Defects Push Back Lauch of Europe's ATV Until May 2007

Old November 2nd 05, 02:49 PM
Jim Oberg

Default Defects Push Back Lauch of Europe's ATV Until May 2007

published where, please?

"rk" wrote in message

"Defects Push Back Lauch of Europe's ATV Until May 2007"
Peter B. de Selding, Paris

Multiple defects in hardware and software have been found in
Europe's unmanned space tug and will delay the launch of the
20,000-kilogram vehicle to the international space station
by at least a year to May 2007, according to European
government and industry officials.

-- end excerpt --

--
rk, Just an OldEngineer
"The number of people having any connection with the project must be

Old November 2nd 05, 07:59 PM
Jim Kingdon

published where, please?

Don't know the original source, but here's one reference:

Meanwhile, the ESA has experienced some delays of its own. The s first
Automated Transfer Vehicle (ATV), an unmanned cargo ship designed to
resupply the ISS, will not launch toward the space station until at
least May 2007 after inspections turned up multiple hardware and
software problems.
http://www.space.com/businesstechnol...fifthyear.html

Old November 2nd 05, 10:22 PM
John Doe

Jim Kingdon wrote:
Meanwhile, the ESA has experienced some delays of its own. The s first
Automated Transfer Vehicle (ATV), an unmanned cargo ship designed to
resupply the ISS, will not launch toward the space station until at
least May 2007 after inspections turned up multiple hardware and
software problems.

Considering it is already late (should have launched first in 2004),
this is terrible news. But not surprising since most new vehicles tend
to have such delays. Puts the russian delays for Zvezda into perspective.

However, the space.com artile just casually mentions the delay without
pointing to a formal announcement by ESA. So this may be a leak that has
not yet been confirmed.

There is an interesting article about the automation and
software/hardware redudancy at:
http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/ATV/SEMSEV5Y3EE_0.html

There is no remote control of ATV possible. There will be remotely
triggered "Hold, Retreat, Escape or Abort"
That article. dated oct 12, makes no mention of innaugural flight.

The ESA web site doesn't have any recent news releases about such a one
year delay. And many of its web pages still mention first launch in
2006.
Old November 3rd 05, 12:36 AM
Brian Thorn

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 16:22:35 -0500, John Doe wrote:

Meanwhile, the ESA has experienced some delays of its own. The s first
Automated Transfer Vehicle (ATV), an unmanned cargo ship designed to
resupply the ISS, will not launch toward the space station until at
least May 2007

Considering it is already late (should have launched first in 2004),
this is terrible news.

And a year ago, pundits were questioning which would fly first,
STS-114 or Jules Verne. Oops.

But not surprising since most new vehicles tend
to have such delays. Puts the russian delays for Zvezda into perspective.

Zvezda wasn't a new design. Funny how NASA can't do anything right in
your book, but Zvezda and ATV are "not surprising" and there has been
a deafening silence from you about the Soyuz TMA-6 near-miss.

Spaceflight is hard. Period.

Brian
Old November 3rd 05, 01:35 AM
Michael Kent

Jim Oberg wrote:
published where, please?

It's the lead story in the 10 Oct 05 issue of Space News (volume 16
issue 40).

Mike

-----
Michael Kent Apple II Forever!!
St. Peters, MO

Old November 3rd 05, 02:04 AM
Jim Kingdon

http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/ATV/SEMSEV5Y3EE_0.html

Thanks. This is quite informative (though it does kind of read like a
"here's why we're late" document).
Old November 3rd 05, 10:07 AM
John Doe

Brian Thorn wrote:
Zvezda wasn't a new design. Funny how NASA can't do anything right in
your book, but Zvezda and ATV are "not surprising" and there has been
a deafening silence from you about the Soyuz TMA-6 near-miss.

Whis is why I said that it put Zvezda's delays into perspective. At
the time, US politicians were extremely critical of russia being
unreliable, late, underfunded etc etc and that it shouldn't have been on
the critical path. But everyone has delays.

As I recall, the shuttle was also late by a few years for its first
flight (isn't that why Skylab couldn't be saved ?)

One that is interesting is HTV. Interesting because so little is known
about it in terms of readyness status and planned launch date. is it
still vapourware, or is there real hardware and launch vehicles close to
being ready ?

With the future of shuttle being debated, an ATV launch in spring 2006
might make it a lot easier for the USA to scale back or end the shuttle
right there and then. Delaying ATV will help justify continued shuttle
operation by making ATV look even more unrealiable than the russians.

An consider that CEV is also likely to be delayed if it actually
proceeds to completion.
Old November 3rd 05, 05:03 PM
Jim Kingdon

With the future of shuttle being debated, an ATV launch in spring 2006
might make it a lot easier for the USA to scale back or end the shuttle
right there and then. Delaying ATV will help justify continued shuttle
operation by making ATV look even more unrealiable than the russians.

I would think it would give NASA the chance to let the shuttle launch
the modules which were designed to launch on shuttle, rather than
doing logistics with shuttle. Unless something changes, it looks like
significant parts of the station will remain on the ground in Florida
permanently.

Although the big catch with ATV is flight rate. It is a pretty
capable vehicle (large payload and all), but last I heard, it wasn't
going to be financially feasible to fly it very often (something like
once every 12-18 months is my recollection).
Old November 8th 05, 11:58 AM
LooseChanj

On or about Wed, 02 Nov 2005 17:36:37 -0600, Brian Thorn made the sensational claim that:
And a year ago, pundits were questioning which would fly first,
STS-114 or Jules Verne. Oops.

I've wondered what the point in naming an unmanned single use cargo vehicle was
since I first heard the name. Is it specific to the first example, or a program
name like "Apollo"?
--
This is a siggy | To E-mail, do note | Just because something
It's properly formatted | who you mean to reply-to | is possible, doesn't

Old November 9th 05, 07:49 AM
Jim Kingdon

I've wondered what the point in naming an unmanned single use cargo
vehicle was since I first heard the name. Is it specific to the first
example, or a program name like "Apollo"?

Given how infrequently the ATV will fly, it won't seem like too much
for them to have names ;-(.

There's at least some precedent for naming single use vehicles:
Individual US capsules in the 60s at least had nicknames (snoopy,
charlie brown, liberty, etc). Although I guess they were staffed, so
maybe that makes it a bit different...

And yes, Jules Verne is the first ATV, not a name for the whole ATV
series.