Titan will be destroyed!

Old January 14th 05, 09:34 AM
Pete Lawrence

Default Titan will be destroyed!

While showing a group of primary school kids the delights of Saturn
the other night, I pointed out that the 'star' to the edge of the
field of view was in fact Titan. I then explained to them that
Huygens would be parachuting down to the surface of Titan. One of the
group asked what would eventually happen to it, to which I replied
that it would probably ultimately be destroyed.

One of the other kids then piped up "Awwww..... I like Titan!"

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old January 14th 05, 09:54 AM
Steve

Priceless!!!!

Old January 14th 05, 12:45 PM
Charles Gilman

That reminds me of someone who heard "The Huygens probe is being sent to
Titan, Saturn's largest moon" on the radio and wrote in to ask why Saturn's
largest moon needed tightening.

Old January 14th 05, 02:12 PM
Martin Frey

Pete Lawrence wrote:

While showing a group of primary school kids the delights of Saturn
the other night, I pointed out that the 'star' to the edge of the
field of view was in fact Titan. I then explained to them that
Huygens would be parachuting down to the surface of Titan. One of the
group asked what would eventually happen to it, to which I replied
that it would probably ultimately be destroyed.

One of the other kids then piped up "Awwww..... I like Titan!"

A primary lad (are stories like this always about boys?) was really
disappointed that Venus wasn't going to be toast after the transit.
I'd already done the bit about Venus being toast anyway - but he
wouldn't settle for anything less than total destruction.

Do boys born human but raised by PlayStations become daleks?

Cheers

Martin

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
Old January 14th 05, 02:25 PM
Robert Geake

"Charles Gilman" wrote in message
That reminds me of someone who heard "The Huygens probe is being sent to
Titan, Saturn's largest moon" on the radio and wrote in to ask why

Saturn's
largest moon needed tightening.

"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message
While showing a group of primary school kids the delights of Saturn
the other night, I pointed out that the 'star' to the edge of the
field of view was in fact Titan. I then explained to them that
Huygens would be parachuting down to the surface of Titan. One of the
group asked what would eventually happen to it, to which I replied
that it would probably ultimately be destroyed.

One of the other kids then piped up "Awwww..... I like Titan!"

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk

Surley not!!!!
I reckon you made that up

Old January 14th 05, 02:44 PM
M Holmes

Martin Frey wrote:

A primary lad (are stories like this always about boys?) was really
disappointed that Venus wasn't going to be toast after the transit.
I'd already done the bit about Venus being toast anyway - but he
wouldn't settle for anything less than total destruction.

Do boys born human but raised by PlayStations become daleks?

Boys were interested in large scale destruction before Playstations were
even thought of. Give two trains and a piece of track to two nine year
old boys and you'll have a train crash before you've even managed to sit
down.

FoFP

Old January 14th 05, 03:15 PM
Roger Smith

"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message
While showing a group of primary school kids the delights of Saturn
the other night, I pointed out that the 'star' to the edge of the
field of view was in fact Titan. I then explained to them that
Huygens would be parachuting down to the surface of Titan. One of the
group asked what would eventually happen to it, to which I replied
that it would probably ultimately be destroyed.

One of the other kids then piped up "Awwww..... I like Titan!"

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk

According to an item on Meridian TV this lunchtime, Titan is the only body
in the solar system, other than Earth, that has an atmosphere.

Perhaps the author would have benefited from Pete's class.

Regards, Roger

Old January 14th 05, 04:33 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 12:45:53 -0000, "Charles Gilman"
wrote:

That reminds me of someone who heard "The Huygens probe is being sent to
Titan, Saturn's largest moon" on the radio and wrote in to ask why Saturn's
largest moon needed tightening.

Lol - that's great!

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old January 14th 05, 07:14 PM
Martin

"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message
While showing a group of primary school kids the delights of Saturn
the other night, I pointed out that the 'star' to the edge of the
field of view was in fact Titan. I then explained to them that
Huygens would be parachuting down to the surface of Titan. One of the
group asked what would eventually happen to it, to which I replied
that it would probably ultimately be destroyed.

One of the other kids then piped up "Awwww..... I like Titan!"

--
Pete

Are you sure that was a child and not a BBC "Science" journalist?

Martin

Old January 14th 05, 09:57 PM
Tim Auton

Pete Lawrence wrote:

While showing a group of primary school kids the delights of Saturn
the other night, I pointed out that the 'star' to the edge of the
field of view was in fact Titan. I then explained to them that
Huygens would be parachuting down to the surface of Titan. One of the
group asked what would eventually happen to it, to which I replied
that it would probably ultimately be destroyed.

One of the other kids then piped up "Awwww..... I like Titan!"

This is me being anal again. I promise I won't make a habit of it. I
note this was posted separately to sci.astro.amateur. I think
cross-posting is appropriate in some circumstances and this is one
such circumstance. The message is appropriate to both groups,
the real heart of the problem, it bugs me seeing the same message
twice separately and following two wholly separate threads about the
same subject.

/netcop

Tim
--