postings.

I killfiled Rand a long time ago. Only see him when others
respond. He was cool back when he was sane. Now, he's essentially
the same as any terrorist out there.. Here's he's trying to argue
that killing an entire religious minority is not genocide..

No one is killing an entire religious minority in Iraq. Pat's
statement remains hyperbolic.
Old January 21st 07, 02:31 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 18:54:15 -0600, in a place far, far away, Pat
Flannery made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

wrote:

Those were dangerous games, because the prospect of al-Qaeda getting
its hands on weapons of mass destruction was *absolutely intolerable*.

And he wouldn't be the person to give them to al-Qaeda, as he had a
secular, not Islamic, form of government.

I guess that would explain why he offered rewards to Islamic
terrorists in Israel.

US space weapons no threat, but 'treaties' may be Jim Oberg Policy 1 November 13th 06 04:52 PM
European and Chinese space cooperation highlighted by visit of Chinese Prime Minister Jacques van Oene News 0 December 10th 04 04:29 PM
Chinese Constellations alt.clearing.O5 Astronomy Misc 1 November 2nd 03 01:10 AM
Chinese spacecraft RDG History 83 November 1st 03 09:46 PM
Chinese do it! Andrew Tubbiolo Policy 48 October 28th 03 08:23 PM