Chinese do it!

Old October 15th 03, 02:45 AM
Andrew Tubbiolo

Default Chinese do it!

Hi All:

Just heard news the Chinese have launched about 30 min ago. None
of the ephem services list it yet. Too bad I did not generate a fake set.
Anybody know if the initial ground track takes it near the U.S. West
Coast?

--
Andrew

Old October 15th 03, 03:36 AM
Andrew Gray

In article , Andrew Tubbiolo wrote:

Hi All:

Just heard news the Chinese have launched about 30 min ago. None
of the ephem services list it yet. Too bad I did not generate a fake set.
Anybody know if the initial ground track takes it near the U.S. West
Coast?

http://www.satobs.org/seesat/Oct-2003/0111.html

JimO posted a set of predicted passes for the US, based pretty much on
this data (?), to ss.history a couple of days ago; you might want to try
the almighty google.

--
-Andrew Gray

Old October 15th 03, 04:11 AM
Allen Meece

OK! I'm a delireously happy space cadet today. Because the commies are back!
And they're gonna try for the moon which means we'll have to race em again and
spend some money on manned exploration.
^
//^\\
~~~ near space elevator ~~~~
~~~members.aol.com/beanstalkr/~~~
Old October 15th 03, 05:03 AM
Brett Buck

Allen Meece wrote:
OK! I'm a delireously happy space cadet today. Because the commies are back!
And they're gonna try for the moon which means we'll have to race em again and
spend some money on manned exploration.

I don't see that at all. Great for the Chinese, but it's mild
curiosity to the rest of the world.

Brett

Old October 15th 03, 06:06 AM
Ian Stirling

Allen Meece wrote:
OK! I'm a delireously happy space cadet today. Because the commies are back!
And they're gonna try for the moon which means we'll have to race em again and
spend some money on manned exploration.

Anyone else think in some ways a space race might be almost the worst thing
that could happen at this point?

Entrenching the $millions/ton lauch crowd even further won't do good things.

--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | | Ian Stirling.
Money is a powerful aphrodisiac, but flowers work almost as well.
Old October 15th 03, 06:24 AM
John Penta

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 05:06:48 +0000 (UTC), Ian Stirling
wrote:

Allen Meece wrote:
OK! I'm a delireously happy space cadet today. Because the commies are back!
And they're gonna try for the moon which means we'll have to race em again and
spend some money on manned exploration.

Anyone else think in some ways a space race might be almost the worst thing
that could happen at this point?

Entrenching the $millions/ton lauch crowd even further won't do good things.

Only if you're fanatically libertarian re space.

Personally? I could care less if it fits with
commercial/private-sector space dreams of anybody...

Let's just go back, dammit.

Why?

Cuz we can. Why need a better reason. It's there, we can do it.

So we go and do it, dammit.
Old October 15th 03, 07:09 AM
Rand Simberg

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 01:24:47 -0400, in a place far, far away, John
Penta made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such
a way as to indicate that:

Anyone else think in some ways a space race might be almost the worst thing
that could happen at this point?

Entrenching the $millions/ton lauch crowd even further won't do good things.

Only if you're fanatically libertarian re space.

Personally? I could care less if it fits with
commercial/private-sector space dreams of anybody...

Let's just go back, dammit.

Why?

Cuz we can. Why need a better reason. It's there, we can do it.

So we go and do it, dammit.

Ah, the anthem of the economically and politically ignorant.

Old October 15th 03, 11:21 AM
Alan Erskine

"Andrew Tubbiolo" wrote in message

Nooo!

The Russians did it. It just happens there's a Chinese communist astronaut
aboard.

The Chinese have copied the Russian space vehicle, and the space suit as
well.

--
Alan Erskine
alanerskine(at)optusnet.com.au

The U.S. Government is in the
peculiar position of toppling foreign
governments in the name of democracy.

Oh, how democractic!

Old October 15th 03, 11:52 AM
Dave

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
u...
"Andrew Tubbiolo" wrote in message

Nooo!

The Russians did it. It just happens there's a Chinese communist

astronaut
aboard.

The Chinese have copied the Russian space vehicle, and the space suit as
well.

Its more original than that being fair to China. The separate control and
power on the orbital module is pretty signficiant a departure to suggest its
not purely a Soyuz clone.